Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Cleaning up game attributes

gcarne

In order to clean up, is it possible to list all game attributes that are not in use anywhere in the game?
Thanks.

designpeg

i don't think you can, but this is a great suggestion.

gcarne

well - it would take for ever to get rid of redundant attributes and make the game clean. Is not everyone creating attributes, testing, changing and ending up with old attributes that are no longer used?

designpeg

I occasionally use the show in behaviours action, and try and weed out the attributes no longer used, but I know there are probably loads that I created, then changed and they ended up unused.

it would be good to have a cleaner app, but more importantly, does anyone know if having more attributes has a noticeable impact on performance? is there such a thing as too many attributes?

LIBERADO

i don't think you can, but this is a great suggestion.
Yes, it is a great suggestion not only for game attributes, but also for local attributes.
I'm spanish, excuse me for my bad English.
I'm not a private teacher. Please, post your questions in the public forum.

Luyren

There is an option "Find in Behaviors" when you right click a block, and it shows all behaviors that have that block, be it a normal block, custom block, local or game attribute. You could just do that for your game attributes, and the ones that don't show in any behavior can probably be safely deleted. Shouldn't that work for what you need?
Working.

LIBERADO

@Luyren that option requires checking all the attributes one by one, and is not 100% reliable, doesn't work well, sometimes it doesn't detect that an attribute is being used.
The possibility of automatically removing all unused game/local attributes would be useful. Or, at least, when you are trying to delete any attribute (or disabling any extension), Stencyl should warn when such attribute or extension block is being used in some Event.

By the way, to solve the problem of ending up with too many created attributes, I am waiting for this feature announced by Justin to be implemented: http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,39134.msg220947.html#msg220947

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 08:12:30 am by LIBERADO »
I'm spanish, excuse me for my bad English.
I'm not a private teacher. Please, post your questions in the public forum.

designpeg

It would also be great if you could search behaviors for attributes by name created using the 'set actor value '  and get 'actor value '  blocks.

squeeb

Thought I saw on here where you can edit a file and change names of attributes.. then open stencyl and they updated

NickamonPoppytail

Thought I saw on here where you can edit a file and change names of attributes.. then open stencyl and they updated

Where did you find this?

squeeb

I'll have to dig around on here.. I saw it last week maybe..