Shift & Backspace When Typing in Name

NickamonPoppytail

Hello,

I’m creating a scene where the player can name their character, but how do I get the backspace and shift keys to work?

I have currently got an “Any Key” event and have got “key code = key code of <whatever> key” in, but how do I get these keys to carry out their regular function?

Thank you!
I’m the guy who made the Poppytail series, The World of Elecreatures and Century Game.

Email: nick.rosemarygames.poppytail@gmail.com

;)

merrak

You have to strip out the last character from the input string when the backspace key is struck. I attached an example I wrote, but mine is a bit more complex than is necessary (because I also have a cursor the user can move with the mouse and left/right arrows). It should illustrate the basic idea using the text manipulation blocks, though.

NickamonPoppytail

You have to strip out the last character from the input string when the backspace key is struck. I attached an example I wrote, but mine is a bit more complex than is necessary (because I also have a cursor the user can move with the mouse and left/right arrows). It should illustrate the basic idea using the text manipulation blocks, though.

I have a game attribute "Name" and a number attribute "Character Count".

My code is "set Name to part of Name (start: ? end: Character Count - 1)". What should I put in the place of the question mark?
I’m the guy who made the Poppytail series, The World of Elecreatures and Century Game.

;)

NickamonPoppytail

Just looked up the "part of text" block in the Blocks Guide and I think I have the backspace key working now, but what about the shift key?

;)

NickamonPoppytail

Just looked up the "part of text" block in the Blocks Guide and I think I have the backspace key working now, but what about the shift key?

Never mind. Shift key works automatically.

;)

merrak

My code is "set Name to part of Name (start: ? end: Character Count - 1)". What should I put in the place of the question mark?

If you want to remove the last character in the string, put 0 in for the start and "length of text" - 1 for the end. The 'character count' attribute is needed for the cursor... but if you don't have a cursor then don't worry about keeping a character count.

NickamonPoppytail

If you want to remove the last character in the string, put 0 in for the start and "length of text" - 1 for the end. The 'character count' attribute is needed for the cursor... but if you don't have a cursor then don't worry about keeping a character count.

Thank you. I just figured that out.

;)