Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Rusty Floyd Shotgun

KaB00MxRHx

Hey all ,

So I grew up like a lot of you playing video games as a kid and I always thought it would be awesome to learn how to make one. I once told a family friend when I was really young that I would make a game for them one day because I really was obsessed with the idea. Time went on and I grew up and got a career as a helicopter technician... then I remembered that thing I told my family friend when I was around 10 years old. I started looking up how to learn to create a video game. An article I read recommended Stencyl for its ease of use and said it was great for 2D applications. So I've been setting to work on learning this awesome tool that makes using code much more accessible. I've worked through both crash courses and followed along the tutorial slideshows where you create an avoidance game and got the gist of using those blocks to create behaviors and events and such.

My background in art is pretty much non-existant, same goes for programming. The deepest I've gone is in Blizzard's warcraft 3 map editor attempting to create my own version of DotA and other games I would mess around with the triggers in there. Had a blast doing that kind of stuff.

My idea for this game is basically putting my family friend as the main character, his name is Rusty. He's a beer-gut sportin guy with a sweet mustache who likes to shoot guns and pretty much lives on pink floyd. I thought having a character as him having to travel through a psychadelic-inspired world shooting through zombies as a kind of action/explorer-lite game would be pretty awesome. Different enemy types and a few different biomes, as well as incorporating bosses would be great. A health bar for Rusty, consumable ammo that you have to find throughout the levels, and limited health. I'm unaware of the best method to create all of my assets but so far I've made some very basic frames of Rusty, one front, one side view in Photoshop. Right now the plan is to create all animations and art assets, mostly, through photoshop, either by drawing stuff out first and then pixeling it out or doodling inside the program. I've created Rusty at about 100 pixels tall and I think around 70 pixels wide. Right off the bat I'm wondering how shadows will work, if I don't shade an asset correctly for the scene it's being placed in I'm sure it'll look funky. If anyone has any tricks to the trade on the basic stuff that I'm about to be cutting my teeth on it would be greatly appreciated! I'm welcome to any advice/opinions anyone can offer!   8)

As I make notable progress and have questions I'll be sure to update this post along with questions I may have. Thank you to anyone who cares to follow along on this sure-to-be long and arduous journey.   :D :D

KaB00MxRHx

I wanna know if anyone thinks this project is too ambitious? For a new person messing with stencyl/photoshop ?

JeffreyDriver

It will probably be tough to go straight for a large project like this. There's lots of good reasons to start small, creating prototypes of the mechanics and functions you want to include. You might get frustrated trying to create a complex project straight away when you run into issues, also, you'll quite likely do things the 'wrong' way.  I know that I did when I first started using Stencyl, as I learnt more, I figured out better working methods and solutions for the things I was trying to do.

Don't worry too much about the graphics for now. Focus on getting something that works well and is fun to play. You can simply swap out the graphics later if you need to. This is especially true for prototyping.

You can achieve your project without having to code, so have fun learning Stencyl.  If you get stuck, be sure to ask questions in the forum.

Start with the Crash Course though - http://www.stencyl.com/help/start/

KaB00MxRHx

Thank you for the advice. I think I'll do as you suggest and put a peg in this and come back to it later after messing around with other prototypes.

If you're linking me to the crash course where you create the platform game where you jump on the clowns I've been through that one as well as crash course 2 where you make invaders. Any other tutorials you would recommend before I start messing around with other stuff?

Thanks for your time man.

JeffreyDriver

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheIndieStation/ has a load of tutorials. And don't put your main project completely to one side. You could start to draw mockups and plan levels, upgrades, enemies etc.

KaB00MxRHx

Awesome! I see, thanks for the direction man!