Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

HOUSE KEEPER Turn based RPG (WIP)

Iddo

For my second game, I will create a simple turn based RPG with a light narrative. I am still at the concept level but the game will be in black and white.

JeffreyDriver

After seeing your first game, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do for this project.

merrak

I like the idea of a black-and-white game. Would be neat to see the concept explored further.

Bombini

Iddo

A quick run down of the games metadata

Game resolution: 480x320 Scale to fit(fullscreen)

Tile size: 8x8, 16x16 block level (increased to 32x32)

movement: 16x16 tile(grid) based movement

Genre: RPG

Style: 8 bit Game boy

Color palette: Black,white and grades of blue. (5 color)

stay within the grid.

15x11 equiv

when importing to stencyl increase the resolution of your assets
4x to make it 32x32 tile size:
-make art at 16x16 then enlarge to 32x32.

Game structure:

Game state= cutscene

ACT 1,ACT 2, ACT 3

Part name

Scene

Cutscene?

event#
-Create a global number that is specific to cutscenes
and increment it during a cut scene for the different events.

Game state types:
cutscene
battle
battle cutscene
menu
world

rooms: 4

Colosseum
lobby
mc room
Wait room(enter Colosseum or warrior lounge)

Iddo

I havent been posting lately because school started and honestly I got stuck on the grid based movement behavior.
I could have found a solution within one session but it seemed like it should have been such a simple behavior for me to create that
I lost confidence and began to toy around with it at the bottom of a pit.

I finally youtubed how to do it later on and found a game maker tutorial for it.

I found myself going back to the broken behavior I had created despite looking through the tutorial and trying again.
Admittedly it took longer than it should have to create this behavior but I hit this wall because of my lack of humility.

I finally got it working though a bit laggy, I have to work out the kinks...

Iddo

Thank, I haven't had much time to work on this lately but now I do. Hopefully, I can get a barebones version of this working soon.

Edit: I couldn't find any behaviors in the forums that did really good tile-based movement. If I can get this movement behavior to a place where it can be independent of the environment of this game then I will upload it to shared resources.

detted

Sorry to hear that you haven't figured out the tile-movement yet. I remember I couldn't figure it out either, and to make it work with collisions as such as well seemed impossible. But I'm sure it's doable.

I hope you figure it out eventually, I really like your idea for this game and your restrictions. Not that far away from what I had in mind a while ago :)

Keep looking, I'm sure you'll be figuring it out soon!
Composer • Sound designer • Producer
www.tedwennerstrom.com
@TedWennerstrm

ceosol

Doing slide to x: x of self+32 and y: y of self (to move to the right) is probably the simplest solution.

If you are  afraid of using sliding, then you need to be creative with attributes:

If right is pressed
    set xend to x of self + 32

if left is pressed
    set xend to x of self - 32

When updating:
    If x of self < xend
        Set x of self to x of self + 1
    otherwise if x of self > xend
        Set x of self to x of self - 1

Do the same for up and down. If you want to make sure players can't spam click the directions, add in a boolean to turn on and off movement.

rob1221

The slide tween is how I currently handle movement in my grid-based games, but to get the smoothest movement I have to check the code actor.activePositionTweens to make sure the value is 0 before moving another step.  Just using timers will either cause bugged movement (tweening too soon) or pauses in steps (tweening too late).  This is because the actual time to slide the actor varies slightly.

The method I used in earlier grid-based games is setting the speed to some value and after some time (there's a formula I don't remember), stop moving the actor and snap to grid.  It works fine but involves more blocks than tweening (but also no code).

JeffreyDriver

The slide tween is how I currently handle movement in my grid-based games, but to get the smoothest movement I have to check the code actor.activePositionTweens to make sure the value is 0 before moving another step.  Just using timers will either cause bugged movement (tweening too soon) or pauses in steps (tweening too late).  This is because the actual time to slide the actor varies slightly.

The method I used in earlier grid-based games is setting the speed to some value and after some time (there's a formula I don't remember), stop moving the actor and snap to grid.  It works fine but involves more blocks than tweening (but also no code).

Rob, please could you share that code you mention (actor.activePositionTweens), it would be useful.

rob1221

If [actor.activePositionTweens] = 0

That's assuming the code is being used in an actor behavior where the actor is moving itself.

JeffreyDriver

If [actor.activePositionTweens] = 0

That's assuming the code is being used in an actor behavior where the actor is moving itself.

As simple as that! Lol. Thanks.

Iddo

I missed all of this... thanks, seriously, for the advice and help.