Can Stencyl be Used to Make A Facebook Game?

magicpegasus

I was wondering what the status is for using Stencyl to make games playable on Facebook? Does anyone have any experience with this? Also, what are the multiplayer capabilities offered by the Stencyl engine? I saw some pretty impressive features on something called Electrotank I believe..

coleislazy

Yes, you could make a Facebook game. It will require a lot of coding, I'm guessing, to be able to interface with the site.

As for multiplayer, there is nothing built in, but you can use any of the existing Flash multiplayer solutions, or create your own. Again, lots of coding.

magicpegasus

I found this in the developer's section on FB:

"Apps on Facebook are web apps that are loaded in the context of Facebook in what we refer to as a Canvas Page. You can build your app using any language or tool chain that supports web programming, such as PHP, Python, Java or C#."

So, if I understand correctly, a flash game made in Stencyl is equivilant to something coded in C#, right?

jellonator

no, ActionScript 3 != C#

magicpegasus

So what is the language for Stencyl games? And is it possible to make webapps with Stencyl?

Alexin

Behind the scenes, web games are made with Actionscript 3 (Flash) while mobile games are made with Objective-C (iOS).
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

SWATLLAMA

Stencyl uses Actionscript 3.

However, I think that facebook games are made with javascript, CSS, html(5, maybe?), and not flash.
I think that javascript is the main language for them.

Oh, and Android games are made in java.
Hail The Llama
http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/lSWATLLAMA
"Play the games" ~ The Grand Llama

It's my life goal to rickroll as many people as possible

magicpegasus

So any language that supports web programming can be used to make a fb game...like java or html5. Then the game is hosted on a web page, and embeded/linked on what fb calls their "canvas" page. Does this mean that when the html 5 update comes out for Stencyl non-coders will have an easy way to do fb games?

SWATLLAMA

I don't have facebook, and don't know much about it. Besides that it leaks all your personal data and allows you to be stalked and have your throat ripped out by an evil alpaca.

But I think so, yes.

If FB supports HTML5, that is.
Keep in mind that not all browsers have HTML5 support right now.

Some of you might not like the following message, or parts of it.

DEATH TO HTML5! LONG LIVE FLASH!
Also, DEATH TO THE UNNECESSARY HIGH PRICE OF ALL ADOBE PRODUCTS!
Hail The Llama
http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/lSWATLLAMA
"Play the games" ~ The Grand Llama

It's my life goal to rickroll as many people as possible

Joe

So any language that supports web programming can be used to make a fb game...like java or html5. Then the game is hosted on a web page, and embeded/linked on what fb calls their "canvas" page. Does this mean that when the html 5 update comes out for Stencyl non-coders will have an easy way to do fb games?

It's not so much the choice of language that matters but rather whether or not the platform has support for Facebook's APIs. We probably won't provide built-in support for this, but you or a community member may be able to get it working.

magicpegasus

@ swatllama: I happen to agree with you that fb is not a good thing for identity rights or even social interaction in general, I'm just looking at the potential it's showing as a social gaming platform. I think it's going to be important for Stencyl developers to be able to incorporate multiplayer options outside of sharing a keyboard. After Android compatibility, I feel like this will be the next milestone. Personally, I'm interestd in developing a board game experience that can be played in turns between two or more players, and fb seems like it would be perfect for that.

coleislazy

I don't think you can drop a Flash game directly into FB, but you can launch a Flash game in another medium, like PHP, and have it communicate with the page. Many popular games do this.

magicpegasus

I wonder if that means iStencyl is fb ready? If so, I think it would be a cool idea for a game jam!

coleislazy

You would have to work out how to implement the API, and write the container yourself, so this is no easy task. I would love to see someone do this, however!