Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Geometry TD (PUBLISHED)

Tuo

Another day of developing done. Today's focus was on expanding the game attributes to be able to handle anything I threw at them. Fortunately, I had been doing the game with that in mind from the start, so it didn't take that long (although I didn't realize I would need two maps: one for permanent upgrades and one for temporary versions). There is now a simple ending scene and a simple world map (with only one option right now: start a random map).

At this point the main thing to do is the world aspects. The EXP system is already in place, but now I need to allow for the user to actually level up (selecting what areas to level... there are many to choose from). That will probably be my first priority. Beyond that, the only other major areas are the shop/inventory/crafting.
Don't look to me but rather to the One who is the reason for what I do. :)

If you need help, send me a PM. Even if I haven't been on in the forums in ages, I still receive those messages via email notifications. You can also reply to any of my forum posts, regardless of the age (especially if I created it), and I will likely reply.

If you want to see the programming behind certain types of games, feel free to check out my "Demo-" games on StencylForge (http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,16160.0.html)

Tuo

Instead of working on the EXP system, today I decided to add in some official missions instead of just having random maps. There are now 10 to pick from. The first 6 are more newbie-friendly, teaching the ropes and showing how different unit types can be challenging. The next 3 are special challenges, one being a difficult mashup of the types, another focusing on insane levels of armor, and the third only giving exp/gold during the first 5 waves. The last one faces down the ultimate boss, the one thing any Protector fan has wanted to destroy: a 1 million HP cabbage :D

If you need help, send me a PM. Even if I haven't been on in the forums in ages, I still receive those messages via email notifications. You can also reply to any of my forum posts, regardless of the age (especially if I created it), and I will likely reply.

If you want to see the programming behind certain types of games, feel free to check out my "Demo-" games on StencylForge (http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,16160.0.html)

Tuo

I keep forgetting to update this thread. The EXP system is still waiting longer. I've spent my time making a nice button system instead of using my drawing codes to handle the buttons. It's taken a while, but I think users will appreciate it much more.

Tuo

Well, NO ONE should leverage the #1 TD complaint against me...

I just implemented the speed option (the core has been in the game since the start if you saw my stream, but just now actually put in the method to change it).

Even at a speed of just 1, the game plays at around the 2x form for Protector. However, with a slider, you can change the speed to anywhere from 0 (pause) to 14, at increments of 0.1

I just played at a speed of 6.8, and the actors were flying so fast my eyes could barely keep up! Fortunately since I designed it from the start to support any speed, the game didn't crash at any point, from 0 to such a high speed (for reference, a speed of 7 means that actors can have a velocity of up to 350 and 14 means up to 700 :D )

Still no work on the EXP part, but I've now finessed through most of the rest of it. Just a few more touches with my new button system...

Tuo

After some more work on it this evening, I have finally implemented the EXP system. It's still rather bare-bones, but it works. Tomorrow will likely be focused on making the system better (i.e. adding a pop-up that explains how "liberation" means "get that loot!")

Tuo

Pop-ups for the EXP are done, and now I am starting on inventory management, which is going to be a rather sizable hurdle, especially as now I can see my loot is very imbalanced (i.e. loot with values of 10+ with a loot ability of 0)

Tuo

I fixed the loot imbalances now. Found it was just a few minor tweaks (thankfully!). Now, you can have a "Goat of Power" equipped right next to an "Igloo of Earth" and "Quill of Fire", while eating some "Spinach of Insanity"… yeah I had some fun with the names :D

Tuo

For some good news, this morning I found myself playing my game.

Yeah, that's the good news. For those of you who also are developers (likely most of you reading this), you can understand that statement. So often with programming, we have to TEST games, but to actually get engrossed in it and start just PLAYING it is a different thing entirely. I might have made adjusted things to be a bit too easy, but in today's world, often too easy > too difficult.

merrak

So often with programming, we have to TEST games, but to actually get engrossed in it and start just PLAYING it is a different thing entirely.

Yep :) The other downside (besides lost time) is that it starts to feel old after a while... perhaps a contributor to feature creep.

Tuo

Actually the feature creep in this game is actually helping me out (if I understand the term correctly). I have been slow with implementing the extra features, and now that I am enjoying the game, I want those features in the game (i.e. the shop and blacksmith, along with inventory management as I have nearly 200 items now ;) )

To keep the game from getting old, I rely on my own variation of RNG to make infinite unique levels custom to whatever difficulty one desires, along with the fact that you can upgrade any stat literally forever.

BTW, Thanks for posting. It helps to know people actually read what I write ;).

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 03:43:24 pm by Tuo »

merrak

BTW, Thanks for posting. It helps to know people actually read what I write ;).

I usually don't have much to say, but I read through Journals posts pretty regularly :) I wasn't able to catch the original Twitch casts, but I've been following this journal since the start.

Tuo

I usually don't have much to say, but I read through Journals posts pretty regularly :) I wasn't able to catch the original Twitch casts, but I've been following this journal since the start.

Touche. I actually do somewhat the same... perhaps I should start posting occasionally on other's as well...

Anyways, I just fixed the other #1 complaint against the Protector series: You can now sort the loot! Even in my limited playthroughs, I have about 200 loot, so it is very helpful.

Now, I just need to be able to equip said loot (consumables work but not equips)... :P

Tuo

Whatever does happen, I can certainly say that a high loot ability WILL pay off in this game in the long run. For anyone who was counting, I only mentioned four types thus far. The fifth is a total level up for a certain criteria. With over a dozen areas one can upgrade, it is not necessarily OP, but a high looting ability will certainly start to accelerate one's growth... then again, as all abilities can upgraded ad infinitum, any of them can become OP eventually :P
Now that equipping loot works, I can say this was my greatest understatement about this game. After only about an hour of playing, I practically broke the game (not really, but Flash had to ask for more storage on my computer to handle the humongous list of inventory). By focusing on loot, I kept getting better loot, which I then sorted and put on the best loot-generating items, which created a cycle in which my level 0 loot ability quickly escalated to well over 2000... while I am making the game to be infinitely expandable, the average player should not reach 100 in normal play for say 24 hours (for reference, level 100 basically doubles one's abilities, so I had over 20x my loot ability).  One secret in the game is that there is a tiny chance (loot/1000) of getting an instant level up for a random skill, so with my ability that high (and with getting about 500-1000 loot each game), I was getting insane levels in not just loot, but also other areas. In fact, I needed to use an auto-clicker to just get through all of the upgrades as my finger got tired after around the 100th one :P.

Tuo

Today's focus was two-fold. First, I nerfed Loot immensely (and reworked a lot of other things too), so now it's not nearly as powerful (although IMO it's still the most powerful skill). Now the gameplay is much more balanced. The second was the addition of an entire new scene: the shop. Again, learning from Undefined's Protector series, I added in a few new buttons, including a "Sell all below a certain value" (and then a way to set said value). That should help a lot with the crap items you get along with the good ones. In addition, I added a detail I think every game shop should have: an "Undo" option in case you use a "Sell all" option accidentally (which was actually really simple: press ESC to load the game (was saved before entering) and then reload the page).

Tuo

Crafting is now done. Also, it seems balanced... enough. I'm sure there will be later tweaks if I actually get a lot of players. For reference, how crafting works is that you can either get materials randomly as possible drops or convert old items into materials instead of selling them. You can then make whatever equipment you want as long as you have the material cost to cover it (which doubles for each level and multiplies by 1.5 for each additional skill you add on), up to 3 skills per equipment (allowing for repeats). The balance I am going for is that the store is rather "cheaper", but it is totally luck-based as to what you can buy, whereas crafting has much more control. The system took longer than expected because of all of the checks I needed to put into it (i.e. the 1.5x applies to skills you have previously added to current equipment, so I had to make sure they didn't go negative if you add on another skill).

Now, there is really only one scene left to do: Options & Unlockables. However, that also means I need to add in more unlockables :P. For an example, the towers each have little faces on them that move around, so I intend to add in other faces that you can switch to as my version of Protector IV/IV.V's versions of "Protectomon". For those who are color-blind (or just OCD about options), basically every color I use in the game is also going to be an option, so that will be fully customizable (i.e. if you focus on attack for a tower, it will slowly turn to become that color so that it is easier to remember what you are focusing on for each).

Oh, and I need to add in sound too... The good news is that without the sound, I have kept the size down to 1.5 MB by using a ton of image manipulation. Most of my actors are 32x32 or smaller.

The goal is to publish by the weekend to Kongregate to put it into this month's competition for top games. As of now, there are only 4 games with over 3.5 for August, so I have a much better chance of getting top 10 this month.