Hunger Roll

ViniciusAlves

Hi guys. I've just published my very first game. It is called Hunger Roll.
Your goal is to balance your way out through different levels by collecting 3 food items.

There are 50 different levels and 3 different animals with different quirks.
I intend to release it on mobile someday, but I though publishing it on flash would give me some valuable feedback.  So please play it, rate it, and give me some feedback.

Hunger Roll: https://www.kongregate.com/games/Vinicius_AM/hunger-roll

decafpanda

Looks cool. Just gave you a 5.  I don't have time to play it now though.  You have a 3.2 rating now.  A couple more 5 star ratings and you might make the front page, top games of the month column.

Edit:  Just played for a little.  A very fun game :)  The aspect ratio looks portrait.  Is this coming to mobile?

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 06:14:22 am by decafpanda »

ViniciusAlves

Looks cool. Just gave you a 5.  I don't have time to play it now though.  You have a 3.2 rating now.  A couple more 5 star ratings and you might make the front page, top games of the month column.

Edit:  Just played for a little.  A very fun game :)  The aspect ratio looks portrait.  Is this coming to mobile?

Yes! I designed it for mobile. I posted it on Kongregate in order to get some feedback and (with a lot of luck!) get some prize to pay for the mobile licenses.

decafpanda

It has a good chance at some exposure.  The top games of the month column is wide open right now with the last spot sitting on a 3.1.  Usually those spots do not go lower than 3.4.  I don't know their exact algorithms but as long as you hold or improve your rating, you should get on there at some point.

Good Luck!

domagojbulat

I like the mechanics, it is fun to play! The art is also very nice. It took me some time to get used to the control though. Pressing right to raise the bar moves characters to the left so it is a bit confusing to me. I would like it better if pressing would lower the side of the bar instead of raising it. Also if possible, it would be nice if you could tilt the bar while moving it up or down.
I played it on Kong and rated all stars. Keep up the good work!

decafpanda

I agree with Domo.  Giving the player the option to swap the controls would be nice.  Also, a little tip for getting ratings.  You can get anyone you know to rate your game on their phone if they have a Facebook account.

You will normally go to the mobile version of Kong when you first go there on a phone.  Scroll down to the bottom and tap "view full site"

Then on the top of the page tap, the blue "sign in with Facebook" option.  Most people are already logged into Facebook on their phones and won't even have to type in their password.  If not, they will have to type in their Facebook  password.

Once they are in, they are free to rate your game.  While they are there, why not have them like and share your game too, as well as write a short, positive comment

It's easier than you think.  You can do everything for them, you just need their phone.  Think about how much 5, 10, 15, 20....ect  5-star ratings could help you right now.

These things go a long way towards exposure.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 05:13:42 am by decafpanda »

ViniciusAlves

I like the mechanics, it is fun to play! The art is also very nice. It took me some time to get used to the control though. Pressing right to raise the bar moves characters to the left so it is a bit confusing to me. I would like it better if pressing would lower the side of the bar instead of raising it. Also if possible, it would be nice if you could tilt the bar while moving it up or down.
I played it on Kong and rated all stars. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the feedback.  It is my first attempt at Pixelart as well, so it feels good to read that.
Regarding the bar tilting, it isn't the first time I heard that, but at first I thought it was one of those "inverted axis" case, where each player would have a different opinion, but now I see that it must be more natural the other way around for other players.
It is the first time I heard about the simultaneous movement though. Fixed both of them. Thanks a lot!

I agree with Domo.  Giving the player the option to swap the controls would be nice.  Also, a little tip for getting ratings.  You can get anyone you know to rate your game on their phone if they have a Facebook account.

You will normally go to the mobile version of Kong when you first go there on a phone.  Scroll down to the bottom and tap "view full site"

Then on the top of the page tap, the blue "sign in with Facebook" option.  Most people are already logged into Facebook on their phones and won't even have to type in their password.  If not, they will have to type in their Facebook  password.

Once they are in, they are free to rate your game.  While they are there, why not have them like and share your game too, as well as write a short, positive comment

It's easier than you think.  You can do everything for them, you just need their phone.  Think about how much 5, 10, 15, 20....ect  5-star ratings could help you right now.

These things go a long way towards exposure.

Thanks for the heads-up. Unfortunately I don't have Facebook, so I wouldn't have any contacts. I might create an account later on, just like I did with Twitter so I could use the hashtags over there.

domagojbulat

Wow, that was a really quick fix up! It was much easier for me to play at this environment. After elephant's lvl 17, I couldn't press next level but had to return to the main menu. Also, since you created a  leaderboard, it is crucial that you display the score within the game itself. It is really important for players to get feedback from the game all the time so they understand how they are affecting it.

ViniciusAlves

Wow, that was a really quick fix up! It was much easier for me to play at this environment. After elephant's lvl 17, I couldn't press next level but had to return to the main menu. Also, since you created a  leaderboard, it is crucial that you display the score within the game itself. It is really important for players to get feedback from the game all the time so they understand how they are affecting it.

Thanks for finding that bug. I've fixed it and I also added a space for your best time to be shown at the Animal Selection screen, but because this wasn't in the game before, you would have to beat the levels again for it to show up. Your feedback has been incredibly useful! Thanks again :)

NickamonPoppytail

I've just started playing the game and I'm not sure if this is a bug or not but the pig can sometimes pass through the wooden beam in Level 5 and either fall to the bottom of the level or get stuck on the crates. However with the crates I can just move the wooden beam back through the pig again to regain control over it.

Edit: This happened again after hitting a spring in Level 14.

Another Edit: Clicking on the "Main Menu" button resets my progress. Is there a level select somewhere?

Another Edit: Unlocked the Monkey and it goes through the pole as well in Level 5.

Edit #4: Still on Level 5, but this time the Monkey got stuck in the first platform. When he jumps, he goes straight through to the end of the platform and falls through the edge of the scene.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 04:27:04 pm by NickamonPoppytail »
Currently developing Poppytail 5, Pixeltail and The Poppytales.

Email: nick.rosemarygames.poppytail@gmail.com

;)

ViniciusAlves

I've just started playing the game and I'm not sure if this is a bug or not but the pig can sometimes pass through the wooden beam in Level 5 and either fall to the bottom of the level or get stuck on the crates. However with the crates I can just move the wooden beam back through the pig again to regain control over it.

Edit: This happened again after hitting a spring in Level 14.

Another Edit: Clicking on the "Main Menu" button resets my progress. Is there a level select somewhere?

Another Edit: Unlocked the Monkey and it goes through the pole as well in Level 5.

Edit #4: Still on Level 5, but this time the Monkey got stuck in the first platform. When he jumps, he goes straight through to the end of the platform and falls through the edge of the scene.

Hey. Thanks for playing!
The "dropping the animal" thing is common and I even mention it in the instructions. That's way the game restarts if you drop it to the bottom of the game, but it doesn't if it's in a place where you can pick it up again.
Thanks for finding the monkey bug. I couldn't replicate the bug, but I tried to tighten up the collision boxes.
I decided not to have a level select because the game's scoreboard is based on runs. The game saves when you complete a run with an animal (Pig = 16 levels, Monkey and Elephant = 17 levels each).
I've also added a mute/unmute button.

domagojbulat

You have got quite a nice rating now and I believe you will easily win some reward in Kong competition for January! Great job, well deserved!!

« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 07:37:42 am by domagojbulat »

ViniciusAlves

You have got quite a nice rating now and I believe you will easily win some reward in Kong competition for January! Great job, well deserved!!

Thanks! I've got to 3.5 at some point and I was really bummed when it got down afterwards. :P I find myself constantly checking the comments, so that's something I have to avoid from now on  :D

JeffreyDriver

Played and rated. Good job. It took me a little while to get used to the controls, but when I did, it was a fun game.

Here's a few comments:

1. Add some more visual effects for events such as collecting corn etc.
2. The UI needs a little polish to make the UI graphics tie in better with the rest of the graphics
3.  I'd like to know how many levels there are. It shows which level I'm currently on, but I don't know how I'm progressing
4. When I navigated back to the main menu I had to restart from level 1
5. It's fun to play and the difficulty seems to ramp up well
6. I think the timer should be centered and more prominent. Maybe add some sort of warning when your time reaches 10 seconds
7. The music and sound effects are good and I like the graphics
8. Let me navigate the menu using the keyboard. Particularly the level success and fail screens so I don't have to keep going to the mouse. My hand is already on the keyboard so let me press up or something to continue/retry
Current Projects:
Retro Redux Compilation (NEW).
Retro Redux (untitled) (NEW).
I always appreciate useful feedback. Thank you.
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

merrak

Once I got used to the controls, the game was pretty fun. Controls still seem a little odd, though, but I can't think of a better alternative, either. Keyboard navigation would be very useful. It's annoying having to switch between mouse and keyboard. Or... maybe some kind of mouse navigation would be possible.