Poppytail Series

decafpanda

I would highly recommend making this game "you tell me" price.  People can play for free and decide if the game is worth their money.

NickamonPoppytail

I would highly recommend making this game "you tell me" price.  People can play for free and decide if the game is worth their money.

I could, but it's only US$1. In Australian dollars, that's only about $1.30. That's not much, and it guarantees I get something for two months of work.
Upcoming Projects
Poppytail 5 and Pixeltail: Fifth and sixth main instalments in Poppytail series. A Game About Trimming Hedges: Final Version: An updated version of the original AGATH. One Million: Last-one-standing style small project. The Poppytales: Platformer boss rush with character collecting. Skies n' Fall: Boss rush shooter prequel to Rise n' Brawl. Precious: Weird platformer. Christmas Time 2: Sequel to Christmas Time 1.

NickamonPoppytail

Poppytail 2 introduces minigames which depict events of the game's story, told or untold by the first game. Here is an image of a character from one of them. I'll leave it up to you to try and figure this one out.
Upcoming Projects
Poppytail 5 and Pixeltail: Fifth and sixth main instalments in Poppytail series. A Game About Trimming Hedges: Final Version: An updated version of the original AGATH. One Million: Last-one-standing style small project. The Poppytales: Platformer boss rush with character collecting. Skies n' Fall: Boss rush shooter prequel to Rise n' Brawl. Precious: Weird platformer. Christmas Time 2: Sequel to Christmas Time 1.

NickamonPoppytail

I'm actually surprised that 20 people have already looked at the game's page. Thank you! ;)
Upcoming Projects

JeffreyDriver

I could, but it's only US$1. In Australian dollars, that's only about $1.30. That's not much, and it guarantees I get something for two months of work.

Well if I can be honest, I think you're going to struggle to entice people, as your graphics need some polishing.

decafpanda

As much as I would agree that $1 is not a lot of money.  The gaming scene is extremely competitive.  There are so many games at extremely high quality that are free all across the web. 

At the very least you should probably have a trailer or a video of some gameplay.  It's not really clear on what the game is.  Please take no offense, but the art looks really rough and in the description you are telling players to not give you a bad rating because you are a new developer.

With all the high quality, free games available,  you are really going to struggle getting any sales for your game.

NickamonPoppytail

Well if I can be honest, I think you're going to struggle to entice people, as your graphics need some polishing.

Yeah, I can see what you mean, as this was when I was using Pencyl while not knowing how a lot of things worked in it.
Upcoming Projects

NickamonPoppytail

As much as I would agree that $1 is not a lot of money.  The gaming scene is extremely competitive.  There are so many games at extremely high quality that are free all across the web. 

At the very least you should probably have a trailer or a video of some gameplay.  It's not really clear on what the game is.  Please take no offense, but the art looks really rough and in the description you are telling players to not give you a bad rating because you are a new developer.

With all the high quality, free games available,  you are really going to struggle getting any sales for your game.

I know, but $1 means that's I'll get something for months of work.

No offence taken, I didn't know how to use Pencyl when I was making this game. About the description, I am not telling players to not give me a bad rating. I'm fine with that. I just wanted them to consider that I made it with little experience in what I was doing, so that they should keep in mind that the game won't look as professional as some others, but to not judge without actually playing the game first. Also, what software would you recommend for making a trailer?

About the sales, I'm okay as long as I get something. I don't care if it's $1 or more than that. I just want people to enjoy the game for what it is, despite the graphics and everything else.
Upcoming Projects

JeffreyDriver

About the sales, I'm okay as long as I get something. I don't care if it's $1 or more than that. I just want people to enjoy the game for what it is, despite the graphics and everything else.

Here's the thing - first impressions count, and your graphics don't cut the mustard.

Fortunately, replacing your graphics are easily done. I'd say forget Pencyl, and download Inkscape. I think that you should start with really simple graphics. I guess you're too young to know the Atari 2600, but despite the rudimentary graphics, it produced some iconic games. Start simple, then you can build up from there.

Try creating really blocky graphics and see how it works. A good tip is to keep all your graphics the same style.

NickamonPoppytail

Here's the thing - first impressions count, and your graphics don't cut the mustard.

Fortunately, replacing your graphics are easily done. I'd say forget Pencyl, and download Inkscape. I think that you should start with really simple graphics. I guess you're too young to know the Atari 2600, but despite the rudimentary graphics, it produced some iconic games. Start simple, then you can build up from there.

Try creating really blocky graphics and see how it works. A good tip is to keep all your graphics the same style.

Originally when making the game I wanted to make the art pixellated and sprite-based, but I didn't know how Pencyl worked. I just have made this game with simple-looking graphics (I am no artist), and people who I've had test the game (about 20 people) have mostly said that they didn't mind the art style, some people even saying it worked.

I'll take a look at Inkscape. Thank you for your recommendations.
Upcoming Projects

NickamonPoppytail

There are going to be different enemies in this game than in the last one. If you've played the first Poppytail and found that difficult, balancing twelve characters at once instead of 3-6 is going to be even more difficult.

I'll get some images here later today. Thank you for reading about the first game and I hope you'll enjoy this game and the last one.
Upcoming Projects

NickamonPoppytail

Prepare for massive images.
Upcoming Projects

NickamonPoppytail

Here's another one.
Upcoming Projects

NickamonPoppytail

Third one for today.
Upcoming Projects

NickamonPoppytail

50% off sale for 24 hours.
Upcoming Projects