Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

"Peng's Adventure" iOS / Android Release Oktober 1. 2017

merrak

But i hate Marketing from the bottom of my Soul.

It doesn't matter how great your app is--if nobody knows it exists then nobody will download it. Marketing is also my least favorite activity, but I don't think it necessarily has to consist of emailing requesting reviews. Gurigraphics left me some advice a few months ago I've been thinking about for a while, since I think he's right.

...That is why it is important do not leave this to the end, and already start gathering the army.
Even for those who say that they have no interest in money,

Even at this early stage I've been wrestling with this question, "Who is my audience and how am I going to connect to them?" I've been going back and forth between a few ideas with my own project, partly for this reason. It might be a good question to ask yourself. Who do you imagine downloading and playing your game? What kind of person? What kind of interests do they hold? And what are you doing to appeal to their interests, likes, etc.? For my older apps I never asked this question, and I think I got the expected result. The games I've created that have been the most successful also had a quality that appealed to a particular interest.

This may be a good time to find a game jam to join. The next LD is still a few months away, but something like that would give you a low-stakes opportunity to experiment with a few ideas and start figuring out what works for you. It might also be easier to get some constructive criticism.

There seems to be a large audience for retro style games. Have you thought about making something in the style of a Vectrex game? (I'm assuming since it's your username that maybe you grew up with one or were a fan of the console)

KramerGames

I feel for you man... I'm German so I was able to read some of your blog a while ago, and saw how high the stakes were for you and how much you suffered for your game. I've somewhat been in the same situation, with lower stakes and much less time invested, but a lot of effort and dreams were crushed by reality.
I now take things slower, work a part time job in a kitchen (that I enjoy and where I don't have to sit), and focus a lot more on learning and improving rather than putting all my energy into one game and hope that it will be successful. The last game I published I knew it would fail, but I tested some stuff out and got better.

My advice would be if you love making games so much, live your life and create games on the side, use free software and publish in places where it's free to publish, like Kongregate and Newgrounds. And get as much feedback as you can, because to be honest there would be quite a few things I'd criticize about your last game.

About knowing what makes a game a success, there are at least a dozen podcasts about game development, some very good articles on gamasutra, and speeches on the GDC youtube channel, definitely worth it to listen to it here and there and soak it in. Sure there are games that are crap and are very successful, but that is the exception to the rule. I'm pretty sure that by knowing the quality of the game and the marketing effort (and it's quality), a pretty good prediction of the success can be made. 

I whish you all the best, would be nice to one day hear from you again with good news!
Parasites United  (Idle Parasite Game)

domagojbulat

I am sad to hear your game didn't succeed. I hope you are doing OK and you don't quit game design completely. Maybe you could continue creating many simple games that you can work on easily from time to time as a hobby?

I think extremely well polished mini games may have a better chance than the regular quality large games. If you create all assets by yourself, consider taking your time and learn even more about art. The art design of Peng's adventure reminds me of my failed Earthlings attempt. Both these games don't have a strong defined theme, but mix a few art styles. They look OK overall, but not very appealing.

I spent around 3 years creating digital art here and there as a hobby before attempting to make any games but I still make many art mistakes. The moment I fixed my new game style just to pixel style I felt I did the right thing. Woodwarf looks much cleaner even though I still managed to mix a few pixel art styles in there too. Plus at the time of creation I didn't have a clue about using color palettes and colors combinations.
Even without a good art I think games can be successful, but then they need to be extremely strong in some other field, like super engaging story line, some kind of a novelty, an excellent game mechanics or something else done in a really awesome way. These are just my current observations, you need to consider I am not an experienced designer.

Anyways! I hope you manage to bounce back quickly after this - creating games or not! Enjoy a happy life with your loved ones around you! Wish you all the best!!! Cheers!

Vectrex71

Ohh ... there are answers!! Thank you so much guys for your words! I'm not here to start a long discussion. I'm just here to say THANK YOU TO YOU ALL !!  But now i'm gone .....