Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

"Peng's Adventure" iOS / Android Release Oktober 1. 2017

Vectrex71

I'm happy to announce , that "Peng's Adventure" will be released on Oktober 1. 2017
It was a hard work with lots of frustration for me and it was 2 years in development.
But.....Finaly it's done ! Thanks god !

IMPORTANT:
I also want to say a big big "Thank you!"  to one of Stencyl's  Forum Member " Eric Matyas" and his free MusicPool:  http://soundimage.org/
I swaer, if i should made some money with "Peng's Adventure" i will pay you  for your work ! Eric Matyas is also a part of the "About" Screen inside the App ! THANKS !!

Here a short Promo Video:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/rnTnuvFgStE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/rnTnuvFgStE</a>

merrak

Do you have a link to the promo video? I'd like to check it out, but the embedded video isn't working for me.

Vectrex71

First of all, thank you for your interest !

Here the YouTube Link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85p8OjrbWkU

And here the Link to the Android Version i already released (iOS is coming soon  October 1.)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.HansjuergWuethrich.PengsAdventure

KramerGames

I've tried it but it took me 20 attempts to finish the tutorial and then the penguin went on a toilet and it looked like I had to play the tutorial again?

Also I'm curious why you chose to make an input field and then set the view to portrait. I think for an endless runner landsape would be better (I have played a dozen or so, they were all landscape format).

Greetings
Parasites United  (Idle Parasite Game)

squeeb

I like the quirkiness of the game... I agree.. it's a hard game... I'm at the dance club right now.. I'm not sure if it's hard or  it's hard because I can't see where I'm going.  I don't really try to collect coins as it's too hard to get them and make sure I make the jumps. 

JeffreyDriver

I agree with the others that it's a bit too hard. Even the tutorial was a bit of a struggle! Perhaps instead of centering the camera over the penguin, have it slightly in front to give people a little more time to react? Otherwise, it's looking good. I'll give it another play later on.

Vectrex71

Thanks guys for your feedback. I will see what i can do .... in my personal opinion it's not to hard, i think it's way to easy. One of my daughters (9 Years old) can play this game from start to the end with less than 15 Fails ! But anyway, maybe i will repositioning the camera so that the penguin is a bit more on the left side of the screen.  THANKS !!

JeffreyDriver

I didn't realise how long the tutorial was.  I thought that it stopped when you reached the toilet. When I went back to the game I wondered why the tutorial just started again, it's because I hadn't actually finished it.

Also, once I pressed start it restarted the tutorial. I was expecting it to continue the game.

The gameplay is good, and smooth. It's also quite addictive.

squeeb

I love the voice acting. :) it is pretty fun.

JeffreyDriver

I've finally finished the game with around 45 deaths. Once you get used to it, the difficulty actually seems about right, and it's quite fun, but the tutorial is still pretty tough.

In order to beat the game I found that I was memorizing the levels so that I knew when to jump, rather than just relying on my reactions, this is why the game feels difficult.

Vectrex71

Great ! Thank you for your feedback.... and what do you think about the "Endtro?" Have you recognized the "hidden" Joke ? (Hospital and Nooo!!!!) :-) i can't say more, because of spoiler alarm :-)

Vectrex71

My dear Stencyl forum friends.

"Pengs Adventure"  is on Android store now since almost a month and it's in Apple's AppStore available since 2 and a half week.
Since then i had only 100 Downloads (on Android and iOS together!) . To be honest. I'm sad and disapointed. almost 2 years i worked hard for this game. It has cost's me so much energy and money i didn't have. I asked my parents to give me 199$ to buy the Stencyl Licence. And hey.... i'm 46y old, married and 2 kids. But i have no Money at all. So Peng's Adventure was my hope for a better life. 20 Apps i made the last years. Many of them are shit. But there are also some Pearls like Balanzze , Pleezz or Peng's Adventure. but not a single App has brought me more than 10$ win. I ask me, are my apps really such a shit. i decided to instant stop furher developing. I loved it, but i have to life to and my Family also. I can't afford. In my opinion there where so idiotic Apps in both stores with a huge sucess.... "Fidget Spinner Apps, or "Apple Pen parody Apps" and so on... you know what i mean. It's hard for me to see all the sucess around me with such shitty apps.  Don't get me wrong ! I know, my apps are no masterpieces !! But i think some of them are good enough to get a bit more attention ! But i hate Marketing from the bottom of my Soul. So this could be the Point why my apps don't have success. With Peng's Adventure i made a Account at MailChimp and wrote 139 Emails to Homepages like TouchArcade and so on. But from 139 Emails only 3 are opened and only 1 klick on a link inside the Email. Thats horrible and takes my Motivation for further Projects. I think, enough is enough. I had 2 Burnouts the last 7 years.... i gave more than i can give. So all i can do is to say "Thank you" guys here at stencyl for the Software itself, the help and Support.  Thanks for about 5 years of stencyl (my first apps i made with appcelerator Titanium). Under the line i had more to pay for Software licences, Apple Developer fee and so on than i made Money with. It's so ridicolous ! and sad. But i wish all the best to YOU other developers for YOUR Apps.... May the force be with you !!

LIBERADO

You could try it on Steam: http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,49681.msg275117.html#msg275117

Also, you could ask for advice to this guy:
I can release an app on iOS and almost always get a fairly reasonable number of downloads.
Posted here: http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,54545.0.html

Hopefully someone with experience publishing for iOS can post here good advices to get enough downloads.

I'm spanish, excuse me for my bad English.
I'm not a private teacher. Please, post your questions in the public forum.

JeffreyDriver

I know how you feel to some extent. It surprises me how some games become hits (I'm not talking about Stencyl games, people have produced great games with Stencyl), but there's many games which I don't think are actually that good.

Also, I've put off buying a license as I'm concerned about not making my money back. I'm trying to wait until I know that I've got something that will at least return the money I've put in. If I can at least make my money back on the first game, I'd feel better about producing my second and third games etc. Although it's nice to think that you'll do well, it's a competitive market.

I guess that it's hard to know what will become a hit, though I imagine that good marketing is part of it. To anyone else reading this, are there any good threads here about promoting your game?

There must be some study as to what creates a hit game?

It would be a shame for you to give up. What are your strengths? Have you thought about collaborating with someone? So you can do what you're good at, and leave the other aspects to someone else. What sort of testing did you do? I don't recall seeing a thread about your games before you'd already published. I try and get feedback where possible ( though people don't always respond! Maybe they don't have anything positive to say  :D I think that people on the Stencyl forums are sometimes a little too kind.)

I've had a look at what you've done, and you've got some good stuff. Yes, there are some issues, but they can be worked on.