Poppytail Series

1MrPaul1

cat with hand from back it is very creative...

NickamonPoppytail

cat with hand from back it is very creative...

If you mean Wicked Poppytail, he’s based on a dog (specifically the papillon breed) and the “hand” is a flower.

Thanks btw.
Upcoming Projects
Poppytail 5 and Pixeltail: Fifth and sixth main instalments in Poppytail series. A Game About Trimming Hedges: Final Version: An updated version of the original AGATH. Easter Fun 2: A sequel to the original Easter Fun. One Million: Last-one-standing style small project. The Poppytales: RPG using characters from other stuff I've made/am making. Skies n' Fall: Boss rush shooter prequel to Rise n' Brawl.

NickamonPoppytail

Here are some new characters:

1) Wicked Snarly Dog
2) Red Guy

Wicked Snarly Dog is another enemy (as her counterparts Snarly Dog and Smiler have been in previous games) for Poppytail 4. She is a lot faster than either Snarly or Smiler, so she's more difficult to get past.

Red Guy is not an enemy in the main gameplay, but he will be in all of the new minigames as an antagonist, and will usually end up attacking the player at the end of the minigame (and he sometimes uses an umbrella of all things to do so).

Also speaking of Smiler, she will get her own minigame. As will Bun-Bun and Hybrid Chicken. Almost all of the new enemies will also make some sort of appearance in these.
Upcoming Projects
Poppytail 5 and Pixeltail: Fifth and sixth main instalments in Poppytail series. A Game About Trimming Hedges: Final Version: An updated version of the original AGATH. Easter Fun 2: A sequel to the original Easter Fun. One Million: Last-one-standing style small project. The Poppytales: RPG using characters from other stuff I've made/am making. Skies n' Fall: Boss rush shooter prequel to Rise n' Brawl.

NickamonPoppytail

Image 1: Red Guy with his umbrella.

Image 2: Red Guy with his wheelbarrow of things that may or may not be important to the game's story.

Image 3: Italian Baguettes are returning!
Upcoming Projects

NickamonPoppytail

Here are the last two enemies: Wicked Lizard Hunter and Cheesestick.

There are also more endings in this game than the previous three. This game has seven collectable stars that appear on the menu for each ending and extra (non-canon) chapter. There is also an Italian Baguette that can be unlocked on the menu as well. The stars are as follows:

Yellow- Normal Ending
Blue- Chapter 6
Orange- Chapter 7
Black- Error Ending
Red- 100 Death Ending
Purple- Overachiever Ending
Green- Overachiever II Ending

Also, I don't think I mentioned this about Custom Chapters in my original post, but Alice can be turned on and off.

I'm thinking of releasing on the 20th of January, although this is not final.
Upcoming Projects

NickamonPoppytail

Okay, this is not for Poppytail 4, but Poppytail 5 (my current project that causes the Java Virtual Machine's memory to fill up every five minutes when I've created a small fraction of the final product).

Here are some room backgrounds that I have. The rooms are referred to in the game as "Campbell's Office" and "Your Room". There are still nine more room backgrounds for me to do for the whole game. These are not final but will be in an early version of PT5.

My plan on releasing Poppytail 5 is after I have released PT4, I will finish one chapter of PT5, release that and start working on the next. If anyone has any feedback for that, then I will take that into consideration when making the next chapter. Then I will do this until Chapter 5 and all of the endings are finished (which will be the game's final version).

All I will say is that Poppytail 5 explores a different part of Poppytail's timeline, features a different gameplay style (including a first person view that's not just for death screens), but will still feature multiple endings (except these will be actual endings other than just a screen with text on it) and minigames in the same style as the three games before it.
Upcoming Projects

NickamonPoppytail

https://gamejolt.com/games/Poppytail4/300506

Here is the finished game. I said the 20th If January earlier, but I just decided to release the game because it’s finished and so I can show off stuff for Poppytail 5 other than two room background placeholders.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 10:33:58 pm by NickamonPoppytail »
Upcoming Projects

rob1221

What in the world did I just play  ???

NickamonPoppytail

What in the world did I just play  ???

Poppytail 4. Where did you get up to?
Upcoming Projects

rob1221

I'm not sure, but I didn't play long.  The controls and collisions are pretty frustrating.

1MrPaul1

I think this game series got to be treated like a spam, what if newcomers will see that whole page of the games made with stencyl is poppytail 1, poppytail 2, poppytail 3, poppytail 4 .... 25, what they will think about stencyl....
To the author, you got to be more serious to your creation, if you make some new doodle and create a new topic in the forum it is not a journal about game creation it is 100% spam. I hope moderators will agree with me
Of cause I'm not against the art of NickamonPoppytail but I think he need to be more critical to himself.
And he can make even 100 series of his game, but they all got to be in 1 topic.

NickamonPoppytail

And he can make even 100 series of his game, but they all got to be in 1 topic.

This is why I decided to stop doing individual forum threads for each game. I don’t know if it’s possible to merge topics, but I would if that was possible.

I think this game series got to be treated like a spam, what if newcomers will see that whole page of the games made with stencyl is poppytail 1, poppytail 2, poppytail 3, poppytail 4 .... 25, what they will think about stencyl....

This is also another reason that this thread is PT4 and onwards. Another reason is so others can post without it being buried underneath however many Poppytail games.

To the author, you got to be more serious to your creation, if you make some new doodle and create a new topic in the forum it is not a journal about game creation it is 100% spam.

I understand, which is why I’m using this thread and The Poppytales when I resume development on it after PT5 is finished.
Upcoming Projects

NickamonPoppytail

I'm not sure, but I didn't play long.  The controls and collisions are pretty frustrating.

The controls are meant to be frustrating, as I’m using “When <key> is released” is meant to make it more difficult. If the controls worked when keys were down it would remove part of the game’s difficulty.
Upcoming Projects

merrak

I have to agree with rob1221 about the controls. I can appreciate a difficult game, but in this case I think you're achieving difficulty by taking control away from the player. It feels unfair and breaks immersion. I also had to give up after a few minutes because I kept respawning on top of a monster and was unable to continue.

On the plus side, having some sound is a definite improvement over the first game. I don't think the graphics lend themselves to the sort of atmosphere you're trying to create, but the sound does.

NickamonPoppytail

I have to agree with rob1221 about the controls. I can appreciate a difficult game, but in this case I think you're achieving difficulty by taking control away from the player. It feels unfair and breaks immersion.

This is kind of the point, as Alex wouldn't have much control over the situation if he was trapped in a building filled with killer flower-tailed papillons and other creatures with only Alice to block their attacks.

I also had to give up after a few minutes because I kept respawning on top of a monster and was unable to continue.

What I've found is if  monster kills you in your starting position, closing the game on the death screen fixes it unless you have already pressed enter, as the game makes the character spawn in the starting position.

On the plus side, having some sound is a definite improvement over the first game. I don't think the graphics lend themselves to the sort of atmosphere you're trying to create, but the sound does.

Thanks! I recently found out that I could export my Musescore files as .oggs, which I had no idea how to do when making the first three games. I've also found out how to export Garageband files from my iPad as .m4as, so I can convert some of those to .oggs for future games (some of which will be in Poppytail 5).
Upcoming Projects