Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Poppytail 2

NickamonPoppytail

I cannot make the Flash version "Pay What You Want" because Game Jolt thinks I'm selling a fan game for some reason.

I keep getting a message that says "Accepting payments for fangames is illegal and against our terms. If you sell fangames, we will remove your account and block you from the Marketplace."

I am making this a new package on Game Jolt and I cannot use any Pricing option other than "Free". I'm using a laptop and I'll try on my phone to see if this'll work. (Edit: The same message popped up).

merrak

Did the first game work while using WINE?

No, but it's probably my unusual monitor configuration.

NickamonPoppytail

Hello everyone,

I released this a while ago and I’m not sure if all of you noticed that this game was out. This game is much better than the last in terms of mechanics, content, and story (if you manage to put the pieces together).

I also announced Poppytail 3 on the Stencyl forums, so be sure to also check the Stencyl forum pages for my games (I am NickamonPoppytail on those), because that’s where I post updates and teasers and stuff that I don’t put in the Game Jolt devlogs, so be sure to check the Stencyl forums for news.

Also, there have only been two downloads of the game so far, but the first was me by accident (before the game was even released) and the second was Stencyl user merrak, although he had trouble running it through WINE and got to the second scene of the game (not even Chapter 1).

So if anyone is reading this, could you please play the game, rate and comment (and do the same with the first if you haven’t already), and tell your friends if you enjoyed the games!

Also, in case none of you knew (I know a few people do because I told them), the story is more detailed than you may realise, because user 20jhe told me they beat the first game in five minutes, and other people may also do the same. If you take your time trying to find the hidden endings, nightmares, and minigames, some things that may seem random may start fitting together. Poppytail isn’t simply "Alex gets letter, Alex makes stupid mistake going back to Rosemary Games, Alex nearly dies a thousand times, Alex finds another person, Alex nearly dies a thousand more times."

Go back through the games and find the pieces to the games’ story. There are three endings, a hidden chapter, and six hidden nightmares in the first game. In the second there are three (main) endings, two hidden chapters and eight hidden minigames. Then you might see how things fit together.

Thanks for looking at the games, or playing them, there are more games coming, and they get better, but the story is the same. Good luck!

This is something I just put on Poppytail 2's devlog. Hope this interests some of you!

Justin

When I looked at the game's page on GameJolt, it looked like the preview images were just copied from the game's resources folder. A serious buzzkill when looking at a new game.

I know next to nothing about marketing games, but I think a good first step would be to get rid of all of the existing images and replace them with some interesting in-game screenshots.

For Live Support: Join our discord channel and ping me @justin.

NickamonPoppytail

When I looked at the game's page on GameJolt, it looked like the preview images were just copied from the game's resources folder. A serious buzzkill when looking at a new game.

I know next to nothing about marketing games, but I think a good first step would be to get rid of all of the existing images and replace them with some interesting in-game screenshots.

I’m still having trouble with taking screenshots as I am greeted with a black screen when I save or paste a screenshot.

Justin

Try holding "alt" and pressing "print screen" on your keyboard while running the game in windowed mode, and then paste the image into paint.

For Live Support: Join our discord channel and ping me @justin.

NickamonPoppytail

It worked once in Chapter 1, but then I tried another screenshot and got the black screen again.

merrak

Found this on the MS site. Would the Snipping Tool work more reliably?

Where else are you promoting your game? One thing to keep in mind about the Stencyl forums is that this is primarily a community of developers. You're probably not going to reach a very large audience by solely promoting the game here.

If you aren't getting the results you want then I'd start by thinking about what your ultimate goal is. Is this a "learning project" in which you want critique? Is your goal to make a certain profit off the game? Something else entirely?

NickamonPoppytail

Where else are you promoting your game?

Other than here and the Game Jolt page, I'm not really promoting it anywhere else. Two people have sent the URLs of the games to a few thousand people each, but it doesn't seem like they've been checking their messages. I don't have a Facebook or a Twitter account, so I don't really have anywhere else to promote it. Any recommendations?

If you aren't getting the results you want then I'd start by thinking about what your ultimate goal is. Is this a "learning project" in which you want critique? Is your goal to make a certain profit off the game? Something else entirely?

Well, since the games are "Name Your Price", I guess profits are out the window because only one person paid anything. And they paid a whole US$0.50, and for some reason I only ended up receiving 32% of that.

I guess these games are learning projects, as I've been going around the Stencyl website playing some of the games, and these are pretty much nothing compared to them.

I'm not really sure if I actually have a goal with making the game, but I hope at least a few people get some enjoyment out of playing these games (other than some of my friends, who enjoy the games and the backstory hidden away in the basic-looking minigames guarded by advertisements of a smiling papillon*).

*I'm talking about Dizzy (probably the only one of the game's characters that actually looks good, even if she's just a character on an advertisement).

Looking at the information, I think that would work better. I won't try anything immediately, as I have a couple of things to do now, but I'll try to use the Snipping Tool to get some screenshots of the first and second games tomorrow.

NickamonPoppytail

I am having trouble using this to capture screenshots as the taskbar does not show up at any point while either Poppytail is running, unless you have the game open but you are not currently in that window, so I can't get the Snipping Tool application to appear on top of these so I can take a screenshot.

merrak

What if you ran the game in windowed mode?