RETRO REDUX (Untitled)

JeffreyDriver

A game inspired by games such as Manic Miner and Dynamite Dan.

Still a work in progress, but some of the basics are there. The game isn't complete, but it's very, very close. It's just a case of continuing to test and tweak, and making minor improvements. Once I've got rid of any bugs and made it the best I think I can, I'll implement the endless mode.

Also up on Newgrounds to get feedback

The goal is a simple one; collect all the nuclear rods and then head to the exit.

<a href="http://static.stencyl.com/games/38286-0.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://static.stencyl.com/games/38286-0.swf</a>

CONTROLS
AWD or Arrows

Z to toggle map
X to save/pause

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 04:47:00 am by JeffreyDriver »
Current Projects:
Retro Redux Compilation (NEW).
Retro Redux (untitled) (NEW).
I always appreciate useful feedback. Thank you.
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

mdotedot

Awesome!

I've not played all of them but most rooms feel fluent on the controllers. Great work.

Sometimes I respawn 'at the beginning' of a room sometimes on other positions which is fine, but a little weird since one time it skipped over a challenge.

' work in progress ' and you already seem to have 100 rooms working. Isn't that enough?!
Are you planning on mobile release?

Hanging out in the Chat:  http://www.stencyl.com/chat/

Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

JeffreyDriver

Thanks for the feedback. I don't suppose you can remember in which room you 'skipped'?

I may increase it to 150 rooms and implement teleporters at certain locations. At any rate I need to replace the placeholder graphics, introduce some new enemies and introduce some eye-candy.

Yes, I'm planning on releasing this for mobile.
Current Projects:
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

Bombini

Has a bit of an Impossible Mission vibe :)
Please expand on it!

JeffreyDriver

Has a bit of an Impossible Mission vibe :)
Please expand on it!

I didn't know of that game, but I've checked it out and can see what you mean. Thanks.
Current Projects:
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

mdotedot

I don't suppose you can remember in which room you 'skipped'?

Sorry I couldn't reproduce it after playing for two hours :D .. it respawns at the spot where the room was entered as far as I can see.

Hanging out in the Chat:  http://www.stencyl.com/chat/

Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

JeffreyDriver

I don't suppose you can remember in which room you 'skipped'?

Sorry I couldn't reproduce it after playing for two hours :D .. it respawns at the spot where the room was entered as far as I can see.

No worries. Thanks again!
Current Projects:
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

JeffreyDriver

UPDATES:

There's now 150 rooms. Rooms arranged in a grid 10 x 15.

500 items to collect.

Teleporters added. TELEPORTERS MUST BE ACTIVATED BY FIRST WALKING INTO THEM. They will then be available to navigate to from any other teleporter.

Movement tweaked.

I've attached the current map. (It doesn't show platforms and enemies)
Current Projects:
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

merrak

I really enjoyed the demo. The rooms provided the right amount of challenge and I liked the wide variety in them. Great work so far!

On the other hand, I feel 150 rooms may be too many. One thing I don't like about these kinds of games is when they have too much of a maze to the level design, with a lot of backtracking. For example: on the long drop in the upper right, what if I missed one of the rods? That would be extremely frustrating to have to find my way back to the top again.

JeffreyDriver

Thanks for your feedback merrak. I wanted the game to feel like an epic journey, and I do agree with you about the backtracking, that's why I've added the teleporters. I may add more though, and increase the number of routes between rooms if people are getting frustrated by the layout.

As for that long drop, I've made sure that the collision shapes for the rods are large enough so that you can't miss them.

Thanks again.
Current Projects:
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

Ephoria

I like the idea. many areas to explore which for me is the main point of the game.
I was wondering if a kind of navigation map will be available in the final version ?

Btw, I think the colors attack a little bit when a playing during a long time, it goes in all directions !

Great work !  ;D

Follow me on twiter : https://twitter.com/_Ephoria

JeffreyDriver

Thanks for your comments. I was working on a map system last night. Press Z to open/close the map. It shows your location (yellow), the teleports (magenta) and the nuclear rods (green).

The colours are taken directly from the Sinclair ZX colour pallette. It's what we had to put up with in the 1980's! But I've taken your comment on board.
Current Projects:
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

Ephoria

I have find a little bug. When we switch fastly on the map 65 -> 64 -> 65 some block are tenfold.

I love the mini map, she is super helpful !  :D

Follow me on twiter : https://twitter.com/_Ephoria

JeffreyDriver

I have find a little bug. When we switch fastly on the map 65 -> 64 -> 65 some block are tenfold.

I love the mini map, she is super helpful !  :D

Thanks for the report. It should be fixed in the next update. It was due to the way actors are killed and created as the camera moves around.
Current Projects:
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

CmdrWhitey13

It was due to the way actors are killed and created as the camera moves around.
What if the actors were paused and resumed once on screen again?
You could use the actor on screen to reactivate them, rather than destroying them.