Poppytail Series

NickamonPoppytail

I HAVE GREAT NEWS!

Remember that USB with the .STENCYL file for Poppytail? I FOUND IT! What I’m going to do is I’m going to use the game as a template for Pixeltail. I’ve made one level and a few sprites for Pixeltail, so I’ll just move the sprites over to Poppytail 1 in Stencyl and continue from there (which will make this a hell of a lot easier for me, and it means I can get the game done quicker).

Edit: Now I will not make the mistake of saving the .STENCYL to a USB. I’ve saved it to my laptop now.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 01:05:23 pm by NickamonPoppytail »
Upcoming Projects
Poppytail 5 and Pixeltail: Fifth and sixth main instalments in Poppytail series. A Game About Trimming Hedges: Final Version: An updated version of the original AGATH. Easter Fun 2: A sequel to the original Easter Fun. One Million: Last-one-standing style small project. The Poppytales: RPG using characters from other stuff I've made/am making. Skies n' Fall: Boss rush shooter prequel to Rise n' Brawl.

NickamonPoppytail

Here is Jawlock with two other characters for Chapter 1. The rabbit is Nursina, and the grey character’s name is Exister. I may rename Exister though because it is kind of a stupid name, although it makes sense with his two lines in the game.

“You are real?!”
“You’ll never see behind our mask.”
-Exister

Plus, unlike the other two characters, he is not just a screenshot of a 3D model with the background cut out and a few Pencyl filters applied. His head is, however his body is badly drawn by me (so it seems out of place). However, the early version of Poppytail 5 I’m releasing is just an early version of Chapter 1 with placeholder backgrounds and is mainly to test the basic mechanics.

The mechanics of these three are as follows:

Jawlock- Jawlock starts in Campbell’s Office (pictured), moves into the Main Hall, then to the North Room and then Your Room. He, along with Nursina and Exister, will attack if the player stays in the same room as them for too long. Also, (exclusive to Jawlock), he will attack if the player is idle for too long.

Nursina- Starts In Campbell’s Office, teleports past the Main Hall and into the Left Hall, then the West Room and finally Your Room.

Exister- Takes the same route as Nursina, but on the opposite side of the map (Campbell’s Office > Right Hall > East Room > Your Room).

Another thing that happens is an audio recording from a former Rosemary Games worker will speak and explain a bit about the story of the games. The character who speaks in Chapter 1 is Walter Turnbull (the guy who sends Alex the letter in the first game).

Also, the enemies I’ve shown are only a quarter of the total amount planned. Two or three new characters are added every new chapter. If a character kills you, a hint will appear on screen telling you how to avoid them.
Upcoming Projects
Poppytail 5 and Pixeltail: Fifth and sixth main instalments in Poppytail series. A Game About Trimming Hedges: Final Version: An updated version of the original AGATH. Easter Fun 2: A sequel to the original Easter Fun. One Million: Last-one-standing style small project. The Poppytales: RPG using characters from other stuff I've made/am making. Skies n' Fall: Boss rush shooter prequel to Rise n' Brawl.

merrak

I HAVE GREAT NEWS!

Remember that USB with the .STENCYL file for Poppytail? I FOUND IT! What I’m going to do is I’m going to use the game as a template for Pixeltail. I’ve made one level and a few sprites for Pixeltail, so I’ll just move the sprites over to Poppytail 1 in Stencyl and continue from there (which will make this a hell of a lot easier for me, and it means I can get the game done quicker).

Edit: Now I will not make the mistake of saving the .STENCYL to a USB. I’ve saved it to my laptop now.

Wouldn't hurt to keep the USB as a backup device.

One thing I've been wondering about, and maybe it's already been answered. I'm assuming these characters are video game characters from Rosemary Games. If so, what games are these characters from?

NickamonPoppytail

Wouldn't hurt to keep the USB as a backup device.

Yes, but one of my two laptops has Carbonite on it (which seems to back up everything but the .EXEs).

One thing I've been wondering about, and maybe it's already been answered. I'm assuming these characters are video game characters from Rosemary Games. If so, what games are these characters from?

This has sort of been answered. The answer is yes for most of them (as Enderguy is based on a Creator and the GamePrint enemy is based on the GamePrint machine (the one Alice is trapped in)). In some of the placeholder backgrounds I’ve made there are posters for a game called “The Legendary Quadrio”, featuring four characters. Three of them are meant to be Jawlock, Nursina and Exister, and the other one is going to be introduced in Chapter 2, however the names are not the same.The Rosemary Games character names for those three are Captain (Jawlock), Split (Nursina) and Façade (Exister).

There are also advertisements for a game known as “The World of Elecreatures: The Video Game” (which is the only appearance of Dizzy, one of my four dogs in real life. The World of Elecreatures was a book I self-published in November 2015 under Nicholas J. Hackett (hence why the first few Poppytail games were also under that name). I should probably mention that due to the game taking place in 1984, Walter Turnbull has created the book and the game instead of me (despite references to the year being 2015, but oh well, it’s fiction).

I’ll also say that there are some huge secrets planned in PT5, if you can decode them (you’ll find them in the Assets folder). I’ll add more when the game gets closer to its final release. You may find some things in there (including the only appearance of the Red Guy in this game).

Also, remember The Poppytales? In that game Hoppy Tail gives you hints as to what to do next. He also gets his own poster. A Poppytail plushie can also be seen on the desk in Campbell’s Office.

There are a few other games mentioned in Poppytail 2: Grasslands, Oil Miner and Lemur Climb. These can be seen badly drawn on the packets GamePrint launches at Alex. These packets also feature Loala, Grease Monkey and Ring Tail, characters I plan to use in future games.

Edit: Attached is the placeholder poster for “The Legendary Quadrio”.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 02:30:15 am by NickamonPoppytail »
Upcoming Projects

NickamonPoppytail

I can now add sound,

I just realised it took nearly three months for me to make PT4... (started on 31st Aug and finished on 28th Nov). So this message was when I was still making the fourth game. This is why the fourth game had bad graphics like the others. Now that I have all of the code from the other games, it’s mainly recreating graphics and adding sound that I have to do for Pixeltail.

I haven't played the game, but am I right in thinking that this is just the first chapter of 5? To be honest, I'd make the first chapter free.

Just to clarify, the reason why I wasn’t doing that was because I was too lazy to make a GameJolt or Newgrounds account. By the way, is there anything important I should know about Newgrounds?

I haven't played the game, but am I right in thinking that this is just the first chapter of 5? To be honest, I'd make the first chapter free.

No, this game has five chapters. There are no "parts", although, there is a second game with more. These chapters are short, but it takes a long time to figure out what to do in the chapters and it could take a while to figure out how to do things.

And then 20jhe (a GameJolt user and friend of mine) told me he beat the game in five minutes.

Here's the thing - first impressions count, and your graphics don't cut the mustard.

Try creating really blocky graphics and see how it works. A good tip is to keep all your graphics the same style.

And then months later I thought Pixeltail would be a good idea. By the way, which I do you think is a better art style for the games (as in 3D model vs pixel graphics)?

« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 09:18:11 pm by NickamonPoppytail »
Upcoming Projects

NickamonPoppytail

Hello everyone,

I have just created a poll that I have put in the devlog for all five out of six main series Poppytail games that have a Game Jolt page (Pixeltail doesn’t have one yet). If you have played the games and have a Game Jolt account could you please give me your opinion.

Just so you don’t have to look for them, here are the game pages:
https://gamejolt.com/games/Poppytail1/287813
https://gamejolt.com/games/Poppytail2/292929
https://gamejolt.com/games/Poppytail3/299079
https://gamejolt.com/games/Poppytail4/300506
https://gamejolt.com/games/thefifthpoppytailgame/309707

By the way, the poll is about what you would most like to see in future Poppytail games just so I know what to focus on in future games. The possible answers are:
  • Pixel Art Graphics
  • Animated Jumpscares
  • More Music and Sound Effects
  • Different Gameplay
  • 3D Model Graphics
  • Less Difficult Controls
  • JUST WORK ON THE GAMES
  • I don’t really care...
  • Poppytail is a bad game series
  • MORE ITALIAN BAGUETTES!!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 01:11:18 am by NickamonPoppytail »
Upcoming Projects

NickamonPoppytail

Hello,

I have been thinking about the Poppytail 4 characters’ AI and how I could improve it for Pixeltail.

The way Poppytail 4’s characters would work is when a brand new chapter is started, a Boolean game attribute is automatically set to false. When this is false, the character would appear somewhere randomly in the scene. When a character kills you, their Boolean is then set to true, and when they hit the player two number game attributes for that character remember the characters’ position on the x-axis and y-axis in the scene. When a character’s Boolean is true, they will be created at their position where they last killed you according to the number game attributes.

What I was thinking is instead of a Boolean and two Number game attributes for each character, to have one Number and two Lists for each character. Each character would have a set position when a new game would begin, and when they killed the player, a Number game attribute would be set to itself + 1, and change list items to the x and y positions of the character in that chapter, as in this game, you can backtrack. This way, the game remembers where each character would kill you in each chapter, and using the number attribute would increase the speed of that character. This way the game can achieve its difficulty without the “when released” controls.

Is this a good way to go about this and is this possible (I’ve never used lists before)?
Upcoming Projects

NickamonPoppytail

I also wanted to mention that Pixeltail is not a remake of the first four games, even though the gameplay works the same way as the first four games and features the enemies from those games, it’s a sequel taking place a year after the first game.

Pretty much what happened at the end of the fourth game was Alice found an exit, and left the building (after all, she did get locked in a metal suit by Enderguy and was trapped in a large building full of killer creatures for decades), and Alex left because without Alice he had very little chance of survival.

A year after receiving Walter Turnbull’s first letter, Alex gets a second letter telling him to come back to Rosemary Games with Alice, the reason being that he’s still in the building, “they” are still in the building and that “the others” need his help. Alex decides to go back again, and now nearly everyone (Lulu, Mousetrap and Eclipse have their parents attack for them)  is out to get you (Auto and Abe weren’t before).
Upcoming Projects

NickamonPoppytail

Been mostly working on graphics recently. I think the redesigned Easter Bunny has turned out much better than from the original game.

Image 1) Easter Bunny's front sprite from Poppytail
Image 2) Easter Bunny's front sprite from Poppytail 2 (Experiments minigame)
Image 3) Easter Bunny's left sprite from Pixeltail

What do you think?
Upcoming Projects

NickamonPoppytail

Upcoming Projects

JeffreyDriver

Been mostly working on graphics recently. I think the redesigned Easter Bunny has turned out much better than from the original game.

Image 1) Easter Bunny's front sprite from Poppytail
Image 2) Easter Bunny's front sprite from Poppytail 2 (Experiments minigame)
Image 3) Easter Bunny's left sprite from Pixeltail

What do you think?

The third one is clearly the best and a huge improvement, but I think that you still have some way to go to polish the graphics.

Have a go at experimenting with really simple graphic styles. See how far you can distill the images yet still convey to the player what they are.

Take a look at the image I've attached. It's screenshot from a game on the Atari 2600. It had very simple graphics, yet in the image, the rabbit is clearly identifiable, and not just as a rabbit, but a specific rabbit - Bugs Bunny.

I'm not saying you should simplify your graphics that much, but be aware that the Atari 2600 had some good and highly addictive games which were all down the the mechanics and the gameplay.

NickamonPoppytail

The third one is clearly the best and a huge improvement, but I think that you still have some way to go to polish the graphics.

Have a go at experimenting with really simple graphic styles. See how far you can distill the images yet still convey to the player what they are.

Take a look at the image I've attached. It's screenshot from a game on the Atari 2600. It had very simple graphics, yet in the image, the rabbit is clearly identifiable, and not just as a rabbit, but a specific rabbit - Bugs Bunny.

Thank you for the advice, but I think I'll stick with the current art style for now. I'm going for that art style at the moment because I think it suits my idea of what the game should be like. About distilling the graphics, it then may make it difficult to identify one character from another. Take Easter Bunny and Bun-Bun for example. There are about four differences that barely anyone will notice to tell the two apart (rosy cheeks, less creepy smile, pink belly, no sticker on back of Bun-Bun's head). Distilling the graphics this Much may make it harder to tell the two apart, which can make the game more difficult as you don't know how fast the character will be (Bun-Bun is about twice as fast as Easter Bunny). This could make a difference in whether the player will be able to get from Point A to Point B without getting killed or not.

*Btw, if you're wondering why I picked an unoriginal name for Easter Bunny, it's because he is based off a Rosemary Games character, and his name had to sound more friendly than "that annoying rabbit that's always bouncing off every single wall to make the game harder". Also, the way I came up with some of the games' characters was coming up with stupid nicknames for my dogs (our oldest one puts his ears backward when you bend down to give him a pat, which I thought made him look like an Easter Bunny. Boom! New Poppytail character (even though that was about an hour before I even came up with the game's concept). Well, our youngest one was going to be a show dog but he was too small so we bought him, and now I sometimes call him "the tiniest living organism known to man". Okay I need to stop rambling.

These last few posts in this thread have a strange theme of rabbits... and this is when nearly half the characters in the first four games are either papillons or based on papillons (okay, maybe about three-quarters).

1) Old Easter Bunny graphics compared to new
2) Bugs Bunny from the Atari 2600 game of the same name
3) The minor differences between Easter Bunny and Bun-Bun's design and mechanics.

Hmm... Well at least it's better than posts about those Italian Baguettes (which seems to have become a joke between some people with someone even going as far to say "[Italian Baguettes] is a way of life.")

I'm not saying you should simplify your graphics that much, but be aware that the Atari 2600 had some good and highly addictive games which were all down the the mechanics and the gameplay.

Hopefully the first four PT games would've been fun but it seems some of you couldn't figure out how to use the controls easily (although this never seemed to bother about twenty people who playtested the games).
Upcoming Projects

NickamonPoppytail

CENTURY GAME (WARNING: BAD GAME): https://gamejolt.com/games/stupidgamebyastupidperspn/313307

And here is the last game I made before I made Poppytail. It's a really bad game I made with extremely little experience in about two days. It literally has nothing to do with Poppytail, but it's such a bad game that it would be a waste of a forum thread.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 10:42:48 pm by NickamonPoppytail »
Upcoming Projects

NickamonPoppytail

Here is Gremlin Girl.

Image 1) Gremlin Girl from the main gameplay of Poppytail.
Image 2) Gremlin Girl from Poppytail 3's "Templates" minigame.
Image 3) Gremlin Girl from Pixeltail.

I think Image 3 is much better, especially when looking at PT3's Gremlin Girl again.
Upcoming Projects

NickamonPoppytail

And of course I couldn't forget about the titular Poppytail!

Image 1) Poppytail from the main gameplay of Poppytail.
Image 2) Poppytail from the "Catch the Humans" minigame in Poppytail 2.
Image 3) Poppytail from Pixeltail
Upcoming Projects