Publishing your Linux games on Steam?

Shayaan

I was working on the sequel of my game Digibots, and I've been getting sound problems lately working on flash. So I thought "why not make a Linux version of my game and publish it on Steam?" I don't have any experience for the Linux platform - tbh I don't even own the Indie version of Stencyl. And I don't know how the Linux gaming market is like right now.

For me, It's would be a risk investing $100 on Stencyl Indie and $100 for getting my game up on Steam.

So anybody have any experience or knowledge about getting Linux games on Steam ???

rob1221

The process should be similar to PC, and you need to be on Linux to make a build for it.  You won't get much in sales though, maybe 1-2% of the PC version.

Shayaan

1-2% of the PC version? That's quite low. But I'm actually thinking about making something unique for Linux.

Do you have any experience in publishing Linux games to Steam?

And yes, I'm using Ubuntu.

EDIT: Making something unique means that I want to make a game that is better than most of the Linux games on Steam. So I believe I would have less competition If I were to put the same game for Windows. But I think the sales would still be lower than Windows.

rob1221

No, I haven't published with Linux because I'm not familar with it and the low sales make it hard to justify the time.  If you're hoping to make that Steam direct fee back, then you definitely want a Windows build too.

Shayaan

Oh! I should consider publishing for Windows too.

So I guess I must have a Windows PC to make that build, or I can publish it with an Ubuntu PC as well?

rob1221

You'll need a Windows PC.

NobodyX

What Rob said. But you can use the same PC to have both Ubuntu and Windows installed at the same time. Or maybe even use a VM (virtual machine), I'm not sure.

Vaibhav Sangwan

On  windows 10, you can add multiple operating systems to virtual box and then use them whenever you want.