Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

A successful Idea!

cyrusrebello

I've come to share with you all my idea for the next big game on the internet

Stencyl is really underrated and how much it can actually achieve, yet only few times people have tested those capacityies

Just like how gamemaker became more popular when undertale released, i want to make a game which focuses on a story and mystery

How i'm going to do that is simple, platforming has become repetitive in games like this (Eg: Cave story) and has become a staple of indie games but i'm thinking a fast paced combat system would work better
It's achieveable in Stencyl and simple aswell

I'm an animator for 4 years so pixelated animations and assets are a cake walk for me, i'm just dying to tell a story filled with charm and lure, something to be experienced
Would any of you be interested in working with me?

Stencyl is simple, but does take a lot of time so if any if you are interested in making a creative game, please contact me

Together we could make something that could become iconic
and make people finally realize how capable stencyl really is

Let's create something imaginative and filled with creativity!

cyrusrebello

Everything Stencyl related really, as long as we work together nothing can stop us!

ceosol

I totally agree that Stencyl is underrated.

There are quite a few fast-paced combat platformers made in Stencyl. Other than the creative story, what will set yours apart?
Local multiplayer?
Online multiplayer?

1MrPaul1

aware of big projects from start.
I'm with stencyl  for many years already, and I started a big game 4 months ago, and till now, I don't know when I will finish it, already very tired, even bug fixes can take months, not telling about drawing art....
better try yourself on some small fast idea.
even better, break your current idea into 5-6 small mini games.
finish this games, than assemble this mini game in one big game and it will help you to make your big game faster.
You can say I have not time on small games, but anyway you will need to make this work, but you will have results, while if you will start "next big game in internet" you will finish with the "next dead  game in internet", in the cemetery of the games which was done by other developers who started  "successful ideas " but don't estimated their power

merrak

aware of big projects from start....

This is the usual (good) advice given to new Stencyl users, but I don't think we can assume the OP is new. (S)he may also be a long-time lurker. Art takes a long time and someone with years of experience could bring a lot to the table.

On the other hand, I don't think "Everything Stencyl related..." is a good answer to JeffreyDriver's question. It suggests a lack of a real plan to get the project done and a lack of a vision of how it's going to come together. If there is no plan because the game is in the very early stages of development then that's fine, but it'd be worth knowing that so it's easier for interested parties to assess whether or not they'd have something useful to contribute and feel confident their contributions will be put to good use.

My thoughts on this: Can you share some examples of your artwork? What about the story you want to tell--is it dark, comedy, etc.? Are you looking to build a large team or a small team? Paid or profit share? I realize you may have been planning to answer these questions by email, but I think sharing some basics publicly will help attract interest in the offer and also attract people who are more likely to share your vision.

NickamonPoppytail

Everything Stencyl related really, as long as we work together nothing can stop us!

Everything Stencyl related? It may be easier if you be more specific. Do you want programmers, artists, writers, etc.?

You should explain the kind of game you are making so that it's easier for us to understand what you're looking for.

cyrusrebello

aware of big projects from start....

This is the usual (good) advice given to new Stencyl users, but I don't think we can assume the OP is new. (S)he may also be a long-time lurker. Art takes a long time and someone with years of experience could bring a lot to the table.

On the other hand, I don't think "Everything Stencyl related..." is a good answer to JeffreyDriver's question. It suggests a lack of a real plan to get the project done and a lack of a vision of how it's going to come together. If there is no plan because the game is in the very early stages of development then that's fine, but it'd be worth knowing that so it's easier for interested parties to assess whether or not they'd have something useful to contribute and feel confident their contributions will be put to good use.

My thoughts on this: Can you share some examples of your artwork? What about the story you want to tell--is it dark, comedy, etc.? Are you looking to build a large team or a small team? Paid or profit share? I realize you may have been planning to answer these questions by email, but I think sharing some basics publicly will help attract interest in the offer and also attract people who are more likely to share your vision.

The reason I'm not being specific is because it's cruel to narrow down imagination
However,  I can confirm I'm fully experienced in asset or animation creation
My twitter is @Nightlyover you can find examples there in my media section as I don't publically share my creations on some random website

As for the project it's self, I think we both should decide on how and what it is we want to do
It should be simple of course, sometimes simple ideas blossom into the greatest ones and are giant successful, classically known products

If you're willing to, we both can make something fun by combining our interests with a compelling and creative story!
It's not going to be easy but it is achieveable with what Stencyl can offer

I feel as though responsible to let people see what stencyl can really do than just make ripped off platformers on the play store

Join me and we'll make something great yet so simple

cyrusrebello

Everything Stencyl related? It may be easier if you be more specific. Do you want programmers, artists, writers, etc.?

You should explain the kind of game you are making so that it's easier for us to understand what you're looking for.

Stencyl doesn't require much of the coding knowledge if you're aiming to make something really simple does it?
That's why I feel like it could really help if you could do anything in Stencyl specifically,

If we were to make a game together, we'd have to handle everything in the game it's self
There would be no specific speciality that we're both only fixed in doing

Things like out sourced assets for the game and music however, is out of stencyl's knowledge so I'm able to fully ensure you I can cover that easily :)

cyrusrebello

There are quite a few fast-paced combat platformers made in Stencyl. Other than the creative story, what will set yours apart?
Local multiplayer?
Online multiplayer?

That's a good question, what would you think could set us apart?
That's why it's always better to have people like you around who give the perfect questions which's answers would ultimately lead to success

NickamonPoppytail

Stencyl doesn't require much of the coding knowledge if you're aiming to make something really simple does it?
That's why I feel like it could really help if you could do anything in Stencyl specifically,

If we were to make a game together, we'd have to handle everything in the game it's self
There would be no specific speciality that we're both only fixed in doing

Things like out sourced assets for the game and music however, is out of stencyl's knowledge so I'm able to fully ensure you I can cover that easily :)

By anything in Stencyl, do you mean knowledge of EVERYTHING in Stencyl? And how many people are you looking to do this with you?

NickamonPoppytail

Local multiplayer?
Online multiplayer?

That's a good question, what would you think could set us apart?
That's why it's always better to have people like you around who give the perfect questions which's answers would ultimately lead to success

Well, what kind of genre of game are you looking to make? RPG, platformer, etc.? If we have a genre, then it would be easier to come up with what could be done to make a game different.

Also, think outside the box. For example, look at SunYatSen's This Game is Trash. If you think outside the box then you could impress people with what makes your game different.

JeffreyDriver

I'm interested in getting involved, depending on what time I can spare. However, my advice is to keep learning Stencyl, and start making small prototypes of things you'd like to include in your big project.

Get planning your big project on paper, but don't jump straight into making it.

I started a large project http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/35588 but the sheer enormity of the task (and doing everything myself) made me lose interest. Encountering bugs can be really disheartening.

And here's the thing, I know so much more about Stencyl now, that I did when I started that project. In fact, there's lots of things I would approach in a different way than I did originally.

NickamonPoppytail

I'm interested in getting involved, depending on what time I can spare. However, my advice is to keep learning Stencyl, and start making small prototypes of things you'd like to include in your big project.

Get planning your big project on paper, but don't jump straight into making it.

I started a large project http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/35588 but the sheer enormity of the task (and doing everything myself) made me lose interest. Encountering bugs can be really disheartening.

And here's the thing, I know so much more about Stencyl now, that I did when I started that project. In fact, there's lots of things I would approach in a different way than I did originally.

You are right, new Stencyl users should start simple (same with pretty much any software other than Microsoft Word).

merrak

The reason I'm not being specific is because it's cruel to narrow down imagination
However,  I can confirm I'm fully experienced in asset or animation creation
My twitter is @Nightlyover you can find examples there in my media section as I don't publically share my creations on some random website
It should be simple of course, sometimes simple ideas blossom into the greatest ones and are giant successful, classically known products

Good points on #1 and #2 (above). I think I see what you're going for. You have some neat examples in the Twitter page. I can't say I'm interested because I have too many other things going on right now, but good luck to you and your future team!

I feel as though responsible to let people see what stencyl can really do than just make ripped off platformers on the play store

The Stencyl team has been making a better effort to showcase good creations since launching the Twitter hashtag, promoting devs on the Facebook page, etc. But it'd be neat to see more long-term projects and outside-of-the-box projects. If you're going to push Stencyl's bounds, though, you really need to have good programming skills, or get a good programmer on your team. Good examples of people pushing boundaries or working on large-scale projects include Ceosol (Jacbil Gobbet, heavy use of image manipulation), Bombini (Space Pirate, complex action RPG), mdotedot (Away3D Extension), fillergames (Non-Named, made-from-scratch RPG engine), and others. Check out their devlogs if you're inclined just to see what unique challenges they faced. Might give you (and future teammates) some ideas to consider when shaping your own project.