Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Poppytail

NickamonPoppytail

Here is the menu image (Poppytail, Easter Bunny and Rosemary Games logo) and the Windows icon (just Poppytail).

Unfortunately, since the icon is an icon file, it doesn't show up here and you have to click the link.

NickamonPoppytail

Hopefully the new menu image isn't as gigantic as the original. Also I forgot that I'd already posted the menu image lol

merrak

Thoughts?

Is this a third person game or first person? One of the screenshots made it look like third. If so, jumpscares seem a little bit like cheating to me, since the characters would be breaking the fourth wall to pop up in the screen. It'd make more sense if the player themselves were part of the story, or viewed the game through Alex's eyes. Instead, the player is an observer watching Alex. So who are the characters jumping at when they appear in the screen?

NickamonPoppytail

Thoughts?

Is this a third person game or first person? One of the screenshots made it look like third. If so, jumpscares seem a little bit like cheating to me, since the characters would be breaking the fourth wall to pop up in the screen. It'd make more sense if the player themselves were part of the story, or viewed the game through Alex's eyes. Instead, the player is an observer watching Alex. So who are the characters jumping at when they appear in the screen?

The game switches perspectives, as in most scenes Alex is being viewed by the player, but the jumpscares and very rarely some scenes are seen through his eyes. Although, the nightmares (if I haven't already explained this, they are a short series of scenes that tell some of the game's backstory before actually switching to a nightmare being had by Alex, involving multiple of the one character trying to kill him) are not seen through Alex's eyes before the level section begins, and there is a visual representation of events that happened before the main game.

The characters I can't reveal too much about without spoiling anything. This is not explained in this game who they are exactly, but eventually you may find out. ;)

Also I never actually thought about the different perspectives. I guess it is a bit confusing.

NickamonPoppytail

Also, this game is going to be released much sooner than I expected. I originally said the 10th of November, but I've pretty much finished the Game Jolt page. In fact, I may release it this afternoon. I'll see how it goes, and I'll put the link on this page.

Thank you for reading about my game! :)

merrak

I could see getting confused. Of course, it all depends on how the change in POV is presented.

NickamonPoppytail

Okay, the game will not be released until about a week from now, sorry for the delay.

I also wanted to quickly mention that my Game Jolt username is NickamonGaming. The reason I'm saying this is because I think I have lost the .STENCYL file of the game, so I cannot put it on Site Lock (I can upload on Game Jolt because I have the .exe file). This has happened to other Stencyl users (Stencylers?) before, so I wanted to say ONLY TRUST NICKAMONGAMING. Other versions are likely rip-offs (well, more than likely).

Another thing, this was one of my first projects in Stencyl. I now know many other things about how to use this software, so please don't judge some of the things in the game. Especially the lack of music or sound in general. This was before I figured out how to export Musescore files as .oggs, and I don't want to copy sound from other people. Before you say that the game is bad, keep in mind that this was the third game I'd ever made with Stencyl, and the other two were just simple, few-level platformers with bad physics and limited levels, that I made in a few days each. Thanks for understanding.

Also, I will continue to update this page with more information once the game is released. This could be anything from gameplay tips and hints, locations of the nightmares, or how to get secret endings in the game (because if I haven't already said it, there are).

Remember, feel free to post any questions about the game. ANY questions. I will answer as many as are posted here, but I may not reveal plot details or anything from outside what is in the game, such as the motivations for the enemies. Also, feel free to ask questions about The Poppytales as well (on the page for The Poppytales, as that is an entirely different game).

Also, I started working on this game on the 24th of April! In a few days it will be six months after I created this game! :)

Tl;dr: Gane will be released in a week, don't judge as it was one of my first games, I can now add sound, I will updated this page after the game's release, feel free to ask questions, only trust what is said by me and anything on the NickamonGaming Game Jolt account.

Sincerely,
NickamonPoppytail

Also, sorry for the long post which I will be surprised if it doesn't end up on Page 4, and thank you for taking time out of your life to look at this game and read extremely long posts like these (or the Tl;dr section). I appreciate it!

Only a week until the game is released! ;)

NickamonPoppytail

Okay, the game will not be released until about a week from now, sorry for the delay.

I also wanted to quickly mention that my Game Jolt username is NickamonGaming. The reason I'm saying this is because I think I have lost the .STENCYL file of the game, so I cannot put it on Site Lock (I can upload on Game Jolt because I have the .exe file). This has happened to other Stencyl users (Stencylers?) before, so I wanted to say ONLY TRUST NICKAMONGAMING. Other versions are likely rip-offs (well, more than likely).

Another thing, this was one of my first projects in Stencyl. I now know many other things about how to use this software, so please don't judge some of the things in the game. Especially the lack of music or sound in general. This was before I figured out how to export Musescore files as .oggs, and I don't want to copy sound from other people. Before you say that the game is bad, keep in mind that this was the third game I'd ever made with Stencyl, and the other two were just simple, few-level platformers with bad physics and limited levels, that I made in a few days each. Thanks for understanding.

Also, I will continue to update this page with more information once the game is released. This could be anything from gameplay tips and hints, locations of the nightmares, or how to get secret endings in the game (because if I haven't already said it, there are).

Remember, feel free to post any questions about the game. ANY questions. I will answer as many as are posted here, but I may not reveal plot details or anything from outside what is in the game, such as the motivations for the enemies. Also, feel free to ask questions about The Poppytales as well (on the page for The Poppytales, as that is an entirely different game).

Also, I started working on this game on the 24th of April! In a few days it will be six months after I created this game! :)

Tl;dr: Gane will be released in a week, don't judge as it was one of my first games, I can now add sound, I will updated this page after the game's release, feel free to ask questions, only trust what is said by me and anything on the NickamonGaming Game Jolt account.

Sincerely,
NickamonPoppytail

Also, sorry for the long post which I will be surprised if it doesn't end up on Page 4, and thank you for taking time out of your life to look at this game and read extremely long posts like these (or the Tl;dr section). I appreciate it!

Only a week until the game is released! ;)

NickamonPoppytail

What I wrote didn't appear on the previous post, but I'm surprised that this long post (well, now two) didn't go into Page 4.

decafpanda

Hey just a bit of quick advice.   Every time you sit down for a development session export the game and save it to a file call  "backups" on your HD then immediately copy that file into a USB flash drive.

It's really fast to do and good practice for making full proof backups every time you have a DEV session .

NickamonPoppytail

Hey just a bit of quick advice.   Every time you sit down for a development session export the game and save it to a file call  "backups" on your HD then immediately copy that file into a USB flash drive.

It's really fast to do and good practice for making full proof backups every time you have a DEV session .

Yeah, I probably have it on USB somewhere, but I am the worst person at finding things. I will put the link to this page on the Game Jolt page so people know this is the actual version of the game (despite me also stating that on the GJ page itself).

NickamonPoppytail

I also find that using Carbonite is useful, only it doesn't back up .exe files (luckily when Windows Defender deleted the game off one of my computers thinking it was malware, I had it on another computer).

Btw, that happened when I attempted a download from the Game Jolt page.

NickamonPoppytail

https://p5b4y2t6.ssl.hwcdn.net/screenshot-thumbnail/400x2000/476887-v3.jpg

What could've made Gremlin Girl get so angry as to spontaneously combust? Unless maybe this never happened...

Also, I copied the image from Game Jolt since I'm on my phone and not my laptop now. That's why the link goes to some other place on the web. Sorry about that.