Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Do you prefer tight controls?

ozz

I was playing a number of Sidescrolle/Platformers for reference and I noticed many of the popular examples (Mario, Sonic, etc) have a looser movement system, having a bit of slide after you let go of the Dpad and even jumping physics that can be more dependent on momentum them modern Platformers.  So my though is, what do you prefer?

Tight movement controls (dead stop when buttons are released)
or
Loose controls (a bit of momentum and sliding)

« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 07:42:37 am by ozz »

LIBERADO

I prefer a bit of inertia, but very little, almost imperceptible, so you can still have a good control of your character and its movement looks more elegant, pleasant and natural.
I'm spanish, excuse me for my bad English.
I'm not a private teacher. Please, post your questions in the public forum.

havana24

I prefer tight controls.
But I think that's all about the space between traps and your character.
If you have levels with lots of space (like in mario and sonic) loose control would be better (you don't need tight move to avoid enemies, and the movement is more smooth), if you have little space you need more control on your character, so tight movement are the way.
In my platfrom games I always  used tight movement.
My Website: www.havana24.net

ceosol

Loose - you can do some really cool things with the game physics.

ozz

So from what I'm hearing, the most important thing is not how tight or not the controls are, but that you build the game around the controls you choose?

NickamonPoppytail

So from what I'm hearing, the most important thing is not how tight or not the controls are, but that you build the game around the controls you choose?

Or vice versa.