Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

RETREO REDUX Xapper

JeffreyDriver

This was originally going to be part of my RETRO REDUX Compilation, but A) that project is large enough already and B) I thought that this might work well by itself.

I needed to step away from the compilation for a few weeks so that I could at it with a fresh pair of eyes.

It's a game of memory and concentration. A word is briefly displayed, then you must spell the word.

I'm interested to know people's thoughts, particularly regarding improvements, and in which direction to take it.

<a href="http://static.stencyl.com/games/37849-0.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://static.stencyl.com/games/37849-0.swf</a>

There's two game modes; Classic, where the game becomes increasingly difficult as the words gets longer, and Endurance where you pick a word length and just keep going until you run out of time.

One thing I'm considering is replacing the time with lives.

Majora64

I think it's an interesting concept and I can easily see this going several different ways but I think right now it's trying to do a little bit of everything and it's a bit much for me. I don't like how I have to wait for the next letter to pop up while the timer goes down- it seems unfair. I like the shooting mechanic but I don't think it pairs well with the rotating letters (probably because I think the letters are unfair to begin with while being timed). If you wanna keep the shooting mechanic I could easily see this turning into a puzzle-education game with mechanics similar to the "Puzzle Bobble" series (which I'm sure you've played). Perhaps using an engine like that and pairing it with a list that generates letters on each bobble that you can shoot and match with other letters would imo create a more engaging experience if that's the route you wanna go. I could see this being geared towards flash but could work on mobile but the controls wouldn't be as appropriate imo.

If you remove the shooting mechanic I could easily see random Letter actors (not every letter of the alphabet, some correct and some incorrect) being generated on screen every time a new word comes up and scattered messily on the screen but instead of shooting letters you have to tap all the letters in succession correctly in order. Perhaps a mistake could cost you the game or it could cost you time or a life.  I think this could be more suited towards mobile.

I like the time idea but instead of a countdown timer I think a meter that constantly decreases could do nicely. Something about looking at a countdown timer makes me feel like I'm in a rush, but a meter makes me feel like I can work towards keeping it filled. Depending on if you get a word correct or not will either cause the meter to increase or decrease or outright trigger a game over.

Wasn't crazy about the UI placement. Instead of directing me to choose a game mode I think it would be nice to drop me straight into the game (my first few times) and explain how the system works as I play through it. I notice alot of newer games do this and I think it's better to integrate the tutorial than to just read it(at least for me..). My first time playing I didn't understand the inner circle, how to shoot or how to move without guessing..

Hope this helps somewhat, I really enjoy the concept and will check in every often now! Good luck!