Poppytail Series

NickamonPoppytail

Been mostly working on graphics recently. I think the redesigned Easter Bunny has turned out much better than from the original game.

Image 1) Easter Bunny's front sprite from Poppytail
Image 2) Easter Bunny's front sprite from Poppytail 2 (Experiments minigame)
Image 3) Easter Bunny's left sprite from Pixeltail

What do you think?

Here is Gremlin Girl.

Image 1) Gremlin Girl from the main gameplay of Poppytail.
Image 2) Gremlin Girl from Poppytail 3's "Templates" minigame.
Image 3) Gremlin Girl from Pixeltail.

I think Image 3 is much better, especially when looking at PT3's Gremlin Girl again.

And of course I couldn't forget about the titular Poppytail!

Image 1) Poppytail from the main gameplay of Poppytail.
Image 2) Poppytail from the "Catch the Humans" minigame in Poppytail 2.
Image 3) Poppytail from Pixeltail

And now I think these sort of posts are going to become spam VERY quickly.
Upcoming Projects
Poppytail 5 and Pixeltail: Fifth and sixth main instalments in Poppytail series. A Game About Trimming Hedges: Final Version: An updated version of the original AGATH. Easter Fun 2: A sequel to the original Easter Fun. One Million: Last-one-standing style small project. The Poppytales: RPG using characters from other stuff I've made/am making. Skies n' Fall: Boss rush shooter prequel to Rise n' Brawl.

NickamonPoppytail

Here's some more spam.

Here are the left sprites for Snarly Dog (Poppytail main gameplay and Poppytail 2's "Heart of the Snarl" minigame) and the front sprite for Pixeltail. I won't be focusing on graphics for a little while because I want to have something playable as soon as possible (so once I finish the rest of Snarly's sprites, I'll be working on the first two chapters).

Also, there are a few bonus chapters in the first four Poppytail games:
Poppytail: Chapter 6
Poppytail 2: Chapter 6 and Chapter 7
Poppytail 3: Chapter of No Escape
Poppytail 4: Chapter 6 and Chapter 7

These chapters will not appear, but their minigames and nightmares ("Enderguy Challenge", "Beachtime Celebration", "Italian Baguettes", "Feed the Chickens", "Database Hacker", "Run, Turnbull, Run!", "Bath Time" and "Magma Exploder") will in other chapters.

The reason that those five chapters will not appear are because 1) they aren't canon, 2) they are exclusive to secret endings and Custom Chapters mode, and 3) I don't know how it'll make sense for the player to encounter these. So, instead, Pixeltail will be a 20-chapter game, and each chapter will feature two minigames or one minigame and one nightmare. That way, I can include the remakes of the minigames and nightmares from the canon chapters of the previous games, have areas that will include the other minigames, and have new minigames for more of the game's lore (for those who have played the games, because I know some people have). This means that there will be twelve new minigames plus the twenty-two minigames and six nightmares from the other games.

So, Chapter 1 will have the Poppytail Challenge and Catch the Humans, and then Chapter 2 will have the Easter Bunny Challenge and Heart of the Snarl.

I am also concerned that with what I plan to do with the characters remembering your last position in each chapter may cause issues with Flash. My concern was that each character having two lists full of twenty items each (and there are 38 enemies) may cause problems. However, Mr Battery can be taken out of that due to killing you via the Electricity statistic and not collision in a certain point in the scene, and Auto and Abe will just appear randomly. Taking them out of the equation leaves 35 enemies with two lists each (for their x and y position), and each list with twenty items each (one for each chapter, as the game is supposed to use this for players who decide to backtrack). This means the game will have to remember 1400 numbers, just for the positional AI! There's also a system in place that the game will remember which characters the players dies to the most and will make them faster, take that into account for those 34 characters (because this isn't required for Mr Battery, Auto, or Abe, and Doughy Duck will keep her mechanic of getting slower the more the player dies). That's 1434 numbers, and the game will have to keep track of more for endings and other things. I'm also worried that this may cause issues with Windows as well. Is this going to be an issue because this looks like it's going to cause a hell of a lot of lag.
Upcoming Projects
Poppytail 5 and Pixeltail: Fifth and sixth main instalments in Poppytail series. A Game About Trimming Hedges: Final Version: An updated version of the original AGATH. Easter Fun 2: A sequel to the original Easter Fun. One Million: Last-one-standing style small project. The Poppytales: RPG using characters from other stuff I've made/am making. Skies n' Fall: Boss rush shooter prequel to Rise n' Brawl.

merrak

... That's 1434 numbers, and the game will have to keep track of more for endings and other things. I'm also worried that this may cause issues with Windows as well. Is this going to be an issue because this looks like it's going to cause a hell of a lot of lag.

"Large" is relative to what you're doing with the data... but remembering isn't an issue. 1434 floating point numbers will consume only 11 kbytes of memory. Your original Snarly Dog sprite used more than that stored compressed as a .png on disk.

A good trick you can use to quickly estimate how much CPU time a piece of code might take is to count the number of nested loops. For example, if you're checking the distances between all 40 characters, for each character C you'll have to loop through the entire list again--so that's 40x40 computations. The raw number of computations may or may not be meaningful (1,600 arithmetic computations per tick is not), but this will give you an idea of how the time your code consumes scales up with the number of objects you're working with.

NickamonPoppytail

... That's 1434 numbers, and the game will have to keep track of more for endings and other things. I'm also worried that this may cause issues with Windows as well. Is this going to be an issue because this looks like it's going to cause a hell of a lot of lag.

"Large" is relative to what you're doing with the data... but remembering isn't an issue. 1434 floating point numbers will consume only 11 kbytes of memory. Your original Snarly Dog sprite used more than that stored compressed as a .png on disk.

A good trick you can use to quickly estimate how much CPU time a piece of code might take is to count the number of nested loops. For example, if you're checking the distances between all 40 characters, for each character C you'll have to loop through the entire list again--so that's 40x40 computations. The raw number of computations may or may not be meaningful (1,600 arithmetic computations per tick is not), but this will give you an idea of how the time your code consumes scales up with the number of objects you're working with.

I don’t plan to calculate the distance between characters, but the 1434 numbers is all I need for the enemy AI to work. So if these numbers aren’t a problem, should this work on Flash? As with what I’m doing, the game has a number game attribute that changes depending on which chapter the player is in. The game uses this to return the values from the lists for each enemy’s x and y position and change it when a character kills a player. The game moves the characters obtheir positions according to the lists upon the scene being created.
Upcoming Projects

merrak

I don’t plan to calculate the distance between characters, but the 1434 numbers is all I need for the enemy AI to work. So if these numbers aren’t a problem, should this work on Flash? As with what I’m doing, the game has a number game attribute that changes depending on which chapter the player is in. The game uses this to return the values from the lists for each enemy’s x and y position and change it when a character kills a player. The game moves the characters obtheir positions according to the lists upon the scene being created.

I'm not very clear on how your AI works... but even if I had a good understanding of your plan, efficiency is going to come down to how well you implement it. If you're concerned about it, help me better understand what your characters should do and I'll give you my best analysis. From what I've read, though, nothing really stands out as alarming.

NickamonPoppytail

I'm not very clear on how your AI works... but even if I had a good understanding of your plan, efficiency is going to come down to how well you implement it. If you're concerned about it, help me better understand what your characters should do and I'll give you my best analysis. From what I've read, though, nothing really stands out as alarming.

The way most characters work (the others are mentioned above) is they each have a set position, which is defined by two lists (for each). Each list has 20 numbers, one for each of the chapters. The two lists are for the x and y positions in the scene. The game will change these coordinates when the player gets killed by a character. For example, in Chapter 1, Poppytail's coordinates in the scene are 1934, 477. If a player is killed by him, the game will remember the coordinates and change the list items accordingly. When a scene is recreated, the game will use the code below to move the character to their position after killing the player.

The game will also increase a characters' speed whenever a player dies to them, therefore achieving difficulty without the annoying controls from the first four games (as most characters will have a "Speed" game attribute that increases every time the player dies to that particular character.
Upcoming Projects

NickamonPoppytail

And now I've done Alice.

1) Alice from the main gameplay of PT1-4
2) Alice from Poppytail 2's "Lock It In" minigame (without suit)
3) Alice from Pixeltail
Upcoming Projects

merrak

The way most characters work (the others are mentioned above) is they each have a set position, which is defined by two lists (for each). Each list has 20 numbers, one for each of the chapters. The two lists are for the x and y positions in the scene. The game will change these coordinates when the player gets killed by a character. For example, in Chapter 1, Poppytail's coordinates in the scene are 1934, 477. If a player is killed by him, the game will remember the coordinates and change the list items accordingly. When a scene is recreated, the game will use the code below to move the character to their position after killing the player.

The game will also increase a characters' speed whenever a player dies to them, therefore achieving difficulty without the annoying controls from the first four games (as most characters will have a "Speed" game attribute that increases every time the player dies to that particular character.

Storage and CPU usage should be negligible.

NickamonPoppytail

Storage and CPU usage should be negligible.

Thank you. I was worried this was going to cause issues.
Upcoming Projects

NickamonPoppytail

I've been working on composing some of the music for the game. I have made more than this, but here are two songs called Highway to Rosemary and Faint Recognition (attached as mp3s). Highway to Rosemary plays during the beginning driving segment (which is now much larger and allows the player to explore more areas around Alex's neighbourhood. Faint Recognition plays somewhere hidden, however its not a nightmare or minigame.

I haven't been working on Poppytail 5 in the last few weeks so I need to get onto that soon, but I have an interesting concept that could be incorporated into Pixeltail to add more to the gameplay, and I think this may be something no one will expect for a game like Poppytail.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 09:55:26 pm by NickamonPoppytail »
Upcoming Projects

ViniciusAlves

And now I've done Alice.

1) Alice from the main gameplay of PT1-4
2) Alice from Poppytail 2's "Lock It In" minigame (without suit)
3) Alice from Pixeltail

Hey Nickamon, have you considered taking your time to learn and practice your pixelart skills?
I'm asking you because you seem to be really active around here and you're always working on your game, but the graphics aspect of your games is a little bit off-putting. I'm telling you this from my own experience of being terrible at any kind of drawing, but by taking some time to read and practice some pixelart tutorials, I got to make some less off-putting sprites myself.

NickamonPoppytail

Hey Nickamon, have you considered taking your time to learn and practice your pixelart skills?
I'm asking you because you seem to be really active around here and you're always working on your game, but the graphics aspect of your games is a little bit off-putting. I'm telling you this from my own experience of being terrible at any kind of drawing, but by taking some time to read and practice some pixelart tutorials, I got to make some less off-putting sprites myself.

What pixel art tutorials would you recommend?
Upcoming Projects

dreph

Personally, I would start here.

http://www.pixelprospector.com/the-big-list-of-pixel-art-tutorials/

All of the links on this page are a culmination of all really decent pixel art informational pieces.  Your best bet is to get started with a simple program.

Since you seem to be familiar with paint and using your mouse, you may want to look into Piskel.  This program is great for making sprites on your PC, and being able to work pixel by pixel very closely.

Alternatively, you could use Gimp or Photoshop for doing pixel work, but the caveat to those programs is the learning curve.  My designer used Photoshop for our Garlicoin Kitchen game.

ViniciusAlves

What pixel art tutorials would you recommend?

The compilation dreph posted above is a good one. I'd suggest Derel Yu's tutorial to start (http://makegames.tumblr.com/post/42648699708/pixel-art-tutorial). Also, the best suggestion I saw online is to keep it simple. Start with 32x32 canvas for characters until you feel really confident about it. I used only this size for my first game and I don't feel confident to go bigger than that yet.
Regarding software, I used GraphicsGale at first because it's free, but then I bought Aseprite and it is totally worth your money.

NickamonPoppytail

Personally, I would start here.

http://www.pixelprospector.com/the-big-list-of-pixel-art-tutorials/

All of the links on this page are a culmination of all really decent pixel art informational pieces.  Your best bet is to get started with a simple program.

Since you seem to be familiar with paint and using your mouse, you may want to look into Piskel.  This program is great for making sprites on your PC, and being able to work pixel by pixel very closely.

Alternatively, you could use Gimp or Photoshop for doing pixel work, but the caveat to those programs is the learning curve.  My designer used Photoshop for our Garlicoin Kitchen game.

The compilation dreph posted above is a good one. I'd suggest Derel Yu's tutorial to start (http://makegames.tumblr.com/post/42648699708/pixel-art-tutorial). Also, the best suggestion I saw online is to keep it simple. Start with 32x32 canvas for characters until you feel really confident about it. I used only this size for my first game and I don't feel confident to go bigger than that yet.
Regarding software, I used GraphicsGale at first because it's free, but then I bought Aseprite and it is totally worth your money.

Thank you you two. I’ll have a look at those.
Upcoming Projects