Poppytail

NickamonPoppytail

Been working on a clock feature for PT5's major chapters. There may not be any more PXT updates for a while because I want to get PT5 done and released before I start spending most of my (game-developing) time working on that.

Every chapter in-game lasts 24 hours. An in-game minute passes every fifth of a second, and therefore an hour passes every twelve seconds. This means a chapter lasts 288 seconds, or just under five minutes (4.8 minutes to be exact), to complete (assuming Jawlock, APPARITION, Nursina or whoever haven't killed you yet).

My main issue is the minutes section. Since Stencyl won't allow me to place a zero in front of a single-digit number, the clock may read something like "12:7pm" or "3:4am". I'm going to fix this, but I need to keep waiting to make sure the game switches scenes after reaching midnight a second time (as each chapter starts at midnight).
I’m the guy who made the Poppytail series, The World of Elecreatures, Century Game and Easter Fun.

Email: nick.rosemarygames.poppytail@gmail.com

;)

Vaibhav Sangwan

The concept of a clock is good.
Why is stencyl not allowing you to place a zero?

NickamonPoppytail

The concept of a clock is good.
Why is stencyl not allowing you to place a zero?

The "clock" is just written, showing the player the time, which will allow them to figure out how long they still need to progress.

It's a weird thing about number attributes. This can be fixed in the drawing event by checking whether the Minute attribute is lower than ten, and if so drawing a colon and a zero in front of a minute instead of just a colon e.g. "Hour & :0 & Minute & AM/PM".

Hour and Minute are my two number attributes for this, AM/PM is text.
I’m the guy who made the Poppytail series, The World of Elecreatures, Century Game and Easter Fun.

;)

NickamonPoppytail

Here are some images of Jawlock when he searches for you.

1) In Campbell's Office, looking at the player.
2) In the Main Hall, looking at the door to the North Room.
3) In the North Room, looking at the entrance to the Left Hall.
4) In Your Room.

;)

NickamonPoppytail

After some Pixeltail work, I now have jumpscare animations for Poppytail and Easter Bunny (both are 20+ frames), Alex can now walk diagonally (after messing with a modified version of the 8 Way Movement behaviour), and I have now about twenty new sprites done (probably more).

I’m working on Poppytail 5 now, and I’ve nearly finished making the images for all of the empty rooms. With this and a lot more programming on the map, the process will of creating the main game’s chapters should be much easier and less time consuming. I hope to have (this may be a little unrealistic, but I’ll try) Chapter 1 finished by the end of the month.

When I say the process is sped up, that excludes the creation of 3D character models (which can sometimes take at least two hours, as basic and blocky as my models are). Since I have not heard from JackAttackGames about the process of the Shyyon and Vehicle Dummy models, Chapter 2 may take a while. As much as I like the idea of using 3D models to construct 2D images for a 2D game, it does take up a lot of time. Still, I don’t want to rush anything in case I end up with a bad and rushed-looking game (just take a look at some of my earliest images for the game back when Nursina was light green and Exister was entirely opaque).

Since I am on a holiday and there is no wi-fi here (I am using mobile data to post on these forums), I cannot make more 3D models on Autodesk Fusion 360 because the files are stored in the cloud. When I get home, I’ll try to get a few done if I have time (which may be unlikely).

In the meantime, thank you to those people who still read this thread! :)

;)

NickamonPoppytail

Here is a devlog post I put on GameJolt. If you have a GJ account, please submit your response to the poll. The message from the post is below.

Hey everyone,

Poppytail 5 has taken multiple attempts to get… “acceptable”. If you look at the Stencyl forum thread you can see that some early images I had for this project weHey everyone,

Poppytail 5 has taken multiple attempts to get… “acceptable”. If you look at the Stencyl forum thread you can see that some early images I had for this project were of quite poor quality. Now I have figured out how to make everything I wanted to work properly.

The game is now working how I wanted it to, and most of my work on it has been building the map (since the mini map idea was scrapped), creating the images and the player’s ability to turn around. Pretty much I’m simulating a 3D environment in a first person perspective, while the game is technically in 2D.

Still finishing up Chapter 1’s code. My goal is to have a Flash version released on the Stencyl website and here on Game Jolt by the end of April. After that, it’s just adding more characters each chapter. I won’t release every chapter when it’s finished, but the occasional demo just to show that I’m making progress whenever I become quiet on Game Jolt.

Once again, if you want any news on how any game in the canon series is going, the link to the Stencyl forum thread (which I try to post to every few days) is below.

http://community.stencyl.com/index.php?topic=54694.0

Thank you all for sticking around,
Nickamon

P.S. The poll below is my question to you all of what you think I should do with my current projects. Please take the time to select one of the options.

« Last Edit: Today at 05:08:59 am by NickamonPoppytail »

;)