Easter Fun

NickamonPoppytail

I've just spent the last few hours making a very small Easter egg hunt game, simply called "Easter Fun". In it, you can play as Dizzy and King Ted from The World of Elecreatures, a pink dragon called SLiM and a blue version of Easter Bunny from Poppytail called Fluoride.

You can get the game here for free. It is not canon or related in any way to any of my other three series other than the fact two characters were borrowed from Elecreatures (and even then, Dizzy is one of my pets in real life).

Hope you find some enjoyment in this extremely short game! ;)
RIP Pirate Wray
April 2002-September 2018

JeffreyDriver

You should export it to flash.
Current Projects:
Retro Redux Compilation (NEW).
Retro Redux (untitled) (NEW).
I always appreciate useful feedback. Thank you.
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

NickamonPoppytail

RIP Pirate Wray

NickamonPoppytail

Alright, Easter Fun has been published to GameJolt as a Flash download as well as uploaded to the Stencyl Arcade.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 03:46:40 pm by NickamonPoppytail »
RIP Pirate Wray

JeffreyDriver

I've had a play and here are my thoughts:

The graphics are still really, really rough. Graphics don't make a game great (however, great games can be made with really primitive graphics.) but at the moment, the graphics aren't doing your games any favours.

I've talked graphics to you before, but I feel I need to mention it again. Years ago, my professor gave me some very useful advice, and that was to try and reduce my work to be most basic elements, and then see how I could change things in simple ways in order to project new meanings or separate content.

Check out this game: https://www.kongregate.com/games/keybol/pretentious-game (It's not one of mine!) Rudimentary graphics, simple gameplay. Yet, on kongregate, a site known for its users to spout vitriol and be generally negative, the game not only did well, but has been made badge of the day several times.

My point is, make something fun and interesting to play. Worry about graphics later.

The controls are smooth and responsive. No issues there.

There seemed to be no threat or difficulty. Was I just lucky?

Current Projects:
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

JeffreyDriver

Alright, Easter Fun has been published to GameJolt as a Flash download as well as uploaded to the Stencyl Arcade.

I've had a thought about this game, and it would work really well as a strategy game!

With a move-to-grid system, you would need to out-maneuver  your enemies (a bit like chess)
Current Projects:
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

NickamonPoppytail

I've had a play and here are my thoughts:

The graphics are still really, really rough. Graphics don't make a game great (however, great games can be made with really primitive graphics.) but at the moment, the graphics aren't doing your games any favours.

I've talked graphics to you before, but I feel I need to mention it again. Years ago, my professor gave me some very useful advice, and that was to try and reduce my work to be most basic elements, and then see how I could change things in simple ways in order to project new meanings or separate content.

Check out this game: https://www.kongregate.com/games/keybol/pretentious-game (It's not one of mine!) Rudimentary graphics, simple gameplay. Yet, on kongregate, a site known for its users to spout vitriol and be generally negative, the game not only did well, but has been made badge of the day several times.

My point is, make something fun and interesting to play. Worry about graphics later.

The controls are smooth and responsive. No issues there.

There seemed to be no threat or difficulty. Was I just lucky?

I have to agree graphics were rushed. This was finished at 11:30pm for me and I rushed to have the graphics done. This game was an Easter present for a family member and they loved it.

The only real "threats" in the game are rotten eggs; green and cracked eggs which just give you a game over. There is only a 1% chance of these spawning, though.

I've had a thought about this game, and it would work really well as a strategy game!

With a move-to-grid system, you would need to out-maneuver  your enemies (a bit like chess)

This does sound like a good idea, however I would rather focus on my main projects. If enough people want me to fix up the graphics and add more updates in the future, I would be happy to do so.
RIP Pirate Wray

NickamonPoppytail

That is a really good game.
RIP Pirate Wray

NickamonPoppytail

Hello everyone,

There's now an update which is only on GameJolt due to shaders playing a more important role, called the Insanity Update. On the new Windows version, you can play as normal, or you can type "insanity" on the character select screen for a larger level with more egg types:

Normal Egg: Adds to your score and creates more eggs.
8-Bit Egg: Adds to your score, creates more eggs and clears all shaders.
Invert Egg: Adds to your score, creates more eggs and applies the invert shader.
Grayscale Egg: Adds to your score, creates more eggs and applies the grayscale shader.
Fire Egg: Adds to your score, creates more eggs and applies a thermal shader.
Hallucination Egg: Adds a large amount to your score (larger than any of the other eggs), but creates an extremely disorientating version of the Stencylpedia ripple shader.
Rotten Egg: Subtracts 20 from your score.
Chocolate Egg: Ends your run and updates your highscore.

Hope you can have some fun with this :) ! This came from me playing around with the normal version, but instead of collecting a chocolate egg, I just avoided those and tried to see how many eggs I could fill the screen with.
RIP Pirate Wray

NickamonPoppytail

Eggxtinction Update!
https://gamejolt.com/games/easterfun/330302

This update includes another 13 new characters, as well as an improvement to the Insanity Mode.

File size was too big for the Stencyl Arcade.

Here are all of the characters so far:
APPARITION (Poppytail 5)

Dizzy (The World of Elecreatures/Poppytail Series)

Exister (Poppytail 5)

Fluoride

Greg (The World of Elecreatures)

Haunt-Cheesestick (Poppytail 4: Special Edition)

Jawlock (Poppytail 5)

Jenni la Crevette

King Ted (The World of Elecreatures)

Nursina (Poppytail 5)

Poppytail (The Poppytales)

SLiM

Virus APPARITION (The Poppytales)

Virus Dizzy (The Poppytales)

Virus Exister (The Poppytales)

Virus Greg (The Poppytales)

Virus Haunt-Cheesestick (The Poppytales)

Virus Jawlock (The Poppytales)

Virus Nursina (The Poppytales)

Virus Wicked Dizzy Dog (The Poppytales)

Virus Wicked Gizmo Girl (The Poppytales)

Virus Wicked Lizard Pepper (The Poppytales)

Virus Wicked Pirate Bunny (The Poppytales)

Virus Wicked Ulfytail (The Poppytales)

Wicked Dizzy Dog (Poppytail 4: Special Edition)

Wicked Gizmo Girl (Poppytail 4: Special Edition)

Wicked Lizard Pepper (Poppytail 4: Special Edition)

Wicked Pirate Bunny (Poppytail 4: Special Edition)

Wicked Ulfytail (Poppytail 4: Special Edition)

RIP Pirate Wray

NickamonPoppytail

New Easter Fun update coming out tomorrow morning: the Dash Update!

https://gamejolt.com/games/easterfun/330302

This update adds in nine new characters: Purple Shirt Guy, Rabby, Ghost and Distort from A Game About Trimming Hedges, as well as five other new characters.

I think I mentioned another small project I was making a while ago (called One Million). I haven't worked on it, but it is nearly finished and will hopefully come out soon. Five of the game's playable characters also make appearances here: Hood, Chocbar, Bunny, Midnight and Daggercat.

You can also move at twice your normal speed in Insanity/Eggxtinction mode. If anyone still does not know how to access this game mode (also available in the Insanity, Crossover and Eggxtinction updates), type INSANITY into the character select screen before selecting your character.

This update is paid, by the way, although it's only for 50 cents. If you want a GameJolt key to play it (Windows only, sorry), then just PM me.

New Characters:

Purple Shirt Guy (A Game About Trimming Hedges)

Rabby (A Game About Trimming Hedges)

Ghost (A Game About Trimming Hedges)

Distort (A Game About Trimming Hedges)

Hood (One Million)

Chocbar (One Million)

Bunny (One Million)

Midnight (One Million)

Daggercat (One Million)

RIP Pirate Wray