Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

is it more efficient to use an image or actor on IOS

designpeg

Hi, does anyone have a definitive answer to this - is it more efficient on CPU/GPU use to display and rotate an image instance or a MINIMAL  actor?

I'm in the process of swapping a number of elements in my game over to using images, but just want to be sure I'm gaining something.

JeffreyDriver

As I understand it, images will give you better performance. Are you actually running into issues, or are you just trying to make it as efficient as possible?

designpeg

Hi JeffreyDriver, no I'm not running into issues, I'm just trying to make my game as efficient as possible. I've been working on my game for over a year, and a lot of the earlier things I did can be duplicated by using images more, so I'm swappping them over, but just wondered if I was spending the effort without any real improvement - (everything is running pretty smoothly on my old iPad).

One advantage I've found converting to using images is that I can get the game to load faster, as it doesn't load and create all the actors used in the scene at the beginning.  I did a few tests and you can pretty much stick any number of files in the extra folder and it makes no difference to load time.  I've a large number of hand drawn backgrounds that are loaded as you move through the game, and the image method means i can pretty much have endless variations.