AdMob and GDPR

RulezTeam

Hi riki,
when you open a project and/or clean a project, first of all, you MUST open byrobin extension manager, so it enable itself, and you can compile without error your project.

Anyway, since Monday, Google has released the source of  Admob Consent SDK, so now, it can be integrated in the Stencyl extension.  (https://github.com/googleads/googleads-consent-sdk-android), and here we can find the doc  (https://developers.google.com/admob/android/eu-consent).

When it will be integrate in Stencyl ?

riki82

Thank you for the tip!
I do not know how to create extensions, otherwise I would have already started to do it ... we hope that the Stencyl team will consider integrating the Consent Sdk.
In the meantime I'm updating my games excluding AdMob and using only Unity Ads.
When Stencyl allows it, I will re-integrate Admob again

RulezTeam

Why are you doing so ?

The problem will be still present in all your app that has been downloaded and if no one download your update, you still have this GDPR problem.

I think that you can make invisible your app for all Europe country,  so no update now, and after the SDK integration.

Really, I don't know what to do, but something, someone call help us to better understand

Hi everybody

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread but we are close to buying a license so we can release a mobile game and this thread has me a little bit worried. Am I right in thinking that:

1. We can't release games using the current public stencyl release anymore as it doesn't support the newer iPhones
2. Due to GDPR using the inbuilt Admob Ads is inadvisable or impossible
3. The Unity Ads extension (mentioned in the forums) doesn't support the newer versions of stencyl.

Are there any other viable Ad options available in Stencyl at the moment?

We where going to buy the unity Ads extension from byRobin  so would happily pay for the use of another extension or to have this one updated.

Colburt187 (Hi, your games are awesome btw) you mentioned that you where in the process of having a unity ads extension built, do you know if you will be making this available for others to purchase once it is complete? If not are you able to give any information of the service or developer you are using as we really need a concrete monetization strategy in place before we commit to Stencyl.

Thanks (again sorry for hijacking the thread)

RulezTeam

Hi Sausage,

little answer :

1 - you MUST have the new private build to compile for new iPhone but for compile with api target 26 for Android too
2 - I hope that Justin or rob can integrate the new SDK in a couple of days.
3 - that extension works with new private versione of Stencyl.  There are only minor changes to do

It'll be a good thing if Colburt187 can tell us what he intend to do with the his extension

riki82

Why are you doing so ?

The problem will be still present in all your app that has been downloaded and if no one download your update, you still have this GDPR problem.

I think that you can make invisible your app for all Europe country,  so no update now, and after the SDK integration.

Really, I don't know what to do, but something, someone call help us to better understand

Forgive me, but it makes no sense what you said about the "non-updated" apps.
If the user does not update the game, it's not my problem.
I made the necessary changes to be GDPR Compliant and my legal duties are completed.
In my games I'm putting a link to the privacy that the user can read.
From the AdSense (does it include Admob?) console I have selected not to display personalized ads in my games for all European citizens for my "non updated" games.
I do not think a developer can do anything else.
I will never delete or hide my apps from the European stores, also because in reality I do not save any user data, it's Google that saves user data and should think about it to solve the problem, as it did Unity.... and if Unity has solved the problem by itself, I do not understand why it can not even Google...

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 09:06:52 am by riki82 »

colburt187

The current unity extension works with the latest version of Stencyl and is GDPR compliant, Past apps are fine because the user dowloaded them before the GDPR laws came into effect so any data stored was done before the laws. All new downloads will be GDPR compliant if using Unity Ads only.

colburt187

Im hoping the new Unity extension will be ready soon, we are testing it now, once its ready I will share it on the forums.

Hi Riki82 and Colburt187, thanks for your answers.

Looks like Unity is the best option atm so we're going to get ourselves a Stencyl subscription and see what happens.

Thanks again

xplosion28

Saw this a little later than I would have liked, but just to be sure if I remove the availability of my app to all countries excluding European ones I should be fine correct?  Unfortunately I’m out of the country and don’t have access to my mac to update the game with the Unity ads, so this is my only option.

Just sucks when 70% of my revenue comes from Europe :/ (even if its not much, still enjoy seeing a little bit of change in my Adsense account).

riki82

Saw this a little later than I would have liked, but just to be sure if I remove the availability of my app to all countries excluding European ones I should be fine correct?  Unfortunately I’m out of the country and don’t have access to my mac to update the game with the Unity ads, so this is my only option.

Just sucks when 70% of my revenue comes from Europe :/ (even if its not much, still enjoy seeing a little bit of change in my Adsense account).

I'm updating my games and I'll do it in the next few months.
I have no intention of removing them from the stores.
My personal opinion: I do not think that tomorrow they will come to your home to make a sanction...
P.s.: In Italy, the privacy guarantor gave 6 months more before making sanctions.
In your state?

colburt187

Yeah, there is no immediate rush, as long as you have a plan and are working towards being compliant over the next few months you will be fine.

capitanox

I hope we can see in stencyl dialog  to ask user to accept if not the game exit .that what most big company did

designpeg

I think the answer is for Google to incorporate a choice for serving ads that stores/transmits NO personal info to EU users.   
They are seemingly trying to get around this so they can still collect info - GDPR as I understand it doesn't allow you to give users the choice of either agree  OR use a service.

In my next game, I've creating a series of mock ads that will be displayed if there is no internet connection (to dissuade people playing in airplane mode) - iI know they make me no cash, except that they can encourage people to buy the ad free version, if Admob forces a choice, I will probably show these in eu, and rely on income from the rest of the world (not ideal).

RulezTeam

I hope we can see in stencyl dialog  to ask user to accept if not the game exit .that what most big company did

I think that if we have a third possibility is a good thing. For example the user can selected to disable the Advertising ID, so the ads is showed but with no targeting.