Poppytail Series

NickamonPoppytail

Firstly, Pirate Wray has died. Pirate was one of my dogs, and the inspiration for many characters within my book and many of my games. He was put to sleep a few days ago, on Monday afternoon (24th September). He was nearly sixteen and a half years old when he died (29th April 2002-24th September 2018).

I am sorry to hear that.
All the best!

Thank you

RIP Pirate Wray
April 2002-September 2018

NickamonPoppytail

I have not posted in a while. I have news. I have not worked on my games recently (excluding Easter Fun), which I will start getting back into after a couple of weeks.

I want to get Poppytail 5 done this year. It has been nearly a year since I started and I have had to do other things in my life instead of making progress on the game. I plan to release the full game on GameJolt by the 24th of December, 2018, or a year after I officially released Poppytail 3.

I'm working on Chapter 4 at the moment. I'm thinking of working on some minigames soon. The minigames in PT5 are not exclusive to the new characters. Pink Poppy, Auto, Wicked Easter Bunny and Cheesestick will be getting their own minigames too (to give a few examples).

Still haven't modelled Ennuyeux or Summer-Rose. Still need to do those. I have a plan here which I want to try and follow to get my games done by:

Poppytail 5 (December 24th, 2018)
One Million (January 30th, 2019)
Pixeltail (October 12th, 2019)
A Game About Trimming Hedges: Final Version (October 20th, 2019)
The Poppytales (June 19th, 2020)

The dates listed above are not final. I'm hoping to get my games done either before or actually on those dates. Let's see how I go.

About the AGATH update. It's going to be canon to the Poppytail series. So will One Million. I won't state how they link together. When the Final Version of AGATH and the first version of OM release, you can find the links on your own if you're thinking of getting the games. I want to release the AGATH update after Pixeltail. It may be easier to find the links if one has completed Pixeltail first or at least knows the game's canon storyline.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 02:47:32 am by NickamonPoppytail »

RIP Pirate Wray

NickamonPoppytail

Quick Update: Other than voice acting, Chapter 4 is finally finished (after many weeks of procrastination), Chapter 5 got done in a few days (which I am yet to beat; my PB is around 4pm; didn't see my time after how quickly Vehicle Dummy slammed into me). Currently working on Chapter 6. Chapters 5 and 6 are easy because I know how to program characters to move in room to room cycles like that (except Petal and Binary move in sync).

So, in short, 13/25 characters programmed, the next three enemies for Chapter 6 (Rumble, Tumble and The Dog) are simpler modified versions of Jawlock, Nursina, and Exister are easy, and then we get onto the more interesting ones.

So far in the game, every time William Brown (the player character) turns around or moves to a new room, all they can see (excluding the text telling them what room they're in, what day it is, and what time it is, APPARITION's timer, the compass, the subtitles and the arrows, as he does not have these literally imprinted in his vision) has been just one image. There's no layering except for layering one 2D image on top of another in one image file/Stencyl animation.

Papimannequin (Chapter 7 enemy) will appear in the north side of Your Room. However, there are already so many animations for this space (empty, empty with door selected, Jawlock, Jawlock with door selected, The Dog, The Dog with door selected, APPARITION's jumpscare, Jawlock's jumpscare, The Dog's jumpscare, Shyyon's jumpscare) that it would be highly impractical to do this considering how many memory and storage issues I've had to the point where everything's just shoved in its own atlas and Poppytail 5 is now the only game I have in the Stencyl software (the others are backed up as .STENCYLs). Same goes for Chapter 7's other new enemy, Nope Nope, who is supposed to appear on every single image in the game except in jumpscares or rooms where he is ready to attack. This would make it a pain to program this and it would again be highly impractical to double the game's amount of images all for the sake of adding this one character. I'm going to have to figure out some sort of layering arrangement.

I might have to do this for Twistwitch as well. Although I think that all of the other unprogrammed enemies should be fine without layering their images on top for the following reasons:
1) Ennuyeux's only image is his jumpscare animation
2) Banana Prototype and End Prototype have one image of their own each
3) Cakeface, Tripper and Summer-Rose have areas where they can go so they do not overlap spaces where other characters are present, unlike how Jawlock and Shyyon overlap sometimes, for example:

No one by ------- Campbell's desk.

Jawlock alone by the same desk.

Shyyon alone by this desk.

Now both of them are together by the same spot.

If there were a door behind them, there would be double the animations because of whether the door would be highlighted or not. This is why I want to avoid this; it means less animations in the long run and makes everything more torturous for the player from having to keep turning around, watching out for enemies from all angles.

Sorry if this is difficult for anyone to understand. You may have to look at the character list and perhaps play the crappy and old test version.

Also, about character modelling. In all of this time, Ennuyeux (I still keep misspelling his name as "Enneyeux") and Summer-Rose still don't have models.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 01:15:50 am by NickamonPoppytail »

RIP Pirate Wray

NickamonPoppytail

Quick news:

1) Chapter 6 is nearly finished.
2) Ennyeux has been modelled:

3) Binary and Petal will be voiced by Nintendoboy (same person who voiced Jawlock)
4) I will now also be voicing The Dog.
5) Dingo Cool, Bad Bunny, Skelisa, Cinder and G'day Gecko will be excluded from Chapter 6 for issues with difficulty.
6) The character list has been updated with new images and voice lines.

Message from Ennuyeux: If you don't like these games,

« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 03:21:10 am by NickamonPoppytail »

RIP Pirate Wray