Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Horror post

MyChairHasALooIn

Some of you guys might remember me from a while back, but I did kind of vanish.

My little brother took his own life on January the 10th 2016, and it broke me completely.   I'd just arranged to collaborate on a kongregate jam, and literally had to pass the news on a few hours later and pull out.

It's been a long and tough recovery but Stencyl is still my favourite tool, and I really want to get back on it.

What I want from this post, is some quick ideas to get my hand in, (i'd do jams but the competitive aspect is  bit stressful, and I want to go easy).  So who can suggest something I can knock together to show I still got the skills.

Big love, Chairtoiletguy.

MyChairHasALooIn

Here's my last thing wot I done innit, it's hidden on the arcade so here's a link it was an experiment but the render speed is too low to be useful.
http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/31904

ceosol

I am a huge fan of creating prototypes. I best suggestion would be to create a list of game mechanics that you would like to play with. Don't take the time to develop them into full games (right now anyway). After having some fun making prototypes, you can then decide which mechanics you want to explore further.

Glad to see you are back. You are always welcome to discuss your feeling on your brother or anything else. You can private message me if you want a conversation to be more discreet.

MyChairHasALooIn

Great idea, and thanks for the offer.

First off, StencylMUD looks awesome, you seem to be cracking the one thing I can't get my head around at all, multiplayer (and that's in any setting unity etc....) some really cool stuff you're doing there keep at it :)

Second, my brother was awesome, it was horrible, there's no mental health support in the uk worth a damn anymore so I'm booked on mental health first aid courses counselling courses etc, and I'm gonna do it my bloody self.

Mechanics I'm interested in :- (good idea)

Simulation level a.i. :- if rimworld is a good enough explanation great! if not I'm not going into it here.
Rendering of any sort :- wether 2d or 3d if a game has the capacity to generate it's own imagery from some kind of sample you can get a lot more game content out of small file sizes.
Procedural Map Generation :- it's still a bit the darling of games at the moment, but many titles still seem to handle it badly.  I've actually build fairly robust level generators in stencyl before, but not used them for anything.
Hitpoints can do one :- In the early days of videogaming hitpoints where used to simplify the idea of taking damage, taken straight from real world games, we're still doing it now.  It made sense to pass the book keeping on to computers basically leading to faster game experiences, (even the most steamlined tabletop game ain't no action rpg), but games seem to struggle to move on from a system other than effectively 70's book keeping sped up to track damage, computers can easily do more complicated stuff on the fly so they bloomin' well should.

That probably adds up to a game tbh lol.

MyChairHasALooIn

Ooooh and thematically there's three parody ideas I've been mentally sitting on for a while, you should be able to read what they are from the titles alone.

Nukes and spooks, nonsensical sneaky stabby
Hearth Life starring Gordon Freemanson
Darks Holes Prepare to Brown Eye edition

Irock

hello it's good to see you again