Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

What are you looking for?

TheIndieStation

Hey all!

Last week I slowly started to get back into recording my tutorials. Currently I am only recording and editing them, instead of releasing them directly like I normally do. This allows me to have a more steady upload rate, and thus a better shedule for you! The estimated date in which the last couple of videos of my Basic race game with AI tutorial series will be uploaded, will be July 14th.

After my current tutorial series is done, I will start planning out the next one which is going to be another advanced one that I know you guys will LOVE! More about this can be found later in this post. Another issue that I am trying to solve, actually requires your input. Untill now I just recorded my tutorials in a way that I thought was what you wanted, but the truth is, I never actually asked about your opinions. So I am really hoping that you will drop me some valuable info in this topic, so I can take it with me when I am starting to plan out my next series. Below you will find some questions I would like to have your input on:

1.) Why is Stencyl the game engine of your choice?
2.) Have you ever tried another engine, and why don't you use it anymore?
3.) Do you have serious plans in chasing a gamedev career, or is this just a hobby?
4.) What are your biggest fears/challenges as a (hobbyist) game developer?
5.) How long do you prefer each tutorial to be?
6.) How often would you like to see a new video being uploaded?
7.) What are you missing in my tutorials?
8.) Would you like to have more detailed explanations of complex functions?
9.) If I would also create paid tutorials series, would you be interested in buying them, and why?
10.) Would you like to actively help and spread TiS content if there was a reward system in place?

Some of these questions might not sound logical to you, but your honest answers can help me decide which way to go, and make sure TheIndieStation will only grow instead of me just running into the wilds, only to figure out that I could have spend my time much better on other things!

Happy developing!

« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 03:13:23 am by TheIndieStation »

squeeb

I like this!  I'll give input on the topics when I have some more time tomorrow!  And a keyboard vs my phone ;p

TheIndieStation

Turns out not allot of people are willing to help with this haha

Donni11

I've been following the Assetforge project by Kenney ever since the beginner. A free copy sounds great! Signed up!
The Stencyl Discord Channel , Where the real Stencyl work happens ;).

TheIndieStation

This post has much more important subjects then just the entry to the Giveaway ;)

KramerGames

I'd like to help but I'm transitioning over to Unity.
Parasites United  (Idle Parasite Game)

didimayz

Stencyl's logical, node based approach to game design and simplicity with power is the key of my choice.

Yes i tried Game Studio.    Learn Curve is harder than Stencyl

3.) Do you have serious plans in chasing a gamedev career, or is this just a hobby?
Yes i got serious plans. 

--

I think, 10 minutes for each is good.   But of course, for complex tutorials you can extend duration.

if possible,  1 video / week.

I just saw your tutorials,  so cant say anything right now.

Race Game tutorial is a good example.  You should give real world examples when you explain complex functions for better understanding. 

9.) If I would also create paid tutorials series, would you be interested in buying them, and why?
Yes,  i pay.   You should try a udemy course maybe.  there are only 3 courses about stencyl and they are outdated and too simple.

10.) Would you like to activly help and spread TiS content if there was a reward system in place?
Maybe.

TheIndieStation

Thanks didimayz!

TheIndieStation

2 weeks left till the giveaway!

But more importantly I am still looking for your input, especially point 6!
Don't forget that your input helps me increase the production flow of my free content =)

Bombini

Hi Stefan,
thanks for all the effort!

>>It is so far the only way for me to understand how coding works.

>>Unity and Gamemaker. Unity offers too much features for my purpose.

>>Both

>>Keeping up the longterm motivation. Realising that an engine does not support certain features after already having invested a lot of time.

>>The tutorials have a nice length

>>The car series might be my next project 2018. 

>>They are well done.

>>No

>>Yes. But i would like to see more complex tutorials like light systems or complex autotile systems.

10.) Would you like to activly help and spread TiS content if there was a reward system in place?
>>I try to spread them witout rewards.

Cheers!

TheIndieStation

Thanks bombini!

About question 6, I was more looking into how often you like to see a new part of a series being uploaded. For example a new part every 2 days, or 1 new part per week.

Bombini

1 new part per week to have enough time to learn it.
Cheers!

TheIndieStation

Great! Thanks for your input =)

squeeb

I like the community, everyone is helpful, learning curve is small.. i can whip up an idea pretty quickly and see if itll work for what i am doing or not.  so far i have been able to make almost everything id need to make for a gaem or app.. if i dont know how to do it, or figure it out, someone has always helped get it done!

Ive used other engines, and prefer it to those.  Unity might be cool after i master 2d gaming.. but 2d is my favorite :p and i get down a little every time i see someone jump ship to unity :p

Started out as a hobby, now i would love to be a dev full time.  i am working towards that goal and have a 2 year plan set up.

no fears, just chasing results

i get a little eh if i see that its over 20 min haha.  but i dont mind if it, if i need to learn it

1 a week or even 2, 3  a month

Id like to see extensions!  and more image/ tile api

yes, extensions

im not big on paying for things, however i dont mind donating

Yes, i always like to help out!

TheIndieStation

Much appreciated Squeeb!