are these graphics..okay?

TheAdubbz

Well i decided to have a go at making some graphics so i'd like to have some people's honest opinion on them (I admit, they are pretty bad)
If you agree that they are bad, tell me how they can be improved and what image editor i should be using (preferably one that doesn't cost money...especially excessive amounts *cough*photoshop*cough*) (Also i prefer using pixels so also preferably one that has a functionality for pixel editing that goes on some sort of grid) (Mac or Pc idc)
(I probably will end up having to ask if someone can make the graphics for me :P)

Meh while your at any suggestions for good music editors? (Garageband says it wants me to download a 3gb bunch of tunes...)

irock

Meh while your at any suggestions for good music editors? (Garageband says it wants me to download a 3gb bunch of tunes...)
3GB is nothing unless you have some outrageously low badwidth cap. It needs to download the sounds so you can use more than the basic piano. If you want to make chiptune music, PXTone is great.

KungFuFurby

Just out of curiosity... do you use a Mac or Windows? That sounds like you're using a Mac since you're attempting to use GarageBand. You'll need a Windows emulator to use PXTone, which may or may not be available to you. I have a PowerPC Mac, thus I don't do PXTone.

I use Schism Tracker, personally, to make all my music. I use iTunes to convert 'em over to MP3 after exporting them to WAV.
Hi, all! I'm KungFuFurby, music composer. If you're looking for some music for your game, just PM me.
My Works List for Non-Stencyl Games
My Works List for Stencyl Games

Raiyumi

You could start off by looking at how the masters at pixel art do it.
http://www.pixeljoint.com/
I lurk around these types of forums a lot and it could really help improve someones pixel art (If you're dedicated). There's abunch more, just search for em. For programs, I use GraphicsGale exclusively ;). It's free for PC and has grid, layer, and animation features.

If you want to make chiptune music, PXTone is great.
I use FL Studio although you'll have to fork over cash. Not to mention more cash if you plan on buying VST's. I never had the patience to learn PXTone especially since I had everything in FL. xD

TheAdubbz

Just out of curiosity... do you use a Mac or Windows? That sounds like you're using a Mac since you're attempting to use GarageBand. You'll need a Windows emulator to use PXTone, which may or may not be available to you. I have a PowerPC Mac, thus I don't do PXTone.

I use Schism Tracker, personally, to make all my music. I use iTunes to convert 'em over to MP3 after exporting them to WAV.
A mac with a partition of windows on it (If i really wanted to i could try boot it and put linux on it too but what is the point)

I had a look at PXTone and the page is in Japanese (Or chinese?) So that raises the question of if the thing is in plain old english (there is only so much of google translate i can stand :/) And by that style of music do you mean like in this: http://nitrome.com/games/skywire2 (The guys that make the games on that website are really talented in my opinion =) )

« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 08:34:39 pm by TheAdubbz »

TheAdubbz

3GB is nothing unless you have some outrageously low badwidth cap. It needs to download the sounds so you can use more than the basic piano. If you want to make chiptune music, PXTone is great.
50gb (You'd be surprised how quickly that goes here :S)

Stencyl Ninja

You're graphics aren't necessarily bad, just unfinished. Look up some tutorials about shading and textures
on DeviantArt, PixelJoint, or Elfwood and finish them and they will be good.

I second WCoyote's suggestion of using GraphicsGale. It's a really great program and
it's designed for making sprites and animating them.

ericblak1947

Just looks really simple, would be great if you posted more examples of the art.

TheAdubbz

You're graphics aren't necessarily bad, just unfinished. Look up some tutorials about shading and textures
on DeviantArt, PixelJoint, or Elfwood and finish them and they will be good.

I second WCoyote's suggestion of using GraphicsGale. It's a really great program and
it's designed for making sprites and animating them.
It looks like a nice program to use, And most of the features you miss out on from not paying for it (except gifs...) are not crucial (I suppose you would be able to find something else to do the conversion of a bunch of pngs to a gif with)

Definitely will be checking up on that one =) (Ah Japanese people fulfilling the stereotype of everything they make being as if it is from the future...)

« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 08:50:45 pm by TheAdubbz »

TheAdubbz

Just looks really simple, would be great if you posted more examples of the art.
I only did two so i didn't waste my time doing the graphics for the entire game without knowing if they were any good. All else i have for you is my frog/alien avatar thingo which won't be included in any game i make anyway.

irock

I had a look at PXTone and the page is in Japanese (Or chinese?) So that raises the question of if the thing is in plain old english (there is only so much of google translate i can stand :/) And by that style of music do you mean like in this: http://nitrome.com/games/skywire2 (The guys that make the games on that website are really talented in my opinion =) )
PXTone is in Japanese and English. All you have to do is delete the japanese.ico file in the PXTone directory.

By chiptune music I mean retro game music. Stuff you'd hear on an SNES or NES. If you search for "PXTone music" on Youtube you'll get an idea of what the program does. This type of music is still prominent in the indie games community today.

If you want to make more "high quality" music, then I don't know what free program to recommend other than GarageBand.

TheAdubbz

PXTone is in Japanese and English. All you have to do is delete the japanese.ico file in the PXTone directory.

By chiptune music I mean retro game music. Stuff you'd hear on an SNES or NES. If you search for "PXTone music" on Youtube you'll get an idea of what the program does. This type of music is still prominent in the indie games community today.

If you want to make more "high quality" music, then I don't know what free program to recommend other than GarageBand.

After googling about i must say that the stuff it can make is pretty damn awesome. Thanks community people for showing this to me =)

TheAdubbz

Well after playing with the gale thingo i came up with this:
(The legs arn't done yet and he is facing to the right :P)
It's still not very great in my opinion... but that just may be me being negative about my work as always :/
(The shading only seems to be noticable on the hat...)

EDIT: I have just finished a version with a bit more shading on the stomach if you guys wanna see it...

« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 01:32:25 pm by TheAdubbz »

TheAdubbz

Okay here is a finished version (feel free to give is a bit of criticism (as long as it is helpful (shading, colour choice etc.))):
(I do admit, I am not %100 sure about the shading around the shoes/legs
I must say though, it's an improvement from the first one =)
(However even i know the first loading screen image i posted was rubbish)

TheAdubbz

Hello...? Can i please get some opinions on the new one...