Behavior: Scale collision boxes with Actor

Greg

As you may know, when you scale an Actor up or down using the "grow by" block - this doesn't do anything with the collision shapes.

I'm working on a behavior that will allow you to sync up the collision shape with the size of the Actor.  Here's a quick demo.

<a href="http://static.stencyl.com/games/2119-5.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://static.stencyl.com/games/2119-5.swf</a>

« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 08:05:24 am by Greg »

Jon

Great job! Reminds me of something from Yoshi's island.

Greg

Thanks guys, this now seems to be working for single shape and multiple shape animations for boxes, circles, polygons.

The only case that doesn't work as expected is having a circular collision shape that is not in the very center of the Actor.  I can't find a way to move a circular fixture around like I can with polygons, so I'm going to table this piece for now.  Not sure how big of a deal that is anyway.

Greg

Ok the behavior is up on Forge.  I may work on it again when I have more time, but maybe not.

Behavior name: Scale Collision With Actor

Joe

That is awesome! I didn't know it was possible to rescale the collision shapes without confusing Box2D.

Greg

Thanks Joe - at first I was going to try to just kill the body and recreate the scaled version of it - but I found that it was possible to just move the vertices around.  I'm not sure if Box2d technically likes this, but it has seemed to work out fine so far :)

Jon-iPad

Thanks Joe - at first I was going to try to just kill the body and recreate the scaled version of it - but I found that it was possible to just move the vertices around.  I'm not sure if Box2d technically likes this, but it has seemed to work out fine so far :)

Do you have to call any reset function to confirm the "change" or does it automatically work?

Jon-iPad

Because right now, region resizing uses the destroy and remake method. I wonder if this approach would make more sense.

Greg

Right now it just works automatically when I update the vertices.  I can try to look into it for regions.

Jon

That would be terrific, but if you find it regresses (stuff like it stops detecting collisions after you resize), then we'll stick to what we have today.

Stencyl Ninja

I can't find this on the Forge and it looks awesome .... where can I get it?

captaincomic

I think you don't need a behavior for that anymore. There's a switch in the actor physics settings to scale collision boxes when using the grow block.

Stencyl Ninja

Sweet ... I didn't notice that, thanks!