Restore purchase button - A requirement for apps with micro-transactions?

vikingpotato

A friend of mine was talking about how got a few apps rejected from the app store because he had a dual currency system that required micro-transactions, but his app did not support restore purchases.
He said to fix it, he had to set up a server that saved all the purchases made, and could return it to the user by the 'restore purchases' button.
Did someone else experience this? Do you think this is for consumable + non consumable purchases?

ceosol

That is a tricky situation. With in-app purchases that are consumable, you can bypass restoring with strategic "use" placements. For these examples, let's call the regular currency "coins" and the in-app purchase currency "gems".

1. Easiest way is to have gems solely used for purchasing one-time-use items. That way you never have to worry about restoring it. Once gems are used in this way, by consuming, it does not need to be restored (which is the objective of having it be consumable).

2. If you allow for permanent boosts to be purchased with gems AND coins, I think that also bypasses the need to restore since the player could just purchase it with coins.

3. Finally, have whatever permanent boost be a part of a dual purchase with gems. Such as, you get a +5% permanent increase to attack strength and 100 gems. That way, you check for the non-consumable purchase of +5% attack strength and can restore it without necessarily having to restore the gems.

A way I bypassed this was by having the in-app purchase be for a "token" that was then redeemed (i.e. "used") for getting the gems. Since the token was consumed, it could not be restored.

vikingpotato

Thanks.
'A way I bypassed this was by having the in-app purchase be for a "token" that was then redeemed (i.e. "used") for getting the gems. Since the token was consumed, it could not be restored.'
This seems like a valid workaround.