Poppytail

NickamonPoppytail

Here is the HUD guy.
Currently developing Poppytail 5, Pixeltail and The Poppytales.

Email: nick.rosemarygames.poppytail@gmail.com

;)

NickamonPoppytail

This is probably going to be my favourite image from Poppytail 5. Even though I still need to make a lot of progress, who wouldn't like a picture of a giant green rabbit who wants to kill you waving at you from a doorway which is right next to you?

;)

domagojbulat

You are getting better with illustrations but there’s still a long way to go. Try playing and experimenting with colors more. Use less saturated colors sometimes. For instance, strong blue eyes on the rabbit really can’t stand out in so dense green. They are too similar colors. In this particular case, I would recommend using low saturated green. For eyes use saturated red because it is a complement color to green. Or you might use pure white or such color that will make nice contrast.

NickamonPoppytail

You are getting better with illustrations but there’s still a long way to go. Try playing and experimenting with colors more. Use less saturated colors sometimes. For instance, strong blue eyes on the rabbit really can’t stand out in so dense green. They are too similar colors. In this particular case, I would recommend using low saturated green. For eyes use saturated red because it is a complement color to green. Or you might use pure white or such color that will make nice contrast.

Thanks Domago! The 3D models are coloured using pre-made textures from Autodesk Fusion 360. I could make Nursina's eyes turn red (as Red Guy has been able to change has eye colour and I've recently also given this ability to Jawlock), but I'm thinking maybe yellow or turquoise eyes would look good for Nurse. Oh well, I'll do some experimentation with that. Thanks for the advice :)

;)

NickamonPoppytail

I actually quite like it.

;)

NickamonPoppytail

I put Exister in a doorway.

;)

NickamonPoppytail

Exister about to crawl through a doorway.

I should probably mention that he gets his name from only having his head opaque; his body is mostly transparent and has just a grey outline. He is also able to dislocate and change the position of some of his joints, allowing him to move in seemingly awkward positions. (However, not much has been documented due to him wanting to kill anyone he sees).

« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 03:20:05 am by NickamonPoppytail »

;)

NickamonPoppytail

Wow, It's been a whole ten days since I've posted here (a new record I think ;) ). I haven't had much time to work on PT5 or PXT lately, since I was busy over the Easter long weekend, then I was on a camp from Wednesday to Friday, and then I went to Canberra over the weekend. Hopefully

I've been creating some jumpscares for Jawlock and Nursina, I've made some hint screens (after you get killed, they will pop up and tell you how to avoid the same mistakes), and I've started working on a new minigame, "Sibling Rivalry" using tile art by me and character art by Vaibhav Sangwan. I'm thinking that some minigames should use Vaibhav's art and some with mine, just so our art styles don't get mixed up too much. My art is more simplistic compared to what Vaibhav has made for this project. Thanks for your contributions, Vaibhav! :)

I've been looking through some old songs I've composed (all of PT5's music will be from old songs I've created over a year ago for another potential project), and I think I've got my fourteen minigame themes (twenty-eight since the songs play in reverse under certain conditions).

The music attached is what I'm considering as a minigame theme for the Sibling Rivalry minigame, called "And Five Was Subtracted". Feel free to add any comments or PM/email me about anything about my projects, or just anything! ;)

Edit 1: Sorry, forgot to make the attachment. Will be up soon.

Edit 2: Alright, it should be up and running now.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 12:50:27 am by NickamonPoppytail »

;)

Vaibhav Sangwan

Thanks, I am glad I can help.

NickamonPoppytail

Here's everyone who's contributed/contributing to PT5:

Programming, Sound Effects, Music, 3D models, Graphics, Voices for Walter Turnbull, Nursina and Exister- Nick Hackett (me)
Graphics- Vaibhav Sangwan
3D models, Voice for G'day Gecko- JackAttackGames (Jack Herbert)
Voice for Jawlock- Jack Weaver
Voice for Shyyon- Cody Montgomerie
Voice for Vehicle Dummy- Stella Fitzgerald
Voices for William and Dingo Cool- Jai Pattinson
Voice for Bad Bunny- Jeffrey Herbert
Voices for Mary Cole and Skelisa- Claudia Boutet

If there's anyone else willing to contribute, that's fine with me.

;)

NickamonPoppytail

Pretty much just mucked around with PT5 today. I know have a scene which just alternates between a jumpscare for Jawlock and a jumpscare for Nursina while the screen shakes. I haven’t done any other character jumpscares, but since large images which Stencyl’s memory limit hates are required to have 10-15 frames (as all of the main game screens are just animations of one actor), I’ll make them sparingly (although Jawlock can kill you in any room, so this may be an issue). So it’s those however many Jawlock jumpscares, four of Exister’s and three more of Nursina’s and I’ll have them all done for Chapter 1.

Also, I have mentioned that there are 24 enemies in this game. Not all of them kill you; six of them can’t. However, these six will still cause the player’s death in some way or hinder their progress.

Another thing I wanted to talk about was the game’s map. I plan on drawing a quick sketch and adding it to a forum post with elaboration so everyone’s on the same page when I talk about character routes and mechanics.

;)

NickamonPoppytail

Here’s the PT5 game map.

1- Turnbull’s Office- Three unrevealed characters start off here. It is connected to the Left Hall.
2- Campbell’s Office- Jawlock, Nursina, Exister, Shyyon, and one unreleased character start off here. It is connected to the Main Hall.
3- Simulation Room- Vehicle Dummy and one unrevealed character start off here. It is connected to the Right Hall.
4- Left Hall- No one starts off here. It is connected to Turnbull’s Office, the Main Hall, the North Room and the West Room.
5- Main Hall- No one starts off here. It is connected to Campbell’s Office, the Left Hall, the Right Hall, and the North Room.
6- Right Hall- No one starts off here. It is connected to the Simulation Room, the Main Hall, the North Room and the East Room.
7-North Room- No one starts off here. It is connected to all three Halls and Your Room.
8- West Room- No one starts off here. It is connected to the Left Hall and Your Room.
9- Your Room- This is where you and one unrevealed enemy start off. It is connected to the North, South, East and West Rooms.
10- East Room- No one starts off here. It is connected to the Right Hall and Your Room.
11- Beta Test Room- Dingo Cool, Bad Bunny and Skelisa start off here. It is connected to the South Room. This room is inaccessible to the player.
12- South Room- No one starts off here. It is connected to both Cells, the Beta Test Room and Your Room.
13- Cell 1- Cinder starts off here. It is connected to the South Room. This is another inaccessible room.
14- Cell 2- G’day Gecko starts off here. It is connected to the South Room. This is another’s inaccessible room.
15- North Trapdoor- One unrevealed enemy starts off here. It is connected to the North Room. This area is inaccessible.
16- West Trapdoor- One unrevealed enemy starts off here. It is connected to the West Room. This area is inaccessible.
17- East Trapdoor- One unrevealed enemy starts off here. It is connected to the East Room. This area is inaccessible.
18 (Not shown)- Tunnels- This is a system of underground tunnels that go from any room to Your Room. Only you and one enemy (occasionally for the enemy) are able to access these.

All other enemies either occasionally appear in certain areas, or they appear in random locations. The routes according to this for the revealed enemies are:

Jawlock- 2 > 5 > 7 > 9 > (repeat)
Nursina- 2 > 4 > 8 > 9 > (repeat)
Exister- 2 > 6 > 10> 9 > (repeat)
Shyyon- Same as Jawlock
Vehicle Dummy- 3 > 6 > 10 > 9
Dingo Cool- 11 > 12 > (repeat) OR 11 > 12 > 9
Bad Bunny- Same as Dingo Cool
Skelisa- Same as Dingo Cool and Bad Bunny
Cinder- 13 > 12 > 13 OR 13 > 12 > 9
G’day Gecko- 14 > 12 > 14 OR 14 > 12> (repeat)

Hope this isn’t too complicated ;)

;)

NickamonPoppytail

I was originally intending on having Jawlock have two mechanics: to follow the routes and kill you if you’re in a room for too long with him (like most other characters) as well as attacking if you’re in one room for too long.

I’m thinking of adding a 25th character. Jawlock can take his original mechanic and the idle mechanic can go to another version of him called “APPARITION”. APPARITION would have a timer display as an HUD while the player was doing whatever, and it will reset upon the room changing.

The idea for APPARITION was when I accidentally coloured an unfinished version of the Jawlock model completely dark blue and have it glassy-looking eyes. I still have it saved to Fusion 360, and I was thinking of not animating his jumpscares; instead using a still image like I’ve done with the first four games.

;)

NickamonPoppytail

Here's a comparison of 3D models for both Jawlock and APPARITION.

;)

NickamonPoppytail

You've been hiding in your room for too long. Don't look at me like that, I'm just an APPARITION.

;)