Kongregate's algorythm

ViniciusAlves

Hi guys. Does anybody know how Kongregate selects their front-page games? I imagine the "Top New Games this month" is frozen until the next contest winners are announced, but the Hot New Games right now has a game from December with 2.9 rating, while my game is from January and has 3.1 rating (https://www.kongregate.com/games/Vinicius_AM/hunger-roll)
Does the view count weigh more than the ratings?

decafpanda

Like I said before, I am not sure how they work but I think you definitely need more views and ratings first.  I'm actually surprised you have not gotten many views since I played.  You probably need around 500 views and the normal amount of ratings that go with that number.

ViniciusAlves

Like I said before, I am not sure how they work but I think you definitely need more views and ratings first.  I'm actually surprised you have not gotten many views since I played.  You probably need around 500 views and the normal amount of ratings that go with that number.

I see. I understand it is hard to get more plays without exposure in all digital game stores, but other portals seem to rotate the front page a little bit more frequently though. What bothers me is not even the contest thing, but I was hoping to get more feedback on what could be improved. Showing the game to my friends is not even close to the amount of feedback I would get from having hundreds of plays.  :-\

decafpanda

It is really hard to get exposure on Kong without an idle tag or knowing someone that works there.  They LOVE their idle games at Kong.  Why not release on Newgrounds?

I feel Newgrounds handles new games the best.  They give all new games decent exposure.  If the game has over a 3.3 star rating after judgment you will probably get a daily medal, which will put you on the front page for a day.  If the rating improves you will probably be front paged.

At that point you could contact Kong yourself and be like "hey check out my game on Newgrounds, it's doing pretty well"  They might throw you a FP spot, or at least bump you to the top of the month column even if you do not meet the requirements.

Word of warning though, Kong players are extremely critical and can be really harsh

ViniciusAlves

It is really hard to get exposure on Kong without an idle tag or knowing someone that works there.  They LOVE their idle games at Kong.  Why not release on Newgrounds?

I feel Newgrounds handles new games the best.  They give all new games decent exposure.  If the game has over a 3.3 star rating after judgment you will probably get a daily medal, which will put you on the front page for a day.  If the rating improves you will probably be front paged.

At that point you could contact Kong yourself and be like "hey check out my game on Newgrounds, it's doing pretty well"  They might throw you a FP spot, or at least bump you to the top of the month column even if you do not meet the requirements.

Word of warning though, Kong players are extremely critical and can be really harsh

Thanks for the advice! I'm too busy this month, but next month I'll try to polish some things and I'll try Newgrounds. :)