Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Is it possible to allow a player to link their game from multiple devices?

dilzyDuck

For both pc and mobile.  So that they can link their game progress between multiple pcs, or if on mobile, across multiple mobile decives. Is it possible without coding in any way?

Also, what would it take to make a in-game online leaderboard without coding. Is it even possible?

TheIndieStation

Both are possible, but only with a small amount of php coding which is extremely easy to learn. All you  need is a basic database

dilzyDuck

I've read a little on databases and servers, but in your opinion, whats the best option for something like this, and what do i need to know from php, because i have access to php books but dont know if they include anything to do with games, just websites. I know php is mostly for servers and stuff, but i'm unsure if it makes a difference between games and websites

TheIndieStation

Well, all you have to do is store their save data into a table that they can receive using their personal ID (could be an email adress or simply a hidden ID number you give to each and one of them).

dilzyDuck

Where do i create the data bases from though, or do i cteate it through coding

TheIndieStation

Use something like PhpMyAdmin. You will need to have a host for that tho

dilzyDuck

Ok, thanks for your help. BTW, i really like your channel and have been watching you for few weeks now, ever since i began stencyl

dilzyDuck

Sorry, i'm new to all this, but phpmyadmin only talks about web servers, does that mean only for websites or it works on mobile games too. I'm making on wix until i get a better understanding of javascript and start on mobile games when i finish my website. So will one server support both my games on my websiye and on mobile

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 03:44:27 am by dilzyDuck »

JeffreyDriver

You need PHP (there are other languages though) to speak to the web server. A web server doesn't just have to host a website. The server will host your database (MySQL) in which you can store any data you need to.

Wix will let you build a website, but won't help you with your database for your game.

Personally I'd say ditch Wix, sort your own hosting and install wordpress. It'll be cheaper and give you more control in the long run. You'll still need to build the database for your game.