How does Stencyl compare with pure flash on terms of speed?

ShivaFang

The biggeset factor here is - are actors based on MovieClip or are they cached and blitted (drawn on demand onto a bitmapand only updated as needed)

The lack of support for events vs running scads of code every frame in every behaviour also has me worried.

I like Stencyl because it streamlines and simplifies a lot of the ways I code, but I'm just not sure how scaleable it is for large projects.
Justin "ShivaFang" White
Aquamentos Games - The origin of challenging Strategy and Role-Playing Flash gaming!
Visit our Developer Blog and Google+ Page!

Alexin

The engine is built on top of Flixel. This framework bypasses Flash's vector renderer and renders everything on a single BitmapData, which is then blitted on the screen.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

ShivaFang

Oh that's great, blitting techniques are much better than movieclips!

I also see in the Roadmap that events will be in Stencyl 2.0 and is to be released sometime this month, which should mitigate the amount of code in 'always' blocks.

Thanks!
Justin "ShivaFang" White
Aquamentos Games - The origin of challenging Strategy and Role-Playing Flash gaming!
Visit our Developer Blog and Google+ Page!

Alexin

The upcoming event system is huge improvement and addition to behaviors.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Nomosoft

The upcoming event system is huge improvement and addition to behaviors.

Thank goodness, I have tons of projects I'd like to work on in Stencyl, but Ace Escape really showed some performance issues. I'm definitely looking forward to events.

Alexin

I was referring to workflow, not performance.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Joe

hank goodness, I have tons of projects I'd like to work on in Stencyl, but Ace Escape really showed some performance issues. I'm definitely looking forward to events.

What kind of performance issues were you experiencing?

We've got some helpful tips here and here on optimizing performance. You can also use Lightweight Actors.