This Game is Trash(Stop-motion, Collectahon, Adventure Game)

SunYatSen

Woah, hey! ...HEY! Woah! Hey!

It's been a little while, I've been debugging a lot and went through this odd phase where I wasn't proud of, like, anything I was doing that I'm just getting out of now. It was very frustrating.

I thought I'd show off a few more of the game's characters today.

Some of these characters are written to be multi-dimensional and complex, but most are what I like to call "aggressively one-dimensional" I've always sorta enjoyed characters in movies where their personality could be summed up in a word without much of a reason, like godzilla or something, whose whole personality is "he likes to destroy things...because reasons" or some action hero fights the bad guys..because he's just really angry. I always thought those characters could be very funny if done right, so a lot of the game's characters are written in that same style.

Jumbo the Dog
is an aspiring film maker. He believes heart is the most important thing in an art form. He makes movies like "Pup Fiction" or "The Pawshank Redemption" He gives you dates to return to his theater to see his newest picture. But with each movie, his doubt grows stronger. Nobody seems to be paying attention to his hard work. Maybe...he just isn't cut out to make movies. How far does he need to push himself before he accepts that his movie dreams just wont come true and give up?

Meowmoto Musashi
is the leader of "Kyoto Death Cat Squad #7". Death cats are elite groups assigned to pose as a deceased celebrity so that the world doesn't realize that celebrity is dead. His squad is assigned to pose as legendary Japanese film maker Akira Kurosawa. Can you imagine a world in which we no longer got movies directed by Akira Kurosawa? What hope would be left for humanity? Why would anyone go on? With an injured member of their squad, however, they will need your help carrying Kurosawa's body to various movie shoots located around the game world.

NickamonPoppytail

Cool! Can’t wait for the release!

Edit: I’m pretty sure I saw Jumbo in the trailer.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 11:13:12 pm by NickamonPoppytail »
Currently developing Poppytail 5, Pixeltail, and The Poppytales.

Email: nick.rosemarygames.poppytail@gmail.com

;)

NickamonPoppytail

I’ve been curious about this for a little while. Are there multiple endings in this game? The reason I think this is that the player seems to have a choice of what they do each day e.g. talk to Chip or talk to someone else or whatever else you can do in this game.

;)

SunYatSen

Yes! At the end of the day limit, the game doesn't stop like, say, in the original pikmin, but you do get a "bad" ending

Then there's an ending for doing it in the number of days required.

Then there's an ending that's more challenging to get, getting to the final boss in xxx days, where "xxx" is some low number. I have finished this ending, but still need to playtest to see what number day this "xxx" should be.

If I have time, I'd love to add little title card endings for each character you come across based on how you treated them, to see where they ended up. I got some good ideas for some. They wouldn't take that long to do, but I gotta work on more necessary things first, so we'll see! Each character already has a sort of "ending" depending on how you act/if you help them out.

Glad you're excited for the release, really trying to have it finished by the end of the year so I can polish, debug and release in spring. Been burning myself out pretty frequently though, so we'll have to see! :D

NickamonPoppytail

Yes! At the end of the day limit, the game doesn't stop like, say, in the original pikmin, but you do get a "bad" ending

Then there's an ending for doing it in the number of days required.

Then there's an ending that's more challenging to get, getting to the final boss in xxx days, where "xxx" is some low number. I have finished this ending, but still need to playtest to see what number day this "xxx" should be.

If I have time, I'd love to add little title card endings for each character you come across based on how you treated them, to see where they ended up. I got some good ideas for some. They wouldn't take that long to do, but I gotta work on more necessary things first, so we'll see! Each character already has a sort of "ending" depending on how you act/if you help them out.

Glad you're excited for the release, really trying to have it finished by the end of the year so I can polish, debug and release in spring. Been burning myself out pretty frequently though, so we'll have to see! :D

Cool! Can’t wait! XD

;)

SunYatSen

Small little update!

I have sorta finished the game from start to end, now it's just a matter of going back and giving some stuff much needed polish and debugging.

I'm expecting it all to take me a few more months of work, but I also don't wanna rush it too much. Especially because I haven't been trying hard enough to get much-needed press coverage of the game. Mostly due to self confidence issues. I'm currently trying to reach out to different publishers to help me with the launch of the game.

I've been polishing up the look of my Japanese snow world:

As well as the look of the final world, which I won't show too much of...

That's all for now! I talk about some more characters next week!

squeeb

It's looking great!  I've always wondered how the publisher thing works.. maybe if you can gain some experience in that field.. you could share it sometime

NickamonPoppytail

This game is as amazing as always! Great job! Good luck with finding a publisher.

;)

albatrosssoup

This game looks more and more beautiful every time I see it. That Japanese world is gorgeous! It's cool seeing something as big as that dragon, haha. I'm really impressed with all the little touches of personality this game has. I can tell how much love is going into it. Awesome to hear it's "sorta" finished! I know how big of a gap there can be between "sorta" finished and "finished" and I hope yours isn't too big or frustrating. And best of luck with publishers!

NickamonPoppytail

Any news on the game?

;)

SunYatSen

Hey!

No, not really. Really sorry about the lack of updates, I'll plan out a list of features to show for the coming weeks, I'll post about something on Saturday.

Still just hard at work finishing it up and trying to get in contact with publishers. There seems to be interest from them but I kept sending them builds that wouldn't work on their computers for whatever reason, which was super frustrating and embarrassing. I think I got it fixed and I sent it to them a few days ago, still haven't gotten a response, which is disheartening... but I'll keep trying!

NickamonPoppytail

Hey!

No, not really. Really sorry about the lack of updates, I'll plan out a list of features to show for the coming weeks, I'll post about something on Saturday.

That’s fine. Been checking your Twitter and nice design for Dudley the Sensitive!

Still just hard at work finishing it up and trying to get in contact with publishers. There seems to be interest from them but I kept sending them builds that wouldn't work on their computers for whatever reason, which was super frustrating and embarrassing. I think I got it fixed and I sent it to them a few days ago, still haven't gotten a response, which is disheartening... but I'll keep trying!

Any luck on getting a publisher yet?

;)

SunYatSen

Heyo!

Been a little bit. Unfortunately still no luck with the publishers I've tried. The game is almost complete though, which is cool, even though I think  it currently probably doesn't have the launch support to go anywhere when I release it, I'm still trying hard to change that though. Whatever the case, I hope the people who do play it find it great! It'd actually be pretty cool, I think, to have a small community of people who really like it. That way I could do, like, giveaways where I can mail out hand made sculptures of the game's characters or something to fans.

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of polishing tweaks (changing things from just functional to actually looking good) and cutting some things that aren't really worth investing the time into. I changed the look of the main character Jim, since the old model I made like a year and a half ago and I've gotten much better at the art since then. But I'm worried this new one might look too cute, like to the point where it's a little generic looking? Let me know what you think. The new one is on the right:

also been finishing up the game's intro...

(gif capture got messed up at the end of that last one, whoops!)

You may have seen it on twitter, but I made this promo art too, which I think came out nice...

Yup, well, that's it for now. I guess I'll be back with more stuff soon. Thanks!

NickamonPoppytail

Heyo!

Been a little bit. Unfortunately still no luck with the publishers I've tried. The game is almost complete though, which is cool, even though I think  it currently probably doesn't have the launch support to go anywhere when I release it, I'm still trying hard to change that though.

Why doesn’t anyone want to publish this?!

It'd actually be pretty cool, I think, to have a small community of people who really like it. That way I could do, like, giveaways where I can mail out hand made sculptures of the game's characters or something to fans.

That’s a cool idea if this ever does happen! I would like to join a community like that. :)

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of polishing tweaks (changing things from just functional to actually looking good) and cutting some things that aren't really worth investing the time into. I changed the look of the main character Jim, since the old model I made like a year and a half ago and I've gotten much better at the art since then. But I'm worried this new one might look too cute, like to the point where it's a little generic looking? Let me know what you think. The new one is on the right:

I like the new design. And I also just realised that what I thought was Jim’s mouth was actually a moustache. (Facepalm)

also been finishing up the game's intro...

Yeah! I think I saw that on your Twitter as well.

:D

You may have seen it on twitter, but I made this promo art too, which I think came out nice...

No, I hadn’t seen that. I can recognise about half of those characters from your website, Twitter, Stencyl posts and the trailer. I recognise Jim, Chip, Iggy, Jumbo, Dudley, a samurai cat, the guy who sells you pins (sorry don’t remember his name), the Accountant, a member of White Trash and... is that a Blue Trash? Could this be The Whitest Guy I Have Ever Seen...?

Edit: And I forgot about the yellow guy that was in that video you posted on Twitter in July.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 04:11:27 am by NickamonPoppytail »

;)

SunYatSen

@NickamonPoppytail   Wow! I'm impressed you know as many characters as you do haha!
And ya, you're not the only one that noticed only now that he was an old man with a moustache.

Since I've posted this, a few more publishers have gotten in contact with me, so im making another build and hopefully things go well, whatever the case, I've decided to put up a demo on itch.io soon, maybe next week, maybe the week after. I'll post here when it's available to try out!