AuroSword

RosalinaGalaxer

I think it's also important to consider the background and which one works better against it.
Yeah, good point. I should probably make some rough drafts of the first area at some point soon.

wow! pretty neat.. lots of character out of such few pixels! i am also starting a top down game.. ill go with more snes pallet and pixel art.. if i can
Thanks! Even if this doesn't get anywhere, it's still cool to know I can inspire things in others with my crap.

Also, I gave her a little stripe/strap thing on her right leg to try and combat the leg issue:
Kewl, a second page...
W̸͚̯̒͗̊̂͗̃ë̴͙̻̣̠͂́͑͘̕̚ỉ̶̱͚̤͕͍̮͛͂̇r̶̲̣̜̳͐̇͋͘d̸͈͎͓̙̔͜ ̵̠̫̜͋̄̔͘͜ǵ̷̯͍̽̍̉͐̽̈́l̶̡̛͎̬̮̮̬̠͌͊̓̇͘i̶̡̻̰̖͕̘̎͊̚t̶̬̬̤̣͌̆͌͐̔̇̀c̷̙̳̙͈̖̀̈̎̋͑̉͜͝h̴̫̀̏͜͝e̷̝͑̊̍͘s̷̥̰̙̠̺̫̆ ̷͈̯̝͘ͅe̸͍̣͇͙͕̖͗̉̓̃̓͌͝v̶͕͕̰̘̙̫͒̑e̷̞̤͍͔͐̽͌̓r̷̨̺̲͊̋͘͝͝y̸̛̱͂̚ẇ̴̨̯̤̠̱̭̣̈̍̓h̶̨̤͎̞͛͋ę̴̻̪̝̙̬̒͜r̵̗̟̼͋ĕ̴̙̬͐͌!̵̱̠̉

“I have never seen a more heated discussion about context, jazz, and cats.” - VanillaButterz

merrak

Also, I gave her a little stripe/strap thing on her right leg to try and combat the leg issue:

I think that helps. I've had to redesign my characters a lot because of these kinds of issues.

Kewl, a second page...

Now well on your way toward that third!

RosalinaGalaxer

Small, but important update.

I made a (very drafty) draft of the first room:
I haven't worked on the flooring yet, and I'm not too happy with the walls. I like how the light cast turned out, though.

I also figured out the screen size, 1200 x 675. Sadly, this doesn't divide by any good tile size, so tiles are out of the question. But oh well. I guess each room can be less... constricted that way?
W̸͚̯̒͗̊̂͗̃ë̴͙̻̣̠͂́͑͘̕̚ỉ̶̱͚̤͕͍̮͛͂̇r̶̲̣̜̳͐̇͋͘d̸͈͎͓̙̔͜ ̵̠̫̜͋̄̔͘͜ǵ̷̯͍̽̍̉͐̽̈́l̶̡̛͎̬̮̮̬̠͌͊̓̇͘i̶̡̻̰̖͕̘̎͊̚t̶̬̬̤̣͌̆͌͐̔̇̀c̷̙̳̙͈̖̀̈̎̋͑̉͜͝h̴̫̀̏͜͝e̷̝͑̊̍͘s̷̥̰̙̠̺̫̆ ̷͈̯̝͘ͅe̸͍̣͇͙͕̖͗̉̓̃̓͌͝v̶͕͕̰̘̙̫͒̑e̷̞̤͍͔͐̽͌̓r̷̨̺̲͊̋͘͝͝y̸̛̱͂̚ẇ̴̨̯̤̠̱̭̣̈̍̓h̶̨̤͎̞͛͋ę̴̻̪̝̙̬̒͜r̵̗̟̼͋ĕ̴̙̬͐͌!̵̱̠̉

“I have never seen a more heated discussion about context, jazz, and cats.” - VanillaButterz

squeeb

wow! pretty neat.. lots of character out of such few pixels! i am also starting a top down game.. ill go with more snes pallet and pixel art.. if i can
Interesting!
Ill post an update soon on my game.. snese pallet.. and i meant LOZ snes as the pixel art.

I do like where this game is going.. keep it up!

merrak

I also figured out the screen size, 1200 x 675. Sadly, this doesn't divide by any good tile size, so tiles are out of the question. But oh well. I guess each room can be less... constricted that way?

Looking good so far. I don't think it's so important that the tiles be square. For example, I think the Exile series games used 28 x 36.

I took a look at some of your frames and it looks like you could fit your character in a tile that is 75px tall and 60px width and have a small margin on all four sides. That'd give you 20 tiles across and 9 in height. A 4:3 w/h ratio, like 80px by 60px, would be easier to scale, though.

NickamonPoppytail

So does this mean you used Image API to make that room, or was this made before you applied the new screen size?
Currently developing Poppytail 5, Pixeltail and The Poppytales.

Email: nick.rosemarygames.poppytail@gmail.com

;)

RosalinaGalaxer

I do like where this game is going.. keep it up!
Thanks! You have no idea how much that means to me.

Looking good so far. I don't think it's so important that the tiles be square. For example, I think the Exile series games used 28 x 36.

I took a look at some of your frames and it looks like you could fit your character in a tile that is 75px tall and 60px width and have a small margin on all four sides. That'd give you 20 tiles across and 9 in height. A 4:3 w/h ratio, like 80px by 60px, would be easier to scale, though.
True, didn't think of that. I'll give it a shot. Probably using 75x60 though, because I generally make my sprites at a single pixel scale, then scale them up by 2 or 3 or 4. So far, my character (I should probably get a name for her.) is scaled up by 3, so 75x60 works great.

So does this mean you used Image API to make that room, or was this made before you applied the new screen size?
Pfff, me? Using the Image API?

But seriously, I don't have a clue how the Image API works. I'd like to, because it's apparently really useful, but I haven't got a clue what it does. I also haven't anything in Stencyl; (minus start a blank game with the correct screen size) right now I'm just getting some art together.

RosalinaGalaxer

True, didn't think of that. I'll give it a shot. Probably using 75x60 though, because I generally make my sprites at a single pixel scale, then scale them up by 2 or 3 or 4. So far, my character (I should probably get a name for her.) is scaled up by 3, so 75x60 works great.
Wait! I'm an idiot: 75x75! That divides perfectly. I lose four tiles, but IMO squares are easier to design with, especially the way I'm going.

RosalinaGalaxer

(Changed my mind, going with 75x60 tiles.)

I put together the first room with tiles. It's not completely done yet, (No lighting, throne, etc.) but I wanted to get your opinion on the floor tiles, cause stuff like that can be a pain to the eye sometimes.

Don't know what's up with the lines through the tiles, that happens when I zoom out in Stencyl. I tried to get a screenshot of the room in-game, but it just showed up as a black screen, so...

merrak

I like the color scheme better than in the original screenshot. I wonder how it looks against the window light, though.

You can get a screenshot with the camera icon and then resize it in GIMP/Photoshop/etc. Maybe the black screen is a problem with Windows and your video card? Not sure if I'm remembering that right, but I thought someone else had the same problem. If you do a little scouting around on the forum you might find a resolution.

NickamonPoppytail

I tried to get a screenshot of the room in-game, but it just showed up as a black screen, so...

Same here. Literally every single game I've made that I've tried to get a screenshot of has given me this.

(Changed my mind, going with 75x60 tiles.)

I put together the first room with tiles. It's not completely done yet, (No lighting, throne, etc.) but I wanted to get your opinion on the floor tiles, cause stuff like that can be a pain to the eye sometimes.

The floor tiles aren't a pain to the eye, don't worry.
Currently developing Poppytail 5, Pixeltail and The Poppytales.

Email: nick.rosemarygames.poppytail@gmail.com

;)

RosalinaGalaxer

Literally every single game I've made that I've tried to get a screenshot of has given me this.
Huh, weird...
The floor tiles aren't a pain to the eye, don't worry.
That's good to know. I feel like I worry too much about this game. And it's hardly even started...
You can get a screenshot with the camera icon...
Would that just get me the build area? Cause that would be sweet.

merrak

Would that just get me the build area? Cause that would be sweet.

Yes. It will cut out all of the interface for you. Same goes for using this button to get a screenshot of code, etc.

RosalinaGalaxer

Pfuuuhmaloostic...

(Please ignore the above statement and continue reading.)

I think I'm gonna put this project on hold and start a different, less artistically involved game. I might come back to this at some point in the future, but right now I'm suffering from major artist's block. Probably because I'm not an artist... I want to make this, I just can't do art right now.

I just...

Art sucks.

Not really that art itself sucks, but the process of making it sucks. For me at least. And it's really discouraging seeing all the other amazing games that come out. For instance, Rain World or Ghost Song (all hail twotimingpete).

Yeah, I'm just kinda feeling depressed right now. I'll probably start another game sometime soon, but it'll be much less artistic than this.

Anyways, you guys are great. See in the next game.

JeffreyDriver

Don't give up! I think that we've all had that feeling at some point where a project has overwhelmed us. I know that I have. I had a project that I thought was going to be great (and it has the potential to be) but I was just taking on too much, too soon.

Don't get disheartened; you'll come back with something even better. But sometimes you just need to take a step back and work on something else for a while. Walking away for some time is a good thing because when you return, you look at it a different way.

You say that your art sucks, but what I've seen so far looks good.
I currently have a side project which I actually think may be better than my main project!

Can I ask where you think that your strengths are?

« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 05:55:31 pm by JeffreyDriver »
Current Projects:
Retro Redux Compilation (NEW).
Retro Redux (untitled) (NEW).
I always appreciate useful feedback. Thank you.
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk