My First Stencyl Game

ArcaneGamer

Feedback appreciated! I'm new to the community and would love to grow within it. You can play it here by searching "Fallen Asterisk" or copy and pasting http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/38715

merrak

I think it's a good start. It took me a while to figure out what I was supposed to do, but once I figured it out I thought it was a fun little game.

Pros-- I like the quick restart for these types of games. The challenge escalated at a good rate. It's a good foundation to build on.

Negatives-- The sound effect when you crash gets annoying after a while. It sounds like you have the sound triggering in an 'on collision' event, which triggers every frame. So the sound effects stack. It's very loud. If you add a delay so that the sound effect isn't triggered too many times in a row, it won't be so jarring.

Good job!

ArcaneGamer

Thanks, I'll look into it. Something like a counter for the sound or an instant destruction of the rocks could help. In the fight scene between the other star, I use recoil to prevent the sound from stacking. I must say, after learning Stencyl and releasing a game, it feels great to hear another voice about it besides my own. The uncertainty was itching me, aha.

merrak

The simplest solution would be to play the sound when the rock actor is killed, rather than on the collision. I have a scene behavior I import into almost every project I want sound in that's basically a counter method. It works pretty well.