Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

PATHOS - A short interactive fiction

TombHand

PATHOS -  A SHORT INTERACTIVE FICTION
In the year 20XX, a remote prison's simulated world is being ravaged by a lone hacker. You must stop them at all costs.

Howdy everyone,

I've been following and using Stencyl for a few years now, but I've only just gotten around to publishing my first game: PATHOS. It's a project that I've been building for academic research purposes as part of my MA, and which has kind of taken on a life of its own. I've never been active in the forums before (sorry to pop up just to talk about my game), but I'm hoping to be more active in the community from now on - Stencyl's been invaluable to me, and I feel the need to return the favour by contributing however I can. I'm far from a good programmer (or, like, anything else involved in game development yet), but I've come along way with Stencyl and I'm very much in for the long haul.

Anyhow, to the game: in PATHOS, you take the role of OPERA-09, an agent dispatched to repair the AR-GUS prison system, a containment facility where inmates are held in stasis while their minds are rehabilitated in a virtual world. Upon your arrival, you discover that the system has been heavily compromised by a hacker, and it is up to you to stop them.

System: Windows only, for the moment.
Controls: LMB/Z to progress dialogue, mouse to use interface, X to speed up text.
Credits: All game content is my own; I'd like to extend an enormous debt of gratitude to Justin Espedal and Cory Martin, creators of the Stencyl Dialog Extension used in this project (http://dialogextension.com/). Without this I probably would have torn all my hair out months ago, and/or been found dead in Miami.

Thanks in advance to anyone who plays, especially if you take part in my research! Let me know what you think - it's far from perfect, but if I'm going to make this into a full game, I want boatloads of constructive criticism. Hell, tell me it stinks and I'll take a long, hard look at myself in the mirror. But only once.

gkhanni

It looks awesome. I am a mac user so cant play it, have you got a gameplay video or a trailer?

TombHand

Thanks both of you for your interest! There's no Mac build at present, but it is currently on my to-do list, right after clearing up a few bugs still present in the Windows release. Realistically it could take me a few months to work out some alternatives to the shaders the Windows version uses (I don't want to just skimp on the visuals for the Mac version if possible), but there should be a working Mac version available by December, even if it's still a bit rough around the edges by then.

have you got a gameplay video or a trailer?
I hadn't really considered doing anything like this since it's such a small project, but it's definitely something I could whip up in a week or so. At the very least it'd be fun to cut a trailer together!