My top-down-shooter 'Digibots' released on itch.io!

Shayaan

So my first complete Stencyl game 'Digibots' is finally released now! ;D It took me about a year to make this game. I was about to release it at the end of June or July '17, but it took me a solid 8 months more to complete it. There were a lot of new challenges that I didn't even had an idea of, at one point I even had to remake the game all over again because of an unknown reason it wasn't loading on Flash (I was testing it all the way in HTML5 :P ). But, thank God, I released it yesterday.

So it's a top-down-shooter game. Set in the era of Digital Warfare. You basically have these "Digibots" which have the ability to hack computers or break into networks.

It's a short game , it takes around 10 minutes to complete it (more if we count the retries). And it have a really meaningful story, but I'm not sure if I was able to convey it properly.

Take a look at it and please let me know what you guys think about it. There's a demo version (single level) and a paid version (all three levels -$1).

https://shayaankhan.itch.io/digibots

Peace to all  8)

ceosol

Congrats! It is a huge accomplishment to publish a game. I hope it does well.

Bombini

Congrats"
Two thoughts:
  • The launcher seems to be a bit overpowered
  • I wish you would zoom out a bit. I had difficulties seeing the enemy for example in the level after the first story segment

Cheers!

Shayaan

Thanks a lot!

Hey Bombini you're right, it should zoom out when moving to give a better view. But I actually don't know zoom out functions in Stencyl. That's why in Digibots 2, I'm cutting down on the size of players and enemies upto like 300%, to give a better view.

Do you know how do I make the zoom out effect?

I assume by saying launcher you mean the grenade launcher kind of weapon. I don't know if saying overpowered is right, but I think there should be a limited amount of grenades (about 5) because right now, there are infinite number of them if you let the energy recharge.

JeffreyDriver

To zoom use a custom code block:

Code: [Select]
engine.setZoom(_CameraZoom);
_CameraZoom is the name of a number attribute.
Current Projects:
Retro Redux Compilation (NEW).
Retro Redux (untitled) (NEW).
I always appreciate useful feedback. Thank you.
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

Shayaan

Thanks Jeffrey :)

And yeah thanks for the help in writing the description and intro!

JeffreyDriver

Current Projects:
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

JeffreyDriver

I love the graphics, they work really well. The gameplay is smooth and for the most part the controls are good, but I'd like a second way of switching weapons. Maybe use space to cycle through them? Then I can do it without moving my hands from the wasd keys.

On the first level, if you head straight for the edge, the enemy might spawn off screen, so you can't kill it. Also, it possible to leave the screen yourself.

Current Projects:
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

Shayaan

Done!

You may try it - https://shayaankhan.itch.io/digibots

EDIT: For the camera zoom, I have to understand it a bit to implement it in my game. Which will take time. And currently, I have other things to be done.

JeffreyDriver

You may want to keep the number controls as well, so people have a choice.
Current Projects:
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

Shayaan

Actually right now, I've stopped working on this game. Now I've started working on a sequel.

Shayaan

Digibots is free to play now! Play here in your browser - https://shayaankhan.itch.io/digibots

Back when my game was released on 15th February '18, the demo was playable right in the browser and the full game was available to be purchased for 1$. Now looking at the commercial failure of my game, I thought it would be great to make the game totally free to play as I've already started working on Digibots2.

Vaibhav Sangwan

I thought it would be great to make the game totally free to play as I've already started working on Digibots2.
I liked Digibots very much(especially controls and animations).
Looking forward to what you will come up with Digibots 2.