App published to app store but won't open for someone with iPhone 6 plus

nicktendowii

My game has gone live today and it's doing really well. someone just contacted me on twitter though and said they bought the game for their iphone 6 plus and the game just loads to a black screen and crashes. any idea why this might be? it ran fine on the simulator and with testers. I know people have ran it on the iphone 6 with no problems. If there isn't anything i can do is there a way for them to get a refund?

nicktendowii

Someone else with an ipad air also can't load the game. It's important that I can fix this as people ahve paid money to download it now. If anyone knows anything about issues with older devices please let me know asap!

Thanks.

merrak

Are they running low on RAM?

nicktendowii

Are they running low on RAM?
Don’t think so as it’s running fine on an iPhone 5s, 5c and 6 and the 6 plus has more ram than those? I think iPad Air has the same as iPhone 6?

designpeg

Hi, did you upload to the app via xcode? If you did you can view crash reports in the organiser window. Anything else is going to be guesswork on here.

Not sure if you can view crash reports in Xcode if you used the application loader to upload the package generated by Stencyl, i've not done that before.

iii

Looking at gsmarena site,
iPhone 5s, 5c, 6, and 6 plus,
all of them only have 1GB of RAM.

But, 6 and 6 plus, have a bigger resolution. With 6 plus having the biggest one.
Because of that, I got a feeling you are left will less RAM than 5s and 5c to use for your game.

Have you tried limiting your memory usage per scene using Atlases?
Alternatively, try removing the 4x scale (if you are using them).
Just let the 6 plus to load the 3x assets, instead of 4x.
You can barely notice the difference between 3x and 4x playing it on iPhone/iPad.

designpeg

iii is probably right, IOS devices don't have separate VRAM, it's shared with and general device memory.

nicktendowii

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll try reducing the memory usage. I’m only using X2 scale though I think as the game is all pixel art so no need for higher res. Will let you know if I manage to get it working :)