Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Testing in Flash results in black screen of death

mantanz

Hi everyone,

I've just made the jump from Unity after much researching about which 2D engine would suit my needs . So far I'm loving Stencyl but I have hit one problem. It's more than likely something I've done but when I test or compile for Flash I just get a black screen. Game works fine in HTML5. It's literally just a sprite on screen at the mo.

Are there any resolution limitations etc? This game is very low fi with a resolution of 192x108. I have tried with higher resolutions afterwards and didn't help.  Initially Flash did work but it has just stopped...

Anyway Flash doesn't bother me too much as I will be purchasing the full version so I can spit out an exe but it would be nice to know what's causing this.

Cheers!

« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 03:27:59 pm by mantanz »

LIBERADO

Click on: Run > Clean Project
I'm spanish, excuse me for my bad English.
I'm not a private teacher. Please, post your questions in the public forum.

mantanz

Click on: Run > Clean Project

Oh thanks. Will try that tonight :)

mantanz

Hmmm, nope... cleaning it doesn't work (though I feel a bit silly that I didn't try that in the first instance). A loading bar comes up for a split second then it just goes black... I'm at a loss.

EDIT: I just created a new project and it works! I have no idea what I did but it must have been my fault. LOL

fillergames

Just to note: You don't need the paid version to test an EXE game. It'll have a trial-mode watermark in the top-left if you don't.

I typically test both game formats to see if everything runs correctly on both ends.

merrak

I don't remember if testing the game with Flash will allow you to use the Log Viewer to see output, but if not then try testing on desktop and watching the Log Viewer for any warnings or errors. If you already tried that then did you see anything unusual?

mantanz

Just to note: You don't need the paid version to test an EXE game. It'll have a trial-mode watermark in the top-left if you don't.

I typically test both game formats to see if everything runs correctly on both ends.
Yeah I just worked that out tonight! Haha.

I don't remember if testing the game with Flash will allow you to use the Log Viewer to see output, but if not then try testing on desktop and watching the Log Viewer for any warnings or errors. If you already tried that then did you see anything unusual?
Yeah no errors. But new project works fine so I must have done something odd...

Shayaan

I was having the same problem that made me to start the same project all over again!
Let me know if you get a solution.

mantanz

I was having the same problem that made me to start the same project all over again!
Let me know if you get a solution.

Sadly my solution was to start a new project. Luckily I was just messing about and testing stuff so I didn't lose any work.

Shayaan

Today, when I was checking the game for problems, I noticed that my game is playing sounds when its tested. Its just not showing anything on screen. Wonder what's the problem.