[SOLVED] How to update Regions without collisions?

xRANDBOx

i have the scene set where the Player starts inside of "Region 0".  I am aware that the region block detects entry and exit, there is also a if actor is inside region. the issue i am having is, when the actor/player enters/starts in the region, events do not occur until player has a collision. such as colliding with a wall or object. exiting region seems to be working but that is a result of collision getting things started in the region. is there a way to make the actor/player force update what region it is in? thanks.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 03:26:35 pm by xRANDBOx »

colburt187

You could use the 'Actor is inside region' block in an updating event.

when updating
 if player is inside region 0
do thing.

Vaibhav Sangwan

create the region outside of the screen and then in when created event of the scene, move it to the desired place. That should work I think.

xRANDBOx

You could use the 'Actor is inside region' block in an updating event.

when updating
 if player is inside region 0
do thing.

i have used the 'Actor is inside region' block with the same result as creating the region event on the left list.As i mentioned in the post. Both have required that a collision take place with the player before events start. As of now i have and am working with a NULL object to constantly bump into player so that the regions will update like they should. Though it is a pain having to find a solution to make regions refresh and work as intended.

JeffreyDriver

How many regions are you dealing with? You could just check the position of the player. E.g if x-centre of player is > VALUE and x-centre of player is < VALUE etc.

In an updating event, that would always be running.
Current Projects:
Retro Redux Compilation (NEW).
Retro Redux (untitled) (NEW).
I always appreciate useful feedback. Thank you.
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

xRANDBOx

currently dealing with 5 regions for the first level. Checking player position to mark event as true sounds very interesting. i will check this out.  This may have solved my issue, instead of using regions ill use check position. Thank you for the idea!

xRANDBOx

YES! This solved the issue! Thanks JeffreyDriver!

How many regions are you dealing with? You could just check the position of the player. E.g if x-centre of player is > VALUE and x-centre of player is < VALUE etc.

In an updating event, that would always be running.

Sample Code attached.

JeffreyDriver

I'm glad it worked. I tried using regions a long time ago, but it really dragged down performance. Using maths was much less intensive on the engine.

It's a bit more effort on your part to set the x y min max values, but in terms of performance, it's good.
Current Projects:
Retro Redux Compilation (NEW).
Retro Redux (untitled) (NEW).
I always appreciate useful feedback. Thank you.
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk