Anyone with UE experience? Should I continue?

Captain Stoudt

So, I just started using Stencyl after finding 2d support on Unreal Engine 4 is lack luster. That being said, I have run into multiple issues creating simple things (such as menus, buttons, and character movements). I was thinking Stencyl would be my answer to needing a program with better 2D support, but the way UE runs is so much more user friendly and smoother. I'm wondering if I should continue my work with Stencyl or go back to UE. With the amount of hours I've put into my work on here, I feel I could have accomplished so much more in UE. Does anyone here have experience creating 2D games in UE? I'd like some pros and cons of using Stencyl vs UE if anyone has any advice. I'm not trying to down Stencyl as I think it's a great program, but it just seems to take 3x as much work to create the same things I could have created in UE.

merrak

If I were transitioning to any new engine, it'd probably take me 3x as much work just because I have to relearn some things, change habits, etc. In UE4 you probably know how to identify common issues and resolve them, where as you just started using Stencyl. If I were transitioning from Stencyl to UE4, I'd have the same issues (but reversed)

JeffreyDriver

I have to agree with  merrak; now I'm familiar with Stencyl I can knock things together so much quicker than I could when I first started.

Also, I find that I don't have to test small things as much anymore because I know they'll work, so I'm not testing every five minutes.
Current Projects:
Retro Redux Compilation (NEW).
Retro Redux (untitled) (NEW).
I always appreciate useful feedback. Thank you.
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

ceosol

I am teaching UE4 this semester. It sounds like you began with starter content enabled for paper 2D. I can say from experience that Stencyl is 10x easier starting from scratch. Obviously, beginning a new project with starter content enabled makes "creating" movement much simpler for UE4 because all you do is press play and the character is moveable.

You can download a movement extension/behavior in stencyl if you want to have things premade for you. If you actually want to learn how to set up 2D from scratch, Stencyl is the way to go.

Captain Stoudt

Yea, I went back on UE and played around with it some more and the 2D support for UE just really isn't there. I'll just have to work more to get used to Stencyl. And no, I didn't start creating my game in UE with Starter Content. There isn't any 2D starter content to begin with (not that I've seen). I mean, I had gone so far as to create a full HUD with health and action buttons/custom joysticks before so...

ceosol

HUD creation is also easier in Stencyl. There isn't a separate place to do HUD work like unreal has. You can create all of the stencyl HUD elements within the same behaviors as your regular gameplay coding.