Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Nanowrimo

merrak

Anyone participating in Nanowrimo this year? (If you've never heard of it, the goal is to write a 50,000 word novel in the month of November) I haven't done it in a long time, but I did win last time I participated  8) My wife is trying it for the first time and so I joined her. I write everything in TeX, so I won't get a word count until I convert to plain text at the end of the month. So far I'm about twenty pages in. I'm trying something new and writing a science fiction novel. World-building is a bit more challenging than I thought it'd be.

merrak

I got curious and checked my word count. I fell way behind par (4,000 of 8,333 words for 11/5). Whoops! Should've kept a closer eye on it, I thought I was writing a lot more than I was.

I managed to catch up, though. I'm now at 8,100. Now I know I need to get 150 pages output from PDFLaTeX. I'm feeling pretty good about the story right now. If I'm feeling adventurous I'll write a couple more drafts and shoot off a query letter.

NobodyX

I don't like writing enough to do NaNoWriMo myself, but I find it really fascinating. I think just making a ton of stuff without having time to edit is a great idea.
“If you wind up with a boring, miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on TV telling you how to do your shit, then YOU DESERVE IT.”
― Frank Zappa

merrak

I liken Nanowrimo to Ludum Dare, although Nanowrimo doesn't have judging. (Not complaining--I wouldn't want to read twenty novel first drafts, nor would I want anyone reading my first draft :P)

It's a break I really needed. I've been so focused on the isometric renderer I've been working on that I was burning out and progressing slowly. I think an occasional stretching the old other-side-of-the-brain is necessary from time to time. Staying focused on one project has its merits, but so does sanity.

merrak

What are you up to now?

About to hit the 24,000 mark 8)* The problem with November is the Thanksgiving holiday (at least in the US) and midterms. I guess no month is perfect, though.

* Speaking of writing, what's the proper way to punctuate after an emoticon? Does the punctuation go before or after?

NickamonPoppytail

What are you up to now?

About to hit the 24,000 mark 8)* The problem with November is the Thanksgiving holiday (at least in the US) and midterms. I guess no month is perfect, though.

* Speaking of writing, what's the proper way to punctuate after an emoticon? Does the punctuation go before or after?

Whenever I use emoticons, I just don't use punctuation to end the sentence, and treat the emoticon as that. It's just what I do and everyone else I've seen does, but I'm not actually sure.

merrak

Now that Nanowrimo is over, did you finish, Merrak?

Yep 8)

Well, I hit 50,000 words. I still need to finish the draft.