Poppytail Series

merrak

Finished game! Thoughts?

https://gamejolt.com/games/Poppytail1/287813

I don't think your Gamejolt page is effective. There's no tagline--no hook, the first two paragraphs are warnings, and the first screenshots I see are completely meaningless. Even if the graphics were the best in the world, the images still tell me nothing about the game. None of it would make any sense to me if I didn't come from the Stencyl Community thread.

My thoughts on this: First, come up with a tagline. This can be tough to do (I've been struggling to think of a good one for my game), but it's important. You want to command attention the moment an eye hits your page.

Second, what are the best aspects of your game? Sell those. The graphics are weak and there's no sound, but that doesn't mean some other area of the game (story, mechanics) can't make up for the shortcomings. So show us the best parts. You've told us about the gameplay, but haven't shown us. I think the storyteller's favorite advice, "show, don't tell", is applicable here. Give us a video and get to the important parts quickly.

Third, I'd take out most of the screenshots. It looks like you uploaded your game's resources folder to the Gamejolt page. Show off your best or most interesting and keep the rest out of the spotlight.

Last, price: If you're going to ask for any amount of money at all, the standard of quality goes up. Regardless of if I'm going to pay $1 or $60, I'm still going to have to open my wallet and enter my credit card number. In a world of increasingly short attention spans, an added step is a problem.

I'd look up other games that are priced under $5 (regular price, not sale price) in the same genre as your game and check that your advertisements are competitive.

NickamonPoppytail

Finished game! Thoughts?

https://gamejolt.com/games/Poppytail1/287813

I don't think your Gamejolt page is effective. There's no tagline--no hook, the first two paragraphs are warnings, and the first screenshots I see are completely meaningless. Even if the graphics were the best in the world, the images still tell me nothing about the game. None of it would make any sense to me if I didn't come from the Stencyl Community thread.

My thoughts on this: First, come up with a tagline. This can be tough to do (I've been struggling to think of a good one for my game), but it's important. You want to command attention the moment an eye hits your page.

Second, what are the best aspects of your game? Sell those. The graphics are weak and there's no sound, but that doesn't mean some other area of the game (story, mechanics) can't make up for the shortcomings. So show us the best parts. You've told us about the gameplay, but haven't shown us. I think the storyteller's favorite advice, "show, don't tell", is applicable here. Give us a video and get to the important parts quickly.

Third, I'd take out most of the screenshots. It looks like you uploaded your game's resources folder to the Gamejolt page. Show off your best or most interesting and keep the rest out of the spotlight.

Last, price: If you're going to ask for any amount of money at all, the standard of quality goes up. Regardless of if I'm going to pay $1 or $60, I'm still going to have to open my wallet and enter my credit card number. In a world of increasingly short attention spans, an added step is a problem.

I'd look up other games that are priced under $5 (regular price, not sale price) in the same genre as your game and check that your advertisements are competitive.

Thanks for the advice! I'll make some edits!
Currently developing Poppytail 5, Pixeltail, and The Poppytales.

Email: nick.rosemarygames.poppytail@gmail.com

;)

NickamonPoppytail

Okay, because you have been recommending I should make the game "name your price", I have done it.

Hope you enjoy the game! :)

;)

JeffreyDriver

Will you be providing an OSX version?
Current Projects:
Retro Redux Compilation (NEW).
Retro Redux (untitled) (NEW).
I always appreciate useful feedback. Thank you.
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

NickamonPoppytail

Will you be providing an OSX version?

Sorry to say, but no. I don't own a Mac and I have lost the .STENCYL file for the first game. If I'm able to find someone with a Mac who is okay with me publishing a game on it, I may be able to have a Mac version of the second game.

Sorry about that. Stencyl doesn't allow me to publish games to OSX.

;)

NickamonPoppytail

Here are some more characters.

;)

JeffreyDriver

Ok. I was hoping to test it for you.
Current Projects:
Retro Redux Compilation (NEW).
Retro Redux (untitled) (NEW).
I always appreciate useful feedback. Thank you.
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

NickamonPoppytail

If you know someone with a Windows, you could test it on their computer if they'll let you.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

;)

merrak

I was able to run it using WINE, but I only got to see the left side of the screen. I blame my unusual xserver configuration, though. I have a new laptop coming and I can probably play it on its one screen once it arrives and I install WINE on it.

In my opinion, the revised Gamejolt page is much improved over the first one.

NickamonPoppytail

I was able to run it using WINE, but I only got to see the left side of the screen. I blame my unusual xserver configuration, though. I have a new laptop coming and I can probably play it on its one screen once it arrives and I install WINE on it.

In my opinion, the revised Gamejolt page is much improved over the first one.

Thanks for the tips. :) Hope you enjoy the game when you get your new laptop!

;)

NickamonPoppytail

Some more characters for Poppytail 2!

;)

NickamonPoppytail

Also, here's a crying Enderguy.

;)

NickamonPoppytail

86 views on Game Jolt! ;) Anyone who got to the end of Chapter 1 and chose to go through the Emergency Exit will know why this is important.

;)

NickamonPoppytail

86 views on Game Jolt! ;) Anyone who got to the end of Chapter 1 and chose to go through the Emergency Exit will know why this is important.

;)

NickamonPoppytail

100 views! Yay! Thank you everyone for looking at the game! :)

;)