Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Stencyl apk over 100MB needs expansion apk?

squeeb

Play store updated since I last tried to upload an apk file... now states I need an expansion apk file.
How can we do this with stencyl?  I may be able to skim it down a little  now.. but any updates will make me go over 100mb...
Also, what image sizes do we need for Android? 1 1.5 2 3 4 ect? What can I uncheck?
Thank you!

ceosol

I always go with 1 large size at 1x and uncheck all of the others. Scaling down gives quality results without needing the hefty file sizes.

squeeb

I imported the graphics at 4x.. so my graphics are big.  Things that are needing to be 320x480 are 1280x1920 .And I have all scales selected.  What size should the images be when I import?  And I select 1x when i import them?  And uncheck all boxes except 1x?

rob1221

If you want to use Ceosol's suggestion then you'll need to block the smaller and lower performance devices because their lower memory won't be able to handle the larger images (scaling down in game doesn't reduce memory).  If you want to support those lower end devices then it's better to cut out the higher scales, although the game will look more blurry on larger devices.

ceosol

If you want to use Ceosol's suggestion then you'll need to block the smaller and lower performance devices because their lower memory won't be able to handle the larger images (scaling down in game doesn't reduce memory).  If you want to support those lower end devices then it's better to cut out the higher scales, although the game will look more blurry on larger devices.

This is true. However, I have made games in 2048x1536 resolution at 1x and never received complaints about missing images.

squeeb

I apologize guys.. I'm lost on this haha.
My game right now was imported at 4x.
1. Do I need to re import my graphics?  If yes. What size do i make the graphics, ( I made the images 4 times bigger than I needed.. and what do I select when importing (4x at the moment)

2.  Do I need to block low end devices?  I'd hate to lose users.

3. Scaling down?  What do you mean? Use tweens to make them the right size in game?

ceosol

1. I believe if you unchecked 4x right now and did "cleanup unused files", it would get rid of the high resolution graphics. So you might have to reimport the higher res graphics at 1x and uncheck the 1.5x, 2x, 4x, etc. At that point, cleanup unused files should shrink your apk to 10-15 MB.

2. Low end devices will usually be blocked anyway because of targeted and minimum versions (settings>mobile>version). The worst that will happen on the low end ones is a black or pink box will appear where the graphic should have been. Seeing your sprites, I don't think that you have any graphics that would do that.

Another possibility that you can try is chopping up your background image (that might be the biggest file size). If you turn that into screen-sized minimal actors and line them up, you should be able to significant reduce the resource drain on lower devices.

3. settings>mobile>display>scale mode ... You don't need to tween anything. I think your auto-rotate code also changes the scale mode. So you might already be scaling down/up to fit various devices.

squeeb

game settings>> settings>> advanced>> project scales are all unchecked except 1x
game settings>> mobile display >> scales are all unchecked except 1x

i hit clean project, and when i check the resources folder... they are all still there
theres even some with 5 different sizes or 4!!??

LIBERADO

Try: Debug > Game > Cleanup Unused Files
I'm spanish, excuse me for my bad English.
I'm not a private teacher. Please, post your questions in the public forum.

ceosol

Try: Debug > Game > Cleanup Unused Files

Yes, this.

If you have already saved the game with 1x, 2x, 4x, etc. all checked, those files will still be there. The only way to remove them is to uncheck those scaling options and then cleanup unused files.

squeeb

thank you that worked!
lastly is there a fast  way to re import graphics? or do i have to reimport them 1 by 1? !!?? they are blury on galaxy s7
1. I believe if you unchecked 4x right now and did "cleanup unused files", it would get rid of the high resolution graphics. So you might have to reimport the higher res graphics at 1x and uncheck the 1.5x, 2x, 4x, etc.

i do have all the images backed up from the resources folder

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 10:42:08 am by squeeb »

LIBERADO

lastly is there a fast  way to re import graphics? or do i have to reimport them 1 by 1? !!??
If you have a backup of your images, simply replace them instead of re-importing them.
I'm spanish, excuse me for my bad English.
I'm not a private teacher. Please, post your questions in the public forum.

squeeb

awesome!! thank you guys.. i shrunk it down and have 4x