Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

3D Library Adventure

mdotedot

Thanks for the feedback.

I had a random light placement :D I was experimenting with the  positioning and dropping shadows. Just this morning I found more information about this.  So far I can see it doesn't have anything todo with ordering. But I need more experiments to be sure...
Also I noticed a generational error. When the marching square routines finds the continuous edge of the shape it doesn't 'see'  possible shapes inside the shape. But it would generate tiles for them. So I need to change this procedural generation. Hopefully I have some time tomorrow to work on it.

Hanging out in the Chat:  http://www.stencyl.com/chat/

Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

mdotedot

My ProcJam entry page

Changed random generator to an iterative generator so that each time the same level is generated, but you still have endless amounts of levels. (Might cause repetition at some point)

Changed lighting.

Click image to play the game:

Another screenshot

Animation:

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 12:23:31 am by mdotedot »

Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

merrak

Works pretty well on my end, although I think the draw distance isn't far enough to be believable. Is there a performance issue if the draw distance is further out? Fog would be more believable to me than darkness. Nevertheless, impressive work!

ChristianEs

This is soo cool, i have a question lets say you release this extension some day, do you think it would be possible to use normal stencyl blocks also when making something in 3d or it only would be possible with the 3d extension blocks. i mean we would need to learn everything from scratch if we want to make some sort of 3d game for example or we would be able to use some traditional stencyl  blocks in combination with the new blocks?

mdotedot

It takes me a lot of time learning this 3D stuff. It is fun, but not very productive.

Unfortunately there are no examples on most of the library functions. There are some showcase examples that I ported to Stencyl but things like camera movements, lighting, animations and ‘regular’ gaming mechanics are hard to find.
There seems to be a ton of methods/shader possibilities but many of them need specific ways to call / use them. Or, I still need to figure out what the underlying methodology is.

@Merrak: I still don’t have a satisfactionary fog method working; although Away3D seems to support several shadow methods.
Some lighting effects only work on Directional Lighting :(   One Fog method that looked fine works on Directional Lighting!
The flash-light effect (PointLight) that I’m using for the maze game doesn’t seem to support this.

@ChristianEs :

Most of the work I’m trying to do is to mix/match the 3D stuff with the 2D way of Stencyl

For instance the Maze Game works with tiles and actors. So the collision detection and positional display of the actors are the foundation of the game.
I’m trying to use the Away3D library to display the 2D stuff in a 3D view. So I played around with lots of camera rotation/placements.

Take for instance the Maze Grid:

Those are ‘just’ tiles from Stencyl. The target objects (BeachBalls) are actors on that grid and the player is also an actor. And even the spotlight (flash-light) is an actor that is moved when the player moves. Afterwards I hide the actors and tiles.

What I do is to create an actor and bind the 3D object to the actor using this block:

When the actor is moved the extension will make sure that the position of the 3D object will reflect the position of its actor.
I will need to do a lot of experiments with this, because I think only a limited number of game-mechanics will be able to support this method.

But for now using the actor properties combined with the 3D functions gives (in my opinion) a nice ‘stencyl-way’ of doing things:

Rotating Beach Ball:

Hopefully the learning experience for extension-users will not be as hard as what I need to go through to make the extension .. we will see

I’m currently making a demo game with most of the core blocks/functionality in separate scenes, with separate behaviors, so hopefully it will be easy to learn / use the different parts of the engine.

And to conclude: ‘I am a proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.’
But I can’t resist doing them!

mdotedot

Just a preview of what I'm working on inspired by LD40. Tomorrow I hope to work on it a bit more and turn it into a little game. And update this Journal as well with some new things I've done with the Extension.
Mostly turning 2D into 3D stuff.

mdotedot

Time for a new update on the Journal.
Live got in yesterday which prevented me to complete the Ludum Dare entry. I will work on it some more as I wanted to explore the
Tile aspects of the 3D.

For the past two weeks I’ve been working on turning a 2D game into a 3D game.

I think it would help migrating from 2D programming into 3D if it could be done with less blocks than I previously started out with.

So, I’m breaking things down into smaller demos that users might be able to pick from and copy / export the behavior.

What I found when working on converting a 2D game to a 3D game was that I had to repeat a lot of blocks.

So I present to you the following prototype:

You would be able to use this block together with regular Stencyl blocks.

For instance:

What this does is to create a 3D object with the arguments supplied and binds it to the Stencyl Actor.
So when the Stencyl actor is moving it will move along with it. The benefits are that more regular Stencyl ways can be preserved
as well as we can use the Box2D engine for physics.

This is a Demo for a 2D game where four people can share a keyboard (or in my case would use 4x blue tooth keyboards)
to move snakes around that can eat the apple.

2D version:

3D version:

The 3D version really has 4 Away3D blocks: Init engine, Remove object, create and bind, Remove engine

Next you can add more 3D features as you go along. You can play the final version I've made:

Play with WASD, Arrow Keys  and to navigate snake 2 and 3 : TFGH, IJKL

http://htmlstarter.com/Away3D/Demo/Snake/3D/Flash/

To switch views you can use the 'm' key

Next: Game with tiles

(With thanks to SadiQ for creating the 2D snake game)