Stencyl 1.3.4 - Includes iOS Exporting

Jon

Did you update from 1.2.x or download from the site? You need to download from the site to see iStencyl features.

(This was called out in the update dialog, but apparently it's being missed - I'll pop up a startup dialog in 1.3.2 to make this super clear.)

Jon

I've updated the first post with info on what's in 1.3.1 and the upcoming 1.3.2.

ChristianEs

it works jon! you were right, thanks

Miasmos Games

How come it can't be a part of the update itself? And also, is there a way to get rid of the Command Prompt window that pops up with fresh installs of Stencyl? It's only a minor cosmetic thing, but nevertheless.

Cupcake Bounce

Jon

It's a lot of file changes - it would just be a mess to deliver an update for it.

bernard

Seems like the only resource that can be exported are the images. Even though there is an export button for Actor behaviors, all the export button does is export the image used for the behavior.

The entire resource data is actually exported inside of the image (as metadata).  Drag the image into stencylworks at the correct editor to import it. 

If you export a snippet, drag the image back to the snippet list page(s).
If you export an actor, drag the image back to the actor list page.
And so on.

Thanks. That's another hidden Gem I come to know about. Yes this works.

Nomosoft

Seems like the only resource that can be exported are the images. Even though there is an export button for Actor behaviors, all the export button does is export the image used for the behavior.

The entire resource data is actually exported inside of the image (as metadata).  Drag the image into stencylworks at the correct editor to import it. 

If you export a snippet, drag the image back to the snippet list page(s).
If you export an actor, drag the image back to the actor list page.
And so on.

This isn't working for me, what am I missing? I export the .png file, but I can't drag it back into Stencylworks. I've tried dragging the behavior into every dialog box / screen I can find, but Stencylworks never allows me to drop it.

Edit: I am trying to export/import behaviors.

Legendary Hoamaru

You have to drag it back in the relevant list.  If you export an actor, you have to drag it back to the place in the screenshot (pretty much the same place you export it).  It'll be easier in future versions.

Zapleaf

I got very pumped to see such a good update to the Stencyl API!  To see the makers of Stencyl show care for their product only make me even more happy to be part of the programming community.  I hope My games bring more well earned fame to you guys one day soon.

Nomosoft

You have to drag it back in the relevant list.  If you export an actor, you have to drag it back to the place in the screenshot (pretty much the same place you export it).  It'll be easier in future versions.

Thank you for the reply. I understand where it is supposed to go. Was this part of 1.3.0 or the 1.3.1 update? My version is reporting that it is 1.3.1 and up-to-date, but after a reinstall, I have reason to suspect it is reporting the wrong version. I think this was part of 1.3.0, anyway, right? I can't figure out what's going on. Behaviors CAN be imported after being exported, correct?

Rob

I think any 1.3.x would work.

Try this for any actor behavior:

1. Go to Game A
2. Go to any actor behavior at the icon list level (not opening that particular behavior).
3. Right click and you'll see export option.
4. Export it to any folder of your choice.
5. Close game A.
6. Open Game B.
7. Go to same area with all the icon list.
8. Drag the png image into SW.
GOLDEN RULE #1 : SAVE YOUR GAMES FREQUENTLY
IOS/XCODE DEBUGGING
http://www.stencyl.com/help/view/xcode-ios-troubleshoot/
WATCH STENCYLWORKS VIDEO TUTORIAL BY SUNRISEKINGDOM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDfRfjzr9j4&feature=channel_video_title

Legendary Hoamaru

The only behavior that can't be dragged back in ATM are the ones under Code.

Nomosoft

I think any 1.3.x would work.

Try this for any actor behavior:

1. Go to Game A
2. Go to any actor behavior at the icon list level (not opening that particular behavior).
3. Right click and you'll see export option.
4. Export it to any folder of your choice.
5. Close game A.
6. Open Game B.
7. Go to same area with all the icon list.
8. Drag the png image into SW.

Yep, this is exactly what I've been doing. I just did it, again, making sure the behavior was in the root instead of a folder (not that I think it should matter.) No dice.

The only behavior that can't be dragged back in ATM are the ones under Code.

These are all Design Mode behaviors and show up under Actor or Scene.

Edit: Also, I just installed a nightly build to no effect. Maybe I should wipe all traces of Stencylworks from my system and reinstall?

Jon

Something to note for both Mike and others - the nightly builds and Mike's work (some of it) isn't in the official releases.

I "branched" off my code, so I could deliver a stable release for iStencyl and 1.3 while Mike could develop his features without impacting stability. If there's a discrepancy between the official release and the nightly, that's why.

We'll merge the two branches back together after 1.3.2, if nothing major comes up.

Rob

I'm on win xp. What about yours?

Do you have 12 sample stencyl games (6 0f them ios)?

You should preferably save your behavior to somewhere below document folder and then drag it directly into SW from windows filesystem.

I used a behavior called Alien Movement in a game called Alien Approach. Look for that, export it to a document folder and you should see a spaceship, then open another game, go to behavior list, you may see a bunch of folder, just drag the spaceship icon over next to all these folders.

GOLDEN RULE #1 : SAVE YOUR GAMES FREQUENTLY
IOS/XCODE DEBUGGING
http://www.stencyl.com/help/view/xcode-ios-troubleshoot/
WATCH STENCYLWORKS VIDEO TUTORIAL BY SUNRISEKINGDOM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDfRfjzr9j4&feature=channel_video_title