Artist Looking for Programmer

Ixel

Hi there!
I'm looking to collaborate with a Flash programmer/animator (using StencylWorks, or not) who would be willing to compile the artwork I've created into an actual game. I will be creating all of the visual resources - characters, enemies, platforms, backgrounds, etc. I will also be animating! I just need someone to take those resources and put them into a game.

Here are two of the enemy walk cycles, for example:
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvlq4pYP0V1qdwkgco1_250.gif  <- Turtle (simple)
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvc8j7YkL11qdwkgco1_r1_250.gif  <- Hairball

http://kathryndimartino.com/  <- Portfolio

Player Behaviors: Idle, Jump, Run, Walk, Stomp, Collect Items (however that works), and maybe an Attack if there's time!
No cliff hanging or sliding or wall jumping is planned at this time.
Enemies: Idle, Patrol Back and Forth (walk or run), Attack, Stompable/Killable

It would be awesome to have a parallaxing background (which never worked correctly for me in StencylWorks), but not necessary.

I'm not looking for any kind of complex or innovative platformer, just simple left-right "get through the level" "stomp enemies" and "collect items." I have five simple and short levels planned. It's more intended to showcase my artwork and be a simple time-waster. I plan on making the game available online through the various flash portals as well as my webcomic's website, on which the game is based. It will also become part of my portfolio as a way to display game art.

You would, of course, be credited at every turn for all of your hard work! As well as being free to post the game on your own website and so on. And I would be happy to create artwork for your own game in return (within reason, I'm not drawing the next Final Fantasy or anything, har har.)

I have tried to use StencylWorks to make a platformer myself but it's been maddening, so I thought I'd see if anyone would like to collab with a not-terrible artist using what I imagine to be a simple program for people who figured out how to use it right (haha.) The main reason I want to use StencylWorks is because of how well it handles raster graphics, which I am not limited to, but prefer the look of.

Thanks for reading!

« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 04:18:33 pm by Ixel »

Raiyumi

I really like your stuff! Especially the food eating face and laser kitty(strangely enough lol). I wish I could help out, but I can't since I'm working on a big project myself. I was thinking maybe we could work together sometime in the near future? (Probably on a new project to make some monayz) ;)

Stencyl Ninja

Hell, I can do that if you want.

Make the main character's animation frames, 2 backgrounds (fore and back for parallax), and at least one platform (better if you have a full tileset ready) to start with if you don't already have them made.

I'll use those to get it started while you work on the rest of the artwork.
The more art that you have finished for it, the easier it will be to design levels.
Which reminds me, can you make the platforms out of 32 x 32 blocks all placed directly next to eachother for the tileset?

I guess it could be any even size really, but 32 x 32 is Stencyl's default;
just so long as you place them next to eachother on a spritesheet to make the tilesets.

That all will make creating levels in Stencyl much faster.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 08:58:13 pm by Stencyl Ninja »

Ixel

Which reminds me, can you make the platforms out of 32 x 32 blocks all placed directly next to eachother for the tileset?

I guess it could be any even size really, but 32 x 32 is Stencyl's default;
just so long as you place them next to eachother on a spritesheet to make the tilesets.

That all will make creating levels in Stencyl much faster.

Right on!

The platforms themselves are to be broken up into the tiles when they're imported in to StencylWorks and have their collision bounds set because they're mostly not squares. I need to do some adjustments on the platforms to make them fit into a multiple of 32 correctly but all their artwork is done. Would it be better to break them up into tiles beforehand?

What is the best way to contact you/send you files?

chaosoul

I think this has much more potential then what you want it to be. Your art is great. If stencylninja can't do it I like to sign up.
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESS

provneyko

Hey! I made an account specifically for this post.. I hope I'm not too late and this is still available to do.
I'd love to work in collaboration with you. Your art is amazing, and I think your talent and my master coding ;) will make an excellent impact on the Flash game scene. I work in Flash, so I know my stuff! I've already created quite a few applications that have been sold to independent companies, and a handful of games that I've released personally on my facebook. I've got the experience and know-how! haha..

So if anything, just let me know what's up. If this goes good, perhaps we could eventually release games to platforms such as the iPad or iPhone or iPod and everything else in between! I'm currently a student at Penn Foster learning Java, C# and .NET - so that will eventually come in handy for such a case. But currently I'm already well familiar with HTML, PHP, MySQL, Javascript, Flash and a few others.. I think we would make an awesome team!

Hope to hear back from you..
Thanks!
-Paul

Ixel

I have gotten a bigger response than I anticipated from this thread! :D This site is currently the main source of traffic for my personal portfolio, actually.

I am currently collaborating with Stencyl Ninja on this project (all the messages I've gotten keep asking me that, haha.)

Thank you to everyone who has expressed interest in the project so far! If, for some reason, we need additional help or some other issue arises, I will post here again and contact those who have contacted me.
Keep an eye out for when the game is released!