Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Recording flash player gives 60 FPS, but I turn off recording & the FPS varies.

dotacreepy

I've noticed that if I record the game being played it will stay a constant 60fps. If I stop recording but still play, I can see that the fps goes to <30 when an explosion with particles occurs, but this was 60fps when recorded.

Thoughts on this? Are there any ways to force the computer to give all the resources to flash to ensure 60fps constant without an external program recording it? I mean the capabilities are there, right?

LIBERADO

I'm spanish, excuse me for my bad English.
I'm not a private teacher. Please, post your questions in the public forum.

dotacreepy

I wonder if you can force this when the window is active and someone is playing? Why allow a game to lag if the computer can handle it?

LIBERADO

Because the use of hardware acceleration should be a decision of the user.

dotacreepy

No, I don't think you understand. It isn't a choice I have. If I play the game without recording, the framrate is 60 until an explosion, then it drops to around 30-40 for a bit. If I'm recording, it is constantly 60fps. Me as the user, I have no choice but to allow the programs to control the frame rate, not me.

LIBERADO

I don't know why it happens. Maybe your screen recorder enables hardware acceleration during recording, which helps maintain a high and stable FPS. But this is only a guess.

dotacreepy

That's what I'm thinking too.

Do you know if the publish to EXE on the paid version of stencyl has a better frame rate than the flash player?

LIBERADO

Of course, the performance in exe format (Windows) is MUCH BETTER than in Flash format.
You can check it. Select "Windows" or "Cppia" and click on "Test Game".

Irock

Something to keep in mind is if you're using the Flash Debugger (the thing that's bundled with Stencyl and used when testing Flash games), performance will be worse than if you were using the regular Flash Player.

NobodyX

Performance on EXE is bounds and bounds better than Flash, if you're not making a browser game then I'd suggest switching away from Flash. It's free to test even though you can't do a full export.

If you didn't download visual studio already, when the installer asks you what parts to download I had to enable some that were by default disabled.
“If you wind up with a boring, miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on TV telling you how to do your shit, then YOU DESERVE IT.”
― Frank Zappa

squeeb

If you didn't download visual studio already, when the installer asks you what parts to download I had to enable some that were by default disabled.

what parts do we need to download on visual studio to test on cppia?

LIBERADO

@squeeb, have you tried this?:

NobodyX

what parts do we need to download on visual studio to test on cppia?
If Windows works but not only ccpia doesn't then I doubt it's the same problem. But iirc I think the installer was something like this and I had to enable "Prgramming Languages" https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fsanderstechnology.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F07%2Fimage11.png&f=1
“If you wind up with a boring, miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on TV telling you how to do your shit, then YOU DESERVE IT.”
― Frank Zappa

squeeb

@ Liberado and NobodyX, thank you...  I havent tried windows yet.. i always test on flash browser,  then when i want to try my build i test on a device..  ill try that and see if i can get windows and cppia running..